_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Scratch or PE sets, the question...
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hello everybody!
I'm from a country where this hobby isn't popular like in America, maybe it's cause our tropical climate. And also due to high tax and fees to imported itens (60% of total buying!!!!) the PE sets comes to very expensive prices, so I never used them, I do prefer to scratch all details in my models, the point is: Do you think it's fair to judge a model with a lot of PE sets on it to another one that was made with most details from scratch? Because the scratchbuilding involves a lot of more work and I can say it is not so perfect like using a PE set designed for a specific vehicle.
So I'd like to know your oppinion.
Cheers!
BETO/br
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 08:55 PM UTC
My opinion...as long as your having fun, who can judge that!? There are the hard-nosed type, who seem to have more fun finding fault. So long as the model represents what it is supposed, and you had fun along the way...yeeehaaaa!
At least my thoughts. :-)
Merriam-Websters: hobby: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
That was a very good question.

It just depends what level you want to be judged at. I myself don't think judging and models go together, but I am competitive enough to want to have an edge over the competion. I have seen in IPMS rules that modified and stock models should be in different classes, so they all can be judged together in their own class against each other. AMPS rules wouldn't really care since the model is supposedly judged by itself against itself, how ever that works.

I agree with Kencelot 100%, if you think you have improved in your modelling skills then you have already won "Best in Show", because there will _always_ be someone that will come along and take out the paint chips and the ruler and find at least 1 million problems with the model you have slaved over.

I'm too profectionistic to do things alone, I'm better in teams.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 10:02 PM UTC
Build for yourself, not for contests. You already got some great advice from the other folks here. I can't see spending extra money that you may not have in order to "Keep up with the Joneses" who are using PE.

I use PE to some extent as well as aluminum barrels, but that's just because I'm too lazy or not good enough to get my barrels looking round.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 - 12:29 PM UTC
very nice Sabot, gratious and humble as always.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 - 03:42 PM UTC
Treadhead your right, I am full of it! The fact of the matter is I have to use PE to make anything look good!

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 - 11:16 PM UTC
Thanks for all answers guys!
~But just like every human been I do like to have the satisfaction to have my models recognized as good or excellent! I speak for myself, and sometimes you've just put a lot of work on a model and you really think - That's my best model ever! And you attend to go to a club exihibition and your so excellent model took a third place or not even that, and I go home and try to do my even best next model, I have won a 2nd place on an IPMS show at Sao Paulo/Brazil, with a Merkava MKI from Tamiya, but I feel it's very difficult to compete with models full of PE sets, Just can't let it worry and keep modelling, like Kencelot said I do my models for my pleasure (but is very good to the ego someone come and congratulate you for a good model, isn't it?)
Cheers
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
Paulo,
That's one of the beauties of the world wide web. You can post pictures of your masterpiece on sites like this where other modelers will see and appreciate it. More people will have the opportunity to enjoy all the hard work you put into the kit. Best of all, no competition and you'll most likely get praise as well as constructive criticism to assist in your next kit.
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 10:32 PM UTC
paulo!
if I would live in brazil I would not built models and would take care about the other models..!!
hahahaha..but now be serious. think there are 2 points
--etched parts versus scratch. I have the opinion that scratch has to be judged higher than buying aftermarket parts, as long as the scratch is correct and nicely done. remember that even aftermarket parts are not always correct, but a lot of people do believe they are.
but how many people are aware of that. I think it has become a bad habit to add PE and aftermarket conversions and not to forget individual tracks on a kit just to show the other people how much money one can throw in a modelling project.
this is not the right way and it is up to the modellers community to change this attitude.

the other problem is judging a kit. stay cool! this is my only advise. I attended many shows and sometimes I get a price and sometimes not. I have no clue why it works here and does not work there and what the judges are thinking.
there are shows with certain star modellers which have already a bonus and it is clear that such a buddy must be a winner. I also noticed that many people are sorta advertising their stuff, especially to judges, and explain them how difficult the constructions was and what they added to the model. they have also an advantage to those who simply place their models to the voting without saying a word. so I am meanwhile convinced that in certain shows getting a price is sorta politics and must mean necessarily that the best has won.
I would appreciate to have a "straight from the box" and "partially scratch built categorie" in a show to have a bit more justice.

but I believe Jim is happy if you add your pics on the page and we can enjoy it here.

regards, werner
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hey Werner! I can unsure you that living in Brazil you can see a lot of "models" around.... :-)
I do agree with your remarks, the politics counts...
It's interesting how the question arise in people the healthy discussions, it's good to hear good words from the pros likje you.
I'm striving to get my scrachtes as accurate and beautifull done as my skills permits me, and best of all I still building my models, as someone said, for my own delight...
Thanks all for the kind words, and let's modelling..
BETO/br
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
Everyone's correct, build for your own enjoyment, have fun! Wow...it took me to the 3rd posting before I figured out what PE was! (a little brain lock this morning)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC
Rufus,
I know what you mean. I was going PE? PE? Hmmm... I finally got it. I actually was using photo-etched dio parts back in the late eighties. I am sure the new stuff is amazing.

Anyways this makes me think of a good idea. A glossary of terms for beginners and us old out-of-the-loop veterans.

Jim
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi!
Good point Jim, a glossary is a must in these days, and I could add something I use here in Brazil if is interesting...
BETO/br
 _GOTOTOP