_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Adalbertus - New Figures in 1/35th
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 03:08 PM UTC
Another of the companies I spent time talking with in Nuremberg, were the Polish manufacturer, Adalbertus. Here, in this report, we take a look at some of the new releases they have coming out in the next month or so along with an overview of two of their existing ranges. The full report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

HippityHop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Nice to see this range of figs expanding. Really love their AK figs. Hopefully they'll get around to covering the 1 DPanc and II Korpus as well (?).

As a bit of context; the 1 Armiii WP ZSSR was an interesting and very contradictory formation. With the exception of a few ideologically "sound" senior officers, the Army was in the main compossed of Officers and men who had just spent two-three years in the Soviet gulag (concentration camp) system. It can be assumed that many would may have preferred to escape, with their more numerous fellow countrymen, to fight in the west (the II Korpus) but ended up fighting for their recent jailers. I hope that the tragic irony of this isn't lost on readers.

The Soviets never trusted the Poles and as a consequence Soviet Officers served throughout the staff structure and made sure that the Army remained committed to Moscow, rather than the recognised Polish Government. Fighting for the Soviets didn't ensure any favours once the war ended and the brave men of the 1 Armii WP (Lenino and Berlin) were just as likely to suffer the same politcial cleansing meated out to Poles (soldiers and civilians) returning from the west.

To add to this tragic irony, during the ensuing 50 years of Soviet control, the 1 Armii WP (along with Soviet Army) were lionized by the state - at the complete exclusion of all other Polish formations, whether fighting in the west or at home. Of course the individual reality was quite different.

Cheers

Karol
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully they'll get around to covering the 1 DPanc and II Korpus as well (?)

Well, there's some news coming soon which should answer that - at the moment i've been sworn to secrecy...

I'm going to be doing a series of reviews on the 1st Army figures over the coming days.

Meanwhile, thanks for the background you've given us, as you say, it's a fascinating but tragic story...
 _GOTOTOP