_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Abrams spare wheel question
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 07:32 AM UTC
I have one question about the M1A1 Abrams. Since i'm buidling Dragon's AIM o was wondering how is the spare wheel attached to the upper surface of the turret? Is it secured with some straps or just it's own weight?

I mean something like this:
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
It is bolted to the manhole.

Erik
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Can you explain a bit further please? If i'm understanding correctly this in this pic it's not bolted to it
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
There are four bolts (forming a rectangle) just in front of the manhole. I think that one of them is used to fasten the spare wheel, using one of the rim holes.

HTH
Frenchy
Eliphas40K
Visit this Community
China / 简体
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:06 AM UTC

Hey guys I'm searching for the answer too, sorry for any disturbs.
I found this part on the M1 tank, and I think it's used for hold the spare wheel?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:26 AM UTC
Gents,

I copied an image from elsewhere in Armorama (apologies and thanks to the owner of the image). You'll note where the spare wheel resides on the turret top in the photo. In front of the manhole cover, you will see on your kit (assuming we are talking about a Dragon M1A1 AIM kit) that there are 4 'bolt heads' in front of that cover. If the tank is an M1A2, then in place of the manhole cover, there is a thermal image unit (a round cylindrically shaped device which sits where the manhole cover has been removed), but those 4 bolts should still be present (I believe). In the real world, as I understand it, one of those 4 bolts are changed out to a longer bolt, the wheel is placed on the top of the turret such that one of the wheel holes (where the wheel is bolted onto the swing arm when it is place on the tank running gear) is aligned with the hole where that longer bolt is used, and the longer bolt then goes through the bolt hole on the wheel and is threaded back into the hole in the turret top and tightened to hold the tire/wheel in place.

I hope that makes sense, and that I am technically correct. I'm sure one of the real tank guys will pipe up with the proper terminology and/or correct configuration if I got this wrong. At least this is how I secured the spare wheel on my M1A1 for the Thunder Run exhibit.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:41 AM UTC
Curt,
You are absolutely correct!

The picture that Yue show is a bracket found on the SEP V2 tracks. This bracket is used so that the four bolts that Curt is talking about is not used and the four bolts that are in front of those four bolts are used.

Wheels are also secured to the the "man hole" cover, but take away sight for the loader when he is on the 7.62 mm loaders MG.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Curt,
You are absolutely correct!

The picture that Yue show is a bracket found on the SEP V2 tracks. This bracket is used so that the four bolts that Curt is talking about is not used and the four bolts that are in front of those four bolts are used.

Wheels are also secured to the the "man hole" cover, but take away sight for the loader when he is on the 7.62 mm loaders MG.

Pete, thanks for confirming that I am not a complete idiot and that I've learned a few things about tanks since I've begun to model armor again!
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:55 PM UTC
Initially the spare wheel was secured by one of the 4 bolts in front of the "manhole" .... these are intended to receive the "hooks"(stored with the tank) needed to lift the turret and the identical arrangement can be found across the turret roof close to the gunners sight housing known commonly referred to as "Dog House or Garage".
The US ARMY introduced these newly seen "bracket" with the M1A2 SEP ... I first noticed them with the new arrivals in S. Korea a couple of years ago.
These were M1A2 SEPs already "prepped" with installments for the V2 upgrade which pursued about 1-1/2 years later.

I actually have one of those in the making ... for quite some time:

The Australien M1s also sport this "bracket" now ... the M1s delivered to Marocco recently might have it as well ?
Haven't seen it it on USMC M1s yet.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Christopher
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:24 PM UTC
What's with the 3 color nato-flauge camo and sand colored interiors of the hatches? Is this now standard?

I'm assuing these were originally sand overall and the paint crews just didn't feel the need to paint the hatch interiors? Is this very common?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:44 AM UTC
Yes John, they are refurbished Tan M1 tracks. You can see that on the Bradley's also.
 _GOTOTOP