_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
88mm FLAK 36 (6260) dragon
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 09:48 PM UTC
hi everyone, after finishing a series of shermans and surely i must take a break on it. my latest project 'in progress' be the Flak 36 from dragon. construction phase is almost done and reading the instruction sheet is quite a challenge too. with lots of version and directional arrows..i sometimes ended up doing the wrong thing. the loading tray with folded rod should have been B28(extended rod) what is this for? anyway corrections will be made as i progresses with the flak.

comments and suggestions are welcome. thanks all.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
Ed,

Looks good so far. I have this kit in the stash. Any challenges other than the instructions I need to watch for?
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC
hi thomas,

well some parts like..the lock pins on the legs..you should know by this time which version you like..folded legs for transportation or legs down for operation. and other parts like the sqaure feet 4 of them(E7), the vertical lock(D14),. oh yes..the (F)figure seating position operating the wheel..an empuzzlement..how can he fit in the cramped space during operation. the gunshield too could be a problem for his streched legs.color references for the flak on different units are not enough. i like building this kit..that i might build a tranport version of the 88 FLAK 36.

well you could always try a 'what if'..mount the FLAK on an open bed of a FAMO..with a pair of stabilizers on both sides. there's this thread somewhere here that already discusses this version..i guess it existed and somebody did it already.

thanks thomas.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 03:53 PM UTC
Ed,

Thanks for the info! Keep us posted on your progress.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC
I guess with a kitset of 1000 and something parts means that a few mistakes might creep in when compiling the instructions! Now that I see it in the plastic and under construction I'm sorely tempted to have a go myself. Thanks for the report Ed.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:50 AM UTC
ohh my!!!

I have this beauty in my stash, been too afraid to attempt it, and now that were trying to sell our house, all of my modeling stuff is in storage

guess i might give it a go after we get moved
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that I see it in the plastic and under construction I'm sorely tempted to have a go myself.

Jeff, have to agree with you, every time I see one of these being built I'm tempted to pick one up. As I really have no interest in 88's, it's unlikely I will, but I really do think it's a great looking kit.
Florre
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 980 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
wow, really looks like a challenge... But very good job! Will come out nicely with a good coat of paint.

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 04:26 PM UTC
Looking good!
Man this kit is sooooo much more advanced than the old Tamiya one I built years ago!

Keep up the good work,

James
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
hi and thank you guys..more pictures..this time i sprayed it with gloss and flat black for primers. no significant on the glossy paint..except i don't want to empty my flat black paint on this project. the black paint also serves as the base color of the gun from there i can adjust the color to german/field grey as per specs for the artillery unit operated in caucasus during 1942/43.

i used tamiya field grey and tamiya german grey for the second coating. for the spools and cables..light grey and flat black.

and the overview of the 88 FLAK 36 with transport wheel carriers.

one question..what other type of halftrack pulls the 88 Flak36? this weekend i'll check the hobbie store for halftracks to go with. thanks again.

darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hello Ed
The most popular half-track to tow the 8.8cm was the SdKfz 7 8-ton half-track. Which was done by Tamiya many years ago.
I think its about time we had a new kit of it, (please Dragon).
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
MAN! That looks very complex!
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC
hi everyone, thanks for the kind words. hopefully dragon will provide us the Sdkfz 7 to go with the 88FLAK36..if not..tamiya's version is still acceptable and may need some upgradings for other modellers. on the FLAK..i've fixed the folding rod by cutting and repositioning the end part. shown here is part B28 still intact..and B29 with scratchbuilt catch support.

unfortunately disaster came early during painting. pressure on my airbrush was so strong it ruined the base color. i tried handpainting the camouflage but it worsen the problem. the camou scheme looks so bad that it's shouting for help. finally i've fixed the compressor's PSI and 'nuetralized' the problem. the airbrush saved the day.

with camping tools and accessories.

next setting up the figures and secodary models. the demag is italeri, other firgures from tamiya. with all the stuffs coming in..an artillery diorama would be nice.

comments and suggestion are welcome. thanks again.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
hi everyone.....and here's the boxes and wickercasings.

sprayed it with flatblack and lightly drybrushed the surface with buff mixed with flesh enough to show the details of the weaving.

cheers.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 06:01 PM UTC
hi everyone, more 'in progress' pictures..applying decals and weathering..

with figures and accessories..

some figures will be excluded during the 'finished' photo shoot. a few more weathering and detailing and it's almost done. comments and suggestions are very much welcome. thanks all.
JackBlock
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hello Ed,
I like your work. You look like you've got all of the figures doing something, and it looks as though they are all working together. I like how you have varied the white of the uniforms, varied the shades of "off white". Their helmets, appear be a uniform white, not varied as their uniforms. Could be my monitor. I like what you have done. keep it up.

Cheers

Dave
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 02:35 PM UTC
hi dave, thanks for the kind words and suggestions. the crew needed some weathering and specially the helmets. i'm still looking for a good reference pics for the flak and its crew..
considering a secondary model..will the set-up look awkward if i'll use a FAMO as tractor for the FLAK36? the sdkfz 7 halftrack is a hard to find kit here in this part of the globe. plus details of the halftrack needs some upgrading. another question i may add is..can a tractor from a different unit pulls a Flak from another unit..giving two different scheme of camouflage? i haven't seen a combo of two different scheme. just an idea i like to do. thanks again.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
Great job on the 88 MM so far Ed.

Will be a fine looking piece when done.

Have you seen this thing?

Kind of first time I ever saw this contraption

liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 11:01 PM UTC
hi and thanks..nice picture you got there jeff. i think the cannon is up for maintenance or replacement. looks like a regular truck..the boom and complex winches interest me. surely the crew will have a hard time lifting that cannon. maybe somebody can ID the truck and we might get lucky..a resin kit is available. nice to consider as secondary model for a dio.

thanks for sharing. ed
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC
When I was a kid, I always wanted the Tamiya flak gun. I never could afford it. I almost got this kit when the LHS shelves were filled with them. I didn't get it. Now seeing your build, I am sorry I didn't. Nice build.
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Ed,
my congratulations for the job you have.

Do you have any idea about those colored rings around the barrel?

George
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 01:09 PM UTC
hi carl and george..thanks for viewing. no concrete idea on the rings..my hunch is it represents the number of hits they made..

thanks again for viewing and the nice words.
MUNROS
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 12:35 AM UTC
ED HI! It's kind of late to be posting a reply to a 6 year old post, I know. But there is a reason. I just posted a question about the lights on the fenders of the carriage. Wondering what color the lenses would be. No responses so far. thought you might visit this post again for the hell of it, and help me out. Anyway... Your build looks really good, i just looked at another post where the gut used a lot of PE, REALLY nice addition. I just finished building mine, and loved it. It was my 4TH. build, and worked out nicely. Also, I DON'T mean to be critical, It looks as though the breech block is open?If so that handle on top of the breech should be swung out. Hope you had as good a time as I did building it. RONNY. If you see this, don't forget my question. THANKS.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 10:18 PM UTC
hi Ronald.. the lenses..didn't paint it..my guess a set of white or red..beside they'll be dirt on once they're on transport mode. thanks for the tip..kinda late for my reply..nice to meet you..Ronald. Ed
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
Great to see old threads like this brought back to life again. Nice build Ed.

Quoted Text

Jeff, have to agree with you, every time I see one of these being built I'm tempted to pick one up. As I really have no interest in 88's, it's unlikely I will, but I really do think it's a great looking kit.

For anybody that has never tried one of these Dragon kits, do yourself a favour ... one of the finest engineered kits ever released. I also build the "37" version, and its a treat. Awesome kits.
 _GOTOTOP