_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
1:35 Italeri MK. I Staghound
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
You wait years for one Staghound to come along and then another arrives hot on it''s heels. Italeri have finally released their 1/35 scale kit of the Staghound mark one armored car.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
Good to see it's finally being released. Looking forward to comparing it with the Bronco one.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC
Doesn't look bad at all... Unfortunately, for Italeri, they should have had this on the shelves a few months ago and with the difference in price, this is going to impact on their sales quite badly. On a bright note, it's nice to see the stowage included and they seem to have learned with their six-rad A/C about NOT including resin (price went thru the roof). With their Crusader on the market, there should be no reason why they can't do a Mark III (as announced by Bronco) although they'll have to do something about those exhausts..

Pity that they hadn't done an AEC though although competition is always healthy...
Halaci
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 02:05 AM UTC
One more difference is sure: Italeri gives the turret basket. As there are no other interior detail except a radio unit it doesn't seem very useful, just in case if you close everything but the turret hatch on the model.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 02:54 AM UTC
Yes it is finally nice to see this A/C in kit form, but for myself I will stick to the Bronco one and the other types they may come out with.
Italeri use to be one of the companies I looked forward to in new releases but got tired of the crap shoot so to speak on the quality of their kits; saharianne vehicle was a nice kit but then I bought the bofors and was greatly dissapointed, why do they do that? one nice kit then the next one is a dog like alot of their earlier stuff? too many master builders of varying levels of talent?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes it is finally nice to see this A/C in kit form, but for myself I will stick to the Bronco one and the other types they may come out with.

Yep. Unfortunately, as the new Accurate Armour AA conversion set is tooled specifically for the Bronco one, that's going to be another (mildly) negative point.

That aside, I'm sure that this will be a very nice kit though and i'm pretty sure that the instructions will be better presented than their competitor's
05Sultan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri use to be one of the companies I looked forward to in new releases but got tired of the crap shoot so to speak on the quality of their kits; saharianne vehicle was a nice kit but then I bought the bofors and was greatly dissapointed, why do they do that? one nice kit then the next one is a dog like alot of their earlier stuff? too many master builders of varying levels of talent?

OK,so what if this comes out with the same care,quality,and thought like the magnificent Sahariana? Who needs Accurate Armor AM when you can have Formations sets?
Bronco being out of the block first doesn't always mean best on the scene. Let's wait til Terry (at Perth) does a side by side on 'em. Personally I have faith in the Roman side.
cheers!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Who needs Accurate Armor AM when you can have Formations sets?

Well, would be a tad more sensible looking at AA's website since Formations DON'T do anything for the Staghound...

Quoted Text

Bronco being out of the block first doesn't always mean best on the scene. Let's wait til Terry (at Perth) does a side by side on 'em.

Maybe we could do one HERE?
05Sultan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
"Well, would be a tad more sensible looking at AA's website since Formations DON'T do anything for the Staghound... "

C'mon Jim! Who says Rob at Formations CAN'T do a set for the Roman Stag? Who says the set from AA CANNOT fit the Italeri kit?
I happen to have great respect for Terry's side-by-side kit comparisons. You have praised his reviews in the past as well. If there is a member here that has both kits to do a SBS review then great! I look forward to it as well as Terrys. In the interim,don't you think it's best to be positive about a company's new release? I sure do
I give Italeri high marks for NOT holding to the original release date in order to make corrections to the kit that were pointed out to them at a certain european Toy Fair by respected members of the modeling community. Not many manufacturers have done this in the modern age of modeling.
Frankly,if you haven't guessed by now,that I'm a little peeved at Italeri bashing in order to lime-light a newby kit maker of average quality.
#11's at 15 paces if you desire
Rick

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

C'mon Jim! Who says Rob at Formations CAN'T do a set for the Roman Stag? Who says the set from AA CANNOT fit the Italeri kit?

Technically, I can think of few firms technically more capable than Formations, I didn't say they couldn't, just that it would be a bit strange considering the work they're doing with the M4 - diluting their resources... The reason I specifically talked about Accurte Armour, was due to the fact they've actually worked alongside Bronco and the AA Conversion set was specifically engineered for the latter's model

Yes, kudos to Italeri for actually releasing it although if it had come out in august (for example) it would have grabbed a bigger slice of the market...

As to side-by-side Reviews, it's something I want to see in the future on THIS site (and something I always read with interest on PMMS) so, no criticism, just an appeal for anyone out there who wants to do one, we'd consider it for publication with a LOT of interest...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I have the Bronco kit and I have on order the Italeri kit. I like Italeri and they have produced some good stuff. It may not be perfect but they are still the only plastic injection manufacturer to produce any British Trucks, even if they are 30 years old, and I liked their Landing Craft boats a lot.

Both the Bronco Humber and Staghound look good, I'll get to them some time, but I'm looking forward to doing both kits to see the difference.

Derek at Accurate Armour did work closely with Bronco on the AA conversion so it should fit like a glove and for a conversion that might be the best option. However, it still leaves a Stahound or two to build lol, lol so hopefully there is plenty of demand for both.

It's great to have some armoured cars so kudos to them both. Now guys about those British trucks..........

Cheers

Al
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
I've got both of them and they are qiote good. Bronco's has got more crisp detail, but some of it won't be visible once the model has been built. The Italeri's turret shape is correct, Bronco's is not as good. The Italeri instructions are easier to follow and the kit is also easier to put together. Italeri's PE is a bit too musch on the "thick" side. So, as usual, there are pros and cons...
Ciao
Fabio

P.S.: If you wish to see the Italeri's sprues you can find them here
05Sultan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thankyou Fabio! Great link to reviews.Even though my Italian language skill is next to none, the review is still very worthwhile to view. Your comments on the kit comparisons are greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP