_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
DML Panther D w/Zimmerit
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Scott. I'm a little nervous about waterslide decals on Zim. Any guidance? It's why I prefer Archer or MIG dry transfers.

Only one way to find out my friend.

I'll keep you all posted in the build log. I'm not too worried as the zimmerit pattern isn't all that deep. Now the King Tiger and StuH 42 Ausf. G are another matter entirely. I have a feeling I'll be using a lot of micro-set.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
It's hard to read the details of the color scheme photo in your review, but several tanks appear to have "Zimmerit" next to them. Are these decals adapted for Zim, is the guide simply saying "use Zimmerit"? Please clarify if you can, as I may order this set, but it's not cheap ($14 from Great Models).
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's hard to read the details of the color scheme photo in your review, but several tanks appear to have "Zimmerit" next to them. Are these decals adapted for Zim, is the guide simply saying "use Zimmerit"? Please clarify if you can, as I may order this set, but it's not cheap ($14 from Great Models).

Good question. The schemes that are marked "zimmerit" mean that the vehicle in question had zimmerit applied, therefore the markings are for a Panther D w/zimmerit. The decals themselves are no different from the non-zimmerit ones.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
How are the DS Tacks to paint? Same technique as the old "rubber band" style or can I use enamels and oils as with ''Magic Tracks"? Thanks, Ivanhoe 6
cach7
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hey Scott, Just got another Panther book from Troja. "Panther in color" All Waffen SS vehicles. All a's and G's. Not much of a referance book but will give some good ideas for specific vehicle's color schemes and markings.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How are the DS Tacks to paint? Same technique as the old "rubber band" style or can I use enamels and oils as with ''Magic Tracks"? Thanks, Ivanhoe 6

Good question. I'm still working on the upper hull details and will get to the tracks later this week. I'll post my impressions of the DS tracks here and in the build log. I would assume because of the makeup of the material for the tracks that they can be painted and weathered just like any others and are probably far superior to pure vinyl tracks.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Scott, Just got another Panther book from Troja. "Panther in color" All Waffen SS vehicles. All a's and G's. Not much of a referance book but will give some good ideas for specific vehicle's color schemes and markings.

I have a Panther Ausf. A and Ausf. G in the stash, so I'm going to have to check out that book. Thanks for the tip!
 _GOTOTOP