_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
For a beginner
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:49 PM UTC
I am interested in builting a r/c verision of a model. As a beginner I am not really sure what i am getting into. I am looking for suggestions for a great R/C Model kit to start off with that doesn't cost big money. I am interested in the build part of it and the ability to drive over stuff. any help would go along way. Oh and good places to find them on the internet! Any scale would be fine. Thank you.
Photobug
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:44 PM UTC
I have been anxious to get into an R/C tank as well, but not sure where to start
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 03:31 PM UTC
Ack... sorry for the lack of a reply to this. Summer is slow but topics still get buried quickly in the main forum unless you are sorting by group. Did you both look in the "Large Scale" group in this forum as well. Many RC topics are actually in there.

Hopefully this time around someone will decide to be more helpful.

Cheers,
Jim
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 02:20 PM UTC
Well, that really depends on what you mean by "big money". RTR's in 1/16th scale (ready to run) are already built and can cost anywhere between $80.00 to $120.00 and can be upgraded and modified.

Tamiya tanks are 1/16th kits that can cost around $480.00 to $900.00 depending on which model you choose.

Smaller scale kits (1/25th) are remote controlled and are usually $50.00 to $70.00.

There are different sources like ebay and small business online to shop for these.

HTH

Jeff
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:36 AM UTC
yea i also wana try my hand at making an rc tank. either a 1/35th scale conversion of a static kit or a 1/25th scale one if i can find a 1/25th scale tank i like. so far all ive seen are the academy panthers and some SU 100 kit by some company like new star or something. im planning on starting once i finish up my king tiger model ( which is after the zimmerit arrives)
any advice on what components to use for the conversion in 1/35th? which motors and electrical stuff are commonly used? im thinking of a T34 76 or an IS 2. any other kits in 1/25th other than the panthers? ive heard that 1/25th scale isnt too popular so i understand it might be a bit hard to track em down.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:28 AM UTC
Converting a regular plastic model from static to R/C is really not feasable. You'd be better off trying to find a kit. You might be able to stuff the radio, servos, motors and battery into some of the older Tamiya kits which were designed to be motorized, but with a one direction/speed on/off switch.
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:43 AM UTC
well i have seen some videos of 1/35th scale panzer IVs and Jagdtigers running around on RC, multiple speeds (looked like it) turning, turret rotation and all. As far as i know nobody makes motorized Panzer IVs in 1/35th so they were most likely conversions. So hard, perhaps, but i wouldnt say impossible. any guides on the net about how to do this? so i can read them through and see if im up for the challenge.

also VStank made those little tiny carricature IR tanks with rotating turrets and working IR cannons. maybe the internals from those can be used with the extra space being able to accomodate an ESC and stronger motor to pull the bigger tank.
 _GOTOTOP