_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AAVP7A1 WIP
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Greetings everyone, it's been a long while since I've been active on the forum and I'm really glad to be back again.
I'd like to share my first blog for WIP of an OIF AAVP7A1 using IMHO the not so very friendly Mini hobby model AAVP7A1 w/EAAK. Didn't have the Tamiya or Academy kit in hand, I did read all the articles and comparisons by our fellow members ..but since the collector who commissioned the build wasn't too concerned about the silhouette of this kit, I went for the build and tried to make the best of a not so great kit.

Surfacer was brushed on for the lower hull and underside for aid in Mig's pigment "dust and dried mud" build up during weathering process. The anti-slip and some texture was done in similar fashion.

Lots of scratch building, lots of rivets, and lots of Tamiya extra thin cement..
The photo etch mesh/netting for the engine's intake/exhaust is Aber's Mesh 4x6 (00102) not as fine as the real thing but I couldn't find a finer alternative.

Bolts were cannibalised from Academy's M60 and M113 kits' unused parts such as the drive wheels. MH's EAAK had large holes-depicting the bolt location- these were filled up with styrene rods.
Rear lights were taken from Academy's M113 kits.

Welding was done with Evergreen's Plain sheet 005" thick (0.13mm) cut into thin strips-melted down with Tamiya extra thin cement and depressed with a pointed tool to simulate welding. Once totally cured, I used a Exacto blade and round file to remove the excess.

Replacement EAAK parts, head light guards, and all other structures were done with various Evergreen sheet styrene and rods.

Once I'm done with a little more scratch building and the individual Academy Tracks, the Amphibian will be ready for primer coat and test fitting of the gear placement-using Hobbyfan's and Legend's Modern US sets, along with MREs and Mineral water boxes, and some weapons..

All comments are totally welcome.

tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
Trying to find one of them but can't there hard too find.Looking good.You putting it in a dio.

Happy Modeling
Tom
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:48 AM UTC
Good to have you back Nick.

You need to put this aside and get back to the Abrams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
Impressive work.

Erik
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
Nice to see you back Nick ! With a AAV ! Keep on the good job.... whatever Pete's view on the subject

Frenchy
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys..

Tom, try ebay. Don't touch the MH kit!
No Dio-it's for a customer, who wants a Stryker next..
PS:If you want I can try to find the Tamiya version here, not sure how much. although I think you had offers from our members?

Pete, totally right I need more time on my Abrams.. .... But it's for a customer, all my builds are--they pay my bills

Erik, Thanks!

Henri, How you doing my French friend? BTW, more build logs coming up-mostly IDF and a Tamiya Enterprise-lighted hanger bay....

Now I need some sleep 421am already
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Added more details such as the two cylindrical structures (air-pressured system?) for opening and closing the large hatches, the four handles on the two hatches and the two handles behind the front lights and some other small details...Also in the photo a closer shot of what seems to be a fire-fighting T-handle on the left side of the hull.
So I think work is done for the hull, just to superglue the metal parts...Work on the UGWS, tracks and antennas..

I intend to add Hobbyfan's MOLLE gear , anyone have an idea how to depict them hanging off the sides of the ralings/baskets realistically? Should I remove the shoulder straps from the bags and wrap them around the Beast's side rails? Or secure the gear to the rails with separate straps????
If I add Legend's Alice packs along with the MOLLE gear which OIF year will I be depicting?? Would this be accurate?

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
Lovely work Nick! You've done a superb job turning a pretty bad kit into something rather attractive looking.

As to the bags, when did one i cut off and sanded away the straps on the HF packs and made new ones to attach the pack to the rails on the sides.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 04:07 PM UTC
Thanks Rob, I hope the paint job and gear layout turns out well...I'd try to do as you did with the straps...Any close up photos of the real packs strapped on on the AAVP...? Or of your build?

While waiting for Easter Sunday Turkey lunch...Mmmmmm.....I started to prep the indi tracks.....on a hungry stomach,, hate this monotonous task of all builds....
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 06:12 PM UTC
That's a fantastic amount of detail. An amazing amount of work and research.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Paul
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Whoa... Fantastic stuff... Where'd you get your styrene from?
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thanks guys, Paul, all the reference photos I got are from google and the special ops OIF books... I can't wait to finish it too! Russell got the plastic from Artfriend..you can never have too little scratch building material.

I used Evergreen sheets from paper thin 005" thick /0.13mm for welds... and the rest various sheets from 010"/ 0.25mm, 015", 030", 040". And in some cases such as the rear frame above the hull edge/ramp door- I use a combination to build up the thickness.

trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Very nice! I have the Tamiya kit in the stash that I intend to scratch the EAAK for someday...
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

got the plastic from Artfriend..you can never have too little scratch building material.

Where are they located at in our sunny island?
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
Thomas, the EAAK isn't too hard to scratch, just caution and patience with bending to 90degrees. However,If you intend to add most or all the bolts/rivets which are very obvious (and also missing in mine -those 5 bolts per shield) then you go blind..adding 200 or so rivets..

Russell, Artfriend is on the 3rd floor, Bras Brasa Complex...Evergreen styrene sheets and rods ,etc among other goodies -you'll find there at about SG$5 a pack or so.

"Sunny"...You mean hot like hell!! LOL
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 03:12 AM UTC
Im sorry Nick, but i dont have any pictures of mine, it too was a commission for someone and its now in their possession-I used the Tamiya kit with the old Kirin EAAK, not accurate but the guy just wanted something that looked like an AAV7, of course i spruced it up a little

Keep up the good work-and man those tracks look tedious!
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell, Artfriend is on the 3rd floor, Bras Brasa Complex...Evergreen styrene sheets and rods ,etc among other goodies -you'll find there at about SG$5 a pack or so.

Wha... Thanks!
AAVmarine1833
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC
AngryDog

Those are hacth spring covers. It come with the EAAK kit. Its to make it easy for the crewmen to open the cargo hatches. without them it would take some muscle to do it due to the EAAK was bolted to the top. There very taught when bolted on. I seen a PFC launch a 3/4 breaker bar 20 feet cause the hatch wasnt open. You should have seen his face. Pure terror but funny to everyone else. glad to say no one was hurt.
AAVmarine1833
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:21 PM UTC
AngryDog

Mollies would put you in the in 2003 2004. We got rid of them cause the frame would always break. The pack straps were used but a secondry strap was used too to prevent them from falling off. Some of the slaty grunts used caribiners like for rock climbing.When I went back in 2005 we had the new ILLB"s. As far as storing the packs, they were hung on the gypsy racks the handles on the very front of the aav. I know my plt sgt made us use the handles on the starboard side by the turret cause those handle never get used. They put about gypsy rack hieght. Some companies were using the boat ropes strung along the side of the vehicle. Also the unit i was attached to we covered our packs with black trash bags in case of a chemical attack. it was already to crowded on the in side. hope that helps.
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 03:26 PM UTC
I used to love riding in these in the 1980's as an 0311. They have changed so much when I see them on TV nowadays. It really was awesome climbing in them in the hull of a ship, rocking about for a time, feeling the beach beneath us and the hatch opening up and we were deep in the Carolina woods. Those were better times back then.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:25 PM UTC
Nick,
Outstanding build. I love the combination of kit, resin amd scratched parts. I understand that the build is paying the bills but get your @ss back to the M1stuff. I could use a TCs & Loader's thermal sights to go with the sheilds and CSAMM. Chop Chop.

John
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 06:42 AM UTC
It's 2AM, finally free to sit on my laptop for a small update of what I did this morning...rest of the day was filled rearranging my room to add another workbench..

OK I cheated..used the multi-tie down points...whachemacallit? from a Stryker kit..Cut out each one (69 in total if memory serves) to fit the layout of the UGWS (seems to be specific number of points per location-will let you guys know later) Still need to file and shape them later.
Would have added wire to simulate this, but well I'll do it for another build..as this one has already past the date of completion..Anyway my commission-er isn't adamant about such.
Used 2 of Tamiya's "covered" Smoke Launchers and the rest from Academy's OIF Abrams.. Scratched the frames,added bolts and will add the electrical cable later (I like to do super-gluing all at a one go)
I used styrene rods for the 50cal.
Still need to add a weld or two for the UGWS.
So, just to finish up the tracks, hatches' and other small details..then I can start worrying about placing the MOLLEss and such nicely..

My closeup photography sucksss

THANKS for all your kind words and replies..really helps motivate completing this build..
To answer your comments...:
Rob No problem, I 've gotten some good closeups of the real thing..I should manage to secure those bags ok.
I would have liked to see your build of this kit though.

Joseph OK got it--hatch spring covers-What's a 3/4 breaker bar? Don't quite understand how it gets launched when the hatch isn't open?

Roger on the MOLLIES 2003/4.. That's that include MOLLE 2 version? Like RealModel's?
So Caribiners secured direct to bag and to the rail/handles correct?

Your input really helps, Thanks, I'll try to do a combination of attachement.

S.B I miss my days of service too, I was a "cox'n" of a equipment and personnel fast craft, best time I ever had in the Navy, just the sun,sea,rain and salt in my eyes..but still loved it.
Anyway, what's 0311?

John Good to hear from you again, Roger that on the sights! Sir Yes Sir!

AAVmarine1833
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
Angry,

A braker bar is like a ratchet but without the ratchet part if that makes sense. The hatch spring is about 3ft long and its a series of bars. When its closed they twist. So when mounting and removing espically removing the hatch has to be at a 90 degree angle to take the tenision off the spring. if you dont you tool your using will more then likely to fly away or hit you in the face. Anyways, look good cant wait to see it completed. If you got anymore question feel free. keep up the good work. difintley a inspiration to me and go start working on mine again. The clock is Ticking very load in my ear.
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

S.B I miss my days of service too, I was a "cox'n" of a equipment and personnel fast craft, best time I ever had in the Navy, just the sun,sea,rain and salt in my eyes..but still loved it.
Anyway, what's 0311?

An 0311 is the MOS designation for a basic infantryman. That is what I was so I spent plenty of time in AV's. I also had Sea Duty on the USS JFK and USS Eisenhower.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC
Thanks Joseph and S.B for your replies..

OK here's a little update..just finished the Hatches and added remaining detail to the Beast.
 _GOTOTOP