_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Difference between V100 & V150?
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 07:00 AM UTC
Do any of you guys know if there are major differences between the V100 and V150 commando armoured cars?
I have the Hobby Fan V150 in 1/35 scale but really want to make it a Vietnam based V100. Would the outside look different or is it just the internals that are different?
Thanks for any help you can supply.
David
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
Gas vs Diesel powered, for starters - presumably engine deck differences at least.

Al

awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
Just browsing Hannants future releases - Hobby Boss has a 1/35th kit of the M706 (aka Vietnam-era V-100) on the way as well as a kit of the V-150S, which is apparently a V-150 fitted with the Cockerill 90mm in a turret.

No idea of release date, but if it's up to the quality of the HSTs they did recently, might be an easier way to do a V-100.

Al

Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 04:54 PM UTC
Dave,

If you can find it, Verlinden did a Vietnam version in resin. However, the Hobby Boss offering might be the better way to go.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would the outside look different or is it just the internals that are different?

Quite a lot of differences in fact, just not obvious ones. The most noticeable is different configuration of driver's vision blocks - only one in V100 (plus a pistol port) and two in V150 (no pistol port). The number of vision blocks in hull sides was also different, but I don't remember details.
The axles are different - V100 uses 2.5t truck axles, while V150 uses 5t truck axles. Wheel rims are different. There are also differences in exhaust configurations. The small hatch on top of the hull (to the right from engine intake grille) is different shape - one variant has round hatch, the other has rectangular one (I don't remember which is which now).

Pawel
dobon68
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the all the info guys.
I think I'll wait until Hobby Boss get around to releasing their kit of the V100 and make my Hobby Fan V150 up as a more modern one someday.
Cheers
David
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 08:37 PM UTC
To continue this line of thought, what are the differences between the V-150 and the M1117 ASV? I think the ASV is longer, but what else is different?

Maybe Hobby Boss will come out w/an M1117 ASV to complete the series.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To continue this line of thought, what are the differences between the V-150 and the M1117 ASV? I think the ASV is longer, but what else is different?

I believe that practically everything is different. I remember reading an article shortly after M1117 was introduced to service that clearly stated that other than general appearance, there is very little in common between V100/V150 and M1117. The new vehicle is longer, has different engine, different suspension, different wheels, different interior layout and equipment etc. So probably for HB releasing M1117 would mean 100% new tooling.

Pawel
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Thats what I was thinking. Too bad. Maybe we'll get lucky and they will make an M1117. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I see Cromwell has announced one in resin, I think New World Minatures (a.k.a. Chris Mrosko) has announced one, along w/an M1130 Fire Support Vehicle in resin too.

EDIT:

According to specs at Global Security.org, the V150S and M1117 are actually pretty close.

V150S
Length: 20 ft 2 in
Width: 7 ft 5 in
Height: 6 ft 6 in

M1117 ASV
Length: 20 ft 5 in
Width: 8 ft 4 in
Height: 8 ft 5 in

The biggest difference is the height, that is probably from the larger tires. The width would only be a 3-4 mm difference in 1/35. The vision blocks on the M1117 are bigger, and it doesn't have the external, rear radiator(?) shroud. The basic hull shape is the same. You could use a turret from a LVTP7A1 w/UGWS too. With some scratch parts and modified kit parts, you could make a pretty close copy. It wouldn't be perfect, but pretty close. Bronco has a V150S w/Cockerell turret scheduled to come out next too.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC
Gino,
Mrosko is releasing a M1200 Armored Knight, not a M1130. I have seen pics and it is a sweet chunk o' resin that was mastered by Charlie Pritchard. The M1200 was supposed to be released at the IPMS Nats last month but nothing yet.
John
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino,
Mrosko is releasing a M1200 Armored Knight, not a M1130. I have seen pics and it is a sweet chunk o' resin that was mastered by Charlie Pritchard. The M1200 was supposed to be released at the IPMS Nats last month but nothing yet.
John

Thats right, the M1130 is a Stryker varient. Thanks for setting me straight.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
Cromwell has an M1117 Guardian ASV on their "coming soon" list, while the Hobbyboss variants list has grown somewhat to include (takes deep breath):

M-706 Commando Armored Car (aka V-100)
M-706 APC Product Improved
V-150 Commando w/20mm Cannon
LAV-150 APC w 90mm Mecar Gun (their LAV, not mine)
V-150S Commando APC w 90mm Cockerill Gun

Al
CB1000h
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
What does product improved mean
And does anyone know if the open top version of the V100 is going to be released
Thanks
Wayne
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What does product improved mean
And does anyone know if the open top version of the V100 is going to be released
Thanks
Wayne

Judging from the pics of the box art I've seen, "Product Improved" means a dozen smoke grenade launchers stuck to the turret and a 30 caliber mounted beside the rear hatch. The basic V100 Commando kit is very definitely of a Vietnam vehicle with a nice, clean turret with viewports all of the way around. Pics of all of the boxes can be found in the Hobbyboss section of "New Kits" at PMMS.

Given the variety of turrets they're putting on that chassis, and the corresponding variety of turret rings (and hull tops) even if Hobbyboss don't do one (they're doing five so far, I wouldn't expect more to appear) it seems fairly likely that if there's any demand, there'll be a conversion for an open-top version from an after-market company.

Al
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What does product improved mean?

Most of the improvments were internal as part of engine and drive train upgrades. It just denotes an upgraded version. The same idea as SEP (Systems Enhancementment Program), SLEP (Service Life Extension Program), and RISE (Reliabilaity Improvement and Sustainment Enhancement) upgrades are on most military vehicles. Its just the name given to the upgraded pieces of equipment to know that they have been upgraded.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What does product improved mean?

Most of the improvements were internal as part of engine and drive train upgrades. It just denotes an upgraded version. The same idea as SEP (Systems Enhancement Program), SLEP (Service Life Extension Program), and RISE (Reliability Improvement and Sustainment Enhancement) upgrades are on most military vehicles. Its just the name given to the upgraded pieces of equipment to know that they have been upgraded.

Not to forget TUSK, although since that's not a global upgrade, maybe that doesn't count.

These might all go the way of the dodo with the current trends in defense procurement, where you deliver the product half-baked and then take two or three "tranches" to gradually upgrade to the full capabilities that you promised when you won the contract.

Very clever way of doing things - nice proposal claiming an all-singing, all-dancing super-capable defense system at an amazing price, except what you get for the amazing price is, well, uh, not very good, and it isn't until Tranche 3 or whatever that it meets the given specs - although the Tranche 3 vehicles, and upgrading the Tranche 1 and 2 vehicles to that standard, cost three times as much as the initial spec.

Very big in the aeronautical side of things, yet to see it hit tanks, but it will in time, I'm sure. Now that the services are expecting service lives for systems that may, in time, exceed a century, putting expansion and improvement plans in the initial proposal is coming into fashion (sounds dull, isn't really from a data management and archiving perspective - wrote an SBIR proposal a year or so back on the subject. Didn't win it :-()

Also useful if your spouse or significant other likes finding fault - tell them you're jjust the Tranche 1 version and that, oh, doing additional housework is a feature that will be added in Tranche 2.

I used to tell me wife that keeping my model-buynig under control was a Tranche 5 (*) feature, but alas my employment situation means it's been brought forward in the schedule.

Oh, for those wondering, "Tranche" is French, something to do with sandwiches :-) I guess "Phase" would be a more understandable equivalent, but primes seem to prefer Tranches because the people doing the procurement haven't realized that they're the same thing yet :-)

Al

(*) Tranche 4 concerns funeral arrangements, er, system decommissioning.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
The basic M706 Commando (i.e. Vietnam version) is now in stores in HK - Luckymodel has it for $21.59 plus $8 or so shipping. Hopefully the prices won't inflate too scarily by the time they reach the US.

Me, I'd just order direct (if I had any money) since I doubt the US price will be below $30 including shipping no matter where you buy it.

Apologies (and seething jealousy) to those in parts of the world whose currency means they can still buy kits at reasonable prices.

Al
dobon68
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The basic M706 Commando (i.e. Vietnam version) is now in stores in HK - Luckymodel has it for $21.59 plus $8 or so shipping. Hopefully the prices won't inflate too scarily by the time they reach the US.

Me, I'd just order direct (if I had any money) since I doubt the US price will be below $30 including shipping no matter where you buy it.

Apologies (and seething jealousy) to those in parts of the world whose currency means they can still buy kits at reasonable prices.

Al

I've already ordered one from LuckyModel.com they say it's available but not in stock so hopefully won't take too long to arrive? Not that I've got the time to build it at the moment anyway
David
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've already ordered one from LuckyModel.com they say it's available but not in stock so hopefully won't take too long to arrive? Not that I've got the time to build it at the moment anyway

Brand ew release listed but "Avaliable" rather than "In Stock" means they're expecting it Any Time Now. I'd be surprised if it's later than the end of the week, wouldn't be surprised if it ships on Monday or Tuesday HK time.

I personally wish Luckymodel had distinct "Available and expected in stock" and "Available and we might get a shipment in from the manufacturer sometime before you die of old age" order statuses. The only time you can be reasonably sure an "Available" will ship soon is when, like this, it's a new release. The run on M6 barrels (sold with mantlets for M3A3s, but just happen to be the right barrel for a Staghound) meant I had an order with them for an "available" Armorscale barrel from them for about four months before I gave up on it.

Al
 _GOTOTOP