_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Academy 1/35 M3 Grant
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 01:31 PM UTC

Academy have released images of their forthcoming 1/35 scale M3 "Grant"

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 02:12 PM UTC
Looks interesting Pat, certainly a natural followup by Academy to their M3 Lee and M7 Priest kits.
A little worried about the turret shape being too angular at the rear and right side and I'm not sure if the long 75mm gun ever had a counterweight.
It looks good compared to the old Tamiya kits.
Hopefully a few build reviews will allay any concerns.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi Pat,

This looks great. I'll leave the dimensional stuff to the experts but this looks a gem with interior turret and hull detail and optional long/short barrels. I've been hoping they would follow on with this one - excellent news.

Cheers

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A little worried about the turret shape being too angular at the rear and right side and I'm not sure if the long 75mm gun ever had a counterweight

I concur. The turret looks haywire...

It's a logical release, but, to echo Pat's comments - I really hope they've listened after the Lee debacle...
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
Good news. The inclusion of an interior is very nice on a kit with this big and many hatches. I also agree the turret looks a little strange with those square angles.

Thanks for the update
Halaci
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
Based strictly on the photos and drawings published by Academy, they did not changed the bogies. Comparing the photos of the IWM Grant the rear of the turret also seems quite rectangular. Hope that these are only the pre-production image from last year, before the kit was postponed (though I am concerned, Academy has the bad habit to use old sprues without any changes).
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
What a disappointment! The counterweight was never used on the M3 gun and the turret looks wrong. Oh well - I bought one of the Priests and I guess I'll buy one of these too!

ON a side note I cant wait to see the "Museum quality" interior on the M113A3 - I'll bet its unchanged and has the incorrect drivers details and no spall liners inside......

Here's looking at you 2008!
Chris
tommaso66
Visit this Community
Trieste, Italy
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

........ the turret shape being too angular at the rear and right side and I'm not sure if the long 75mm gun ever had a counterweight.....

jjumbo

I cuncur !

I was waiting for this Academy kit...to plan a desert diorama
... but now I'm very disappointed !

I hope they will correct something!

Tom
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure if the long 75mm gun ever had a counterweight

A mistake by the builder, the sprues show both 75mm variants included. The sprues also show the same wrongs bogies as the Lee but now that Academy have a corrected set from their M7 Priest kit they would be foolish not to include it.
Let's see eh?
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not sure if the long 75mm gun ever had a counterweight

A mistake by the builder, the sprues show both 75mm variants included. The sprues also show the same wrongs bogies as the Lee but now that Academy have a corrected set from their M7 Priest kit they would be foolish not to include it.
Let's see eh?

We can only hope that Academy have learned from past mistakes and all the fuss it causes amongst their clientele.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We can only hope that Academy have learned from past mistakes and all the fuss it causes amongst their clientele

Why should they start now?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC
For those of us holding out hope that maybe this is a "pre-production" model or only a test shot, Pawel Krupowicz over on Missing Lynx noted that he's noted a pattern that Academy is "what you see is what you get".

I know that DML has shown pre-production builds and CAD drawings and then gone back and made corrections before production. I pointed out a flaw I saw in the DML StuG III G engine deck based on a pre-production build by Tom Cockle. I contacted Tom and he informed the DML engineers. My correction was included in the final tank (I will now accept your applause and praises) LOL
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 04:33 AM UTC
Wow!!! Ya'll have already shot this one to pieces and it isn't even out yet! Tough crowd around here.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!!! Ya'll have already shot this one to pieces and it isn't even out yet! Tough crowd around here.

Tough crowds on all major sites have shot this to pieces.
And why not???? These new kits cost more and more .... but even worse ... genuine mistakes may be forgiven, but rehashing the same problems again is unforgivable ... especially when they´ve already been pointed out.
Nows the time to speak up ... once it hits the shelf, its too late to moan!
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And why not???? These new kits cost more and more .... but even worse ... genuine mistakes may be forgiven, but rehashing the same problems again is unforgivable ... especially when they´ve already been pointed out.

After checkin' out other sites I would have to say you are correct. Forgive my hasty comment. After looking at the pics a little closer though. I wonder if the way the turret was painted makes it look more angular than it really is. But, after the wierd shape of the Lee turret it very well could be goofed up.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank's absolutely correct. Yes, we are going to be damned tough - they're not doing us or themselves any favors by not correcting well-documented errors from a previous release. Academy really have to wake up and sniff the java - everyone else is correcting, are they exempt?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
Well according to a thread on ML that includes a link to Cookie Sewell's review it turns out that unbelievably Academy haven't include the updated M3 suspension from the Priest kit and not only have they not corrected any of the mistakes of the Lee but the new Grant Turret is dimensionally out as well.
A real pity and it seems just due to laziness on Academy's part.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
Well if they don’t want to listen to constructive criticism or are just not interested (they must be aware of the comments I’d have thought) then it leaves only one course of action which is vote with your wallet. It’s a shame because I would have really liked to have built this with the interior.
Removed by original poster on 01/21/08 - 11:00:58 (GMT).
malcolm
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC

aaarrr well,
there goes my new years resolution, not to buy any more kits until i have made the ones i`ve already got

yea, right

malc.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 05:57 PM UTC
What a crying shame if they release this without at least attempting to correct the previously noted errors.

This was a much awaited and a long over due replacement for the Old Tamiya Grant but the shine will be taken off it if, as it looks, it's coming out faults and all.

More added expense to put it right, something I could live without. Very disappointed given the comments by Cookie and Steve.

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC
Has anyone commented on the accuracy of the interior?
I'm none too savvy with these beasts.
This would be what it boils down to for me. Weighing the obvious flaws/shortcomings against an included interior...
Brad
 _GOTOTOP