_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Help with Staghound Charger
8Hussar
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
I am researching the Staghound Charger and there are few references available. I have all the major works on the Stag but, although it is mentioned often, there are no articles on the interior design of this unique vehicle. It is the turretless Staghound command version originally produced for Lt Gen Guy Simmonds, GOC, II Canadian Corps in France in July 1944. It was subsequently copied by some other Canadian Divisional commanders and does appear after the war in Dutch service - but again no interior photos or diagrams. Externally it is similar to any Stag less the turret. What I am interested in is the interior and I wonder if anyone out there might have any photos or drawings of the interior. Cheers!
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 06:59 PM UTC
The Staghound in Canadian Service booklet by Roger Lucy from the Canada Weapons of War series by Service Publications has a couple of pics of Lt. Gen. Simonds' charger but not any interior shots I'm afraid.

Here's a link to the Service Publications wepage: http://www.servicepub.com/weapons.html The Staghound booklet is about halfway down the page on the right hand side.

Bob
8Hussar
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 01:11 AM UTC
Thank you Bob. I have that monograph and the exterior photos are good but alas no interior shots. My best guess, given that the vehicle is a Corps GOC's charger is that it may contain:
at least 3 radios (likely 2 x #19, possibly a #52 long rangeset and maybe an RCAF #2 ground to air); there is no bow MG mounted so I assume that the gunner's posn would become the "radio" centre including a radio operator; can not see the antennae but assume they are at the rear with possibly one one the right front. The vehicle is equipped with braced windscreen (to also hold up the canvas top) and inwardly curving side hand holds. Not sure about the seating but it could be either bench type (also providing a storage place) or retrieved CMP seats on pedestal mounts. Given, that this was a local mod by the II Corps RCEME and Signal troops I think anything goes as long it as it is logical. Unless some surviving soul from that period has some personal recollections or pics. Unlike the Germans the Canadians were not only encouraged not to take photos but photographic equipment was often confiscated if found by by-the -book officers. The search continues! Cheers!
Don
 _GOTOTOP