_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
New Concord Book on Monte Cassino
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:02 PM UTC
Concord Publications have just announced a new book which should have equal interest to both Allied and Axis modelers. The Fall of Monte Cassino covers both sides in a photo-report on the last of the brutal battles for the famous Italian monastery. Full details of this interesting new title can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

HippityHop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 04:15 AM UTC
Jim - thanks for sharing. Very nice to see an English language publication on the fall of the Monastry. I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Please forgive my pendantry - the Battles for Cassino were among the bloodiest of the whole war, not just the long hard crawl up the Italian peninsula. Infact the clear comparison is not with other battles of WWII but more akin to the battlefields (and slaughter) of the Western Front twenty years earlier.

Whilst this book focuses on the fall of the Monastry, it is worth noting that the battles for Cassino were truly multi-national affairs - something that is forgoten by popular history..

For us Poles, the participation of the II Korpus in the final stages of the last battle for Cassino ulitimately proved bittersweet - truely a hollow victory.

Cheers

Karol
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please forgive my pendantry - the Battles for Cassino were among the bloodiest of the whole war, not just the long hard crawl up the Italian peninsula. Infact the clear comparison is not with other battles of WWII but more akin to the battlefields (and slaughter) of the Western Front twenty years earlier.

I couldn't agree more. While we're on the subject, it was interesting to see the monument to the fallen of Cassino in Warsaw - sometimes we forget just what a terribly high price Poland paid both on the battlefield and in Poland itself..
 _GOTOTOP