_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Abrams M1A2 SEP
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 05:44 PM UTC
Jeremy (Herchealer) brings us his first impression of the new Abrams M1A2 SEP by Dragon Models.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 05:54 PM UTC
Great review Jeremy. Thanks.

Erik
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC
Damn this review made me want to buy one of these beauties instantly! I love those slogans on the barrel - best one is Cowboys from Hell and Heavens no, Hell yeah! ^^

A little disappointment in my eyes are the lacking MagicTracks...
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A little disappointment in my eyes are the lacking MagicTracks...

Trust me, new DS tracks are MUCH better than Magic Tracks that were included in M1A1AIM kit and were the only "left-overs" from M1 Panther II kit. These old tracks had noticeably undersized guide horns and end connectors molded together with links what made the tracks look odd around sprockets and idlers. There were also ejector pin marks on all links and the fit of these links was not perfect either...

All in all I'm very glad that Magic Tracks were not used - in my opinion they were the worst part of AIM kit. I like new DS tracks a lot. Attaching (correct size!) guide horns is very quick and easy, tracks look much better around sprocket and idler wheels and are every bit as well detailed Magic Tracks were.

By the way, DS tracks are T158LL type with holes in guide horns, Magic Tracks were T158 which are not suitable for SEP tanks (at least theoretically, although I have a photo of a SEP tank on these old tracks in my collection).

Pawel
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:03 AM UTC
Nice Review Jeremy, thanks for writing it.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:07 AM UTC
Good review. Thanks for doing it.

I pre-ordered the M1A2 SEP from SprueBrothers yesterday. After looking at your sprue scans, I'm really anxious to get ahold of the kit.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:10 AM UTC
What is the cost of this kit and when will it be available? I have a few projects to do for a couple of big shows next year and they both include this M1.
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the cost of this kit and when will it be available?

They are listed at a price of $37.55 at Great Models. Supposedly available now. They were pre-order yesterday and say in stock today.

It looks great. I am going to have to get one soon.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:42 PM UTC
Thanks for this first look. I look forward to seeing more as the kit gets built.

Not to be too critical at all but the review seems to just be a talk through of the assembly instructions. There is nothing about accuracy, measurements, or anything that is lacking in the kit....is there anything not included for a proper M1A2 SEP? Great if everything is there and accurate.

Are there any foreseen assembly issues compared to the M1A1 AIM?

What about accessories? I see CIP panels, jerry cans, ammo boxes, etc. on the sprues. The box art shows a tow bar attached to the hull, is this included?

Again, it's great to see this kit finally out, and thanks for the time put in to the review but maybe I have come to expect more from reviews about kits that are apparently toted to be better than sliced bread.

Don't get me wrong, I think the kit looks very nice...it's the Abrams kit I have been waiting for.
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 08:50 PM UTC
I ordered the SEP and AIM from LuckyModels yesterday, can't wait for them to arrive. The SEP is going for $35 at Lucky.

Pawel, any chance of Dragon releasing a new USMC M1A1 based on the AIM?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What is the cost of this kit and when will it be available?

They are listed at a price of $37.55 at Great Models. Supposedly available now. They were pre-order yesterday and say in stock today.

It looks great. I am going to have to get one soon.

My M1A2 was bought from Spruebrothers on pre-order the 24th for $34.99 + tax + shipping. It was shipped on the 25th. I'm supposed to receive it today.
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC
Thank you Pawel, I didn't know the MagicTracks were not as accurate as the DS tracks obviously are.

johannes
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about accessories? I see CIP panels, jerry cans, ammo boxes, etc. on the sprues. The box art shows a tow bar attached to the hull, is this included?

I got my M1A2 SEP from the brown truck guy today . In regards to your question about what kind of accessories are in the kit, here is a vague (I might miss something) list:

1.The tow bar is included (It comprises of 11 pieces). The only thing you could do to improve this tow bar is to add some retaining chains for the pins that are in the tow bar.

2. There are two (one is extra) M2 .50 caliber machine guns in the kit. The feed tray covers for both the M2 and the M240 are molded seperately. The kit includes injected ammo belts (1 ea. for M2 and M240).

3. You have the choice between two different air/wind sensors.

4. There are two different types of grenades for both the launchers and the reload boxes.

5. You get a printed sheet to produce four MRE cases. Each MRE case consists of the inner box and the slip case cover that is a seperate item.

6. You get two oil drip pans

7. There are 3 fuel cans and 3 water cans

8. Four CIP panels

9. Four 20mm/40mm (not sure which caliber they represent) ammo cans that are not required in the kit instructions.

10. Two .50 cal ammo boxes that stow in front of the turret side BII/stowage boxes.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
So it looks like its basically the AIM kit with a few SEP components that the AIM didn't have and the DS tracks instead of the Magic Tracks.

With that said, CAN'T WAIT to get mine!
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC
Did the M1A1 AIM also have the tow bars included?

Thanks in advance,
Johannes.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
The M1A1 AIM does have the tow bar.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So it looks like its basically the AIM kit with a few SEP components that the AIM didn't have and the DS tracks instead of the Magic Tracks.

It may be based on most of the AIM parts, but has been highly modified as well. Besides the M1A2 specific parts (ICWS and CITV), the left rear upper hull has also been redesigned to convert it to a SEP. Also, SEP specific parts such as the UUAPU and Hawker battery case parts, VCU, GPS Antenna, etc, have also been added.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It may be based on most of the AIM parts, but has been highly modified as well. Besides the M1A2 specific parts (ICWS and CITV), the left rear upper hull has also been redesigned to convert it to a SEP. Also, SEP specific parts such as the UUAPU and Hawker battery case parts, VCU, GPS Antenna, etc, have also been added.

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware that it was that modified. I guess a quick glance it doesn't look much different until you really look at it and break down the specs.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:04 AM UTC
I need to stop reading some of these reviews. My list of wants is quickly out pacing my income,,,lol

Nice review and thanks!

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC
Brent,

Thanks for the breakdown of the extras in the kit.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC
Sure is tempting to not get one now at Great Models.

But what to do with the AIM can't have three of the same model or close to same not enough room in cases for all of them.

Any ideas on that build a new larger showcase?

But glass is big $$$ now.
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
Got mine waiting at the LHS and will get it on Saturday. From the looks of the pics it seems that this is another stunner of a kit.

However I am not happy with the choice of DS tracks instead of individual links. If the links were wrong in the other kit than Dragon could have corrected them. I guess that someone in the aftermarket world will make some and I'll buy them. Sorry but the DS tracks on the Late Tiger are not as detailed as the tracks on the box art. The box art looks like separate pieces of metal, the DS tracks don't. There is a limit to the detail that DS tracks can have and looking like individual links is not going to happen with rubber bands. Compared to the Intial Tiger that I built with the individual links the DS tracks just don't cut it. Sorry but IMHO.

In the meantime dreams of sytrene will dance through my head until I hit the doors of the LHS.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thank you all for your comments. This was my first review so I apologize if i might have missed some things. A special thanks to all of you who have added to the review in this post. I will be doing a build review, but being as I am Currently Deployed, I will not be able to paint it, But i should Have Excellent reference material, if you catch my drift. Glad you guys found it helpful.

Jeremy
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the review.
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 05:14 AM UTC
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but I got mine on Thursday and they already have corrected the instructions by including an addendum.
 _GOTOTOP