_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
WWII Vehicle name database
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 08:41 AM UTC
I have been ask if I wish to update the name database on the MAFVA site.
It was started some years ago with the intention of it being a two way process. I posted all the names, WD serials I had compiled with the idea that members would contribute to / correct any of the details.This would build a larger database for all to use. Sadly there were few contributions and before I decide whether it is worth starting again I though I would run it by you all to see what sort of responce there would be.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Cheers
Kevin
Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

I will continue to forward tank names and serials as I find them. Trouble is my new sources are few and far between now.

Keep up the good work.

Paul Middleton
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hi Kevin,

You got my contributions. It would be a good idea if you expanded the data base for wheeled vehicles as well lol, lol.

I'll try and plan another trip to the National Archives to see if I can dig up any more stuff, apologies I meant to try and get down again earlier this year but events ..........

Kepp up the good work and I hope more folks contribute.

BTW did you get any clarification on the additional IG tanks/WD numbers we spoke off?

B/BTW do you need to cretae a new profile to join?

Cheers

Al
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC
Paul,

I appreciate your contributions they are always most welcome. There are still the odd addition coming in from some of the guys out there who have heard of my database. There are occasionally gems sent, see the list of Polish names on Missing Lynx sent by Sam Wren and the 2nd Irish Guards that Alan got from the National Archives. But I am still plugging away.
Latest find Sherman V "Cairncul" of 116th RAC, name database now stands at just over 3820 records.

Alan,

I was just generalising when I said tank names. The database includes everything from anti - tank / aircraft guns through to tank transporters. If it is British, Canadian, Polish, Czech, Belgian, Australian......has wheels or tracks and has a name or WD serial on it it would be included in the database.
If you would mind sending an update on the IG listing I would appreciate it. Let me know the next time you go to the Archives, if you get a chance with the various projects you have on at the moment.
As to profiles you question would probably be best directed at Paul ( Jimmie ) to answer.

It is just a shame that there weren't more encouraging replies to the initial post.

Cheers
Kevin

Sunray
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

I have sent in a few contributions to Paul including all the Czech details. I am sorry that you feel your efforts are neglected but I have found it useful to help others outside the society do a more accurate job on their restorations as well as being able to direct members to the lists.

Yours is a job well done but there is a lot of apathy about. Many will be put off sending stuff by thinking that you must have it already.

I am sure that the silent majority of folk must appreciate your efforts.

Kind regards,

Gary Williams
Pres / Sec MAFVA
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hello Gary,

I don't exactly feel that my efforts were neglected, MAFVA were and still are kind enough to offer a spot on their site. Perhaps I expected more responce.
The database is still constantly updated and I still get updates through Paul and others.
As to those put off by thinking I already have the name or number I would prefer to have two references to an LVT called "SHITEHAWK" or a Universal carrier called "SOUTHEND-ON-SEA" than none at all. So all contributions are welcome and the more there are the more accurate the database becomes.
Thanks for your reply.

Cheers
Kevin
 _GOTOTOP