_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New K1A1 fromAcademy
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 07:27 AM UTC
Academy are working on a new kit of the Republic of Korea''s MBT the K1A1.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 09:22 AM UTC
I'm a bit puzzled but I suppose they could use this to get their reputation up. They should be able to research this vehicle quite well. Hopefully it will compare well to the Trumpeter kit (which was motorized).
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
Pretty good looking tank! I don't know much about the K1A1 but it is a welcome sight for modelers wanting new modern armor kits.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Looks like this will be a nice kit, hopefully they'll do it justice.

Quoted Text

I'm a bit puzzled but I suppose they could use this to get their reputation up. They should be able to research this vehicle quite well. Hopefully it will compare well to the Trumpeter kit (which was motorized).

Gary, I'm puzzled as to why you're puzzled?? I realize that WW2 is the largest part of the market, but there are a lot of us out here who build modern as well, and will welcome this kit, especially if it's done well.

Cheers,
Mike
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gary, I'm puzzled as to why you're puzzled?? I realize that WW2 is the largest part of the market, but there are a lot of us out here who build modern as well, and will welcome this kit, especially if it's done well.

Cheers,
Mike

I was puzzled as to why they would make a kit that Trumpeter already came out with. I wouldn't think there would be much demand for it. I guess it does make sense since Academy also makes the KIFV 2000 (and Academy being Korean). I did not mean a WW2 vs Modern choice. I have a quite a few modern subjects in my stash (including Trumpeter's K1A1).
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Mike

I was puzzled as to why they would make a kit that Trumpeter already came out with. I wouldn't think there would be much demand for it. I guess it does make sense since Academy also makes the KIFV 2000 (and Academy being Korean). I did not mean a WW2 vs Modern choice. I have a quite a few modern subjects in my stash (including Trumpeter's K1A1).

My guess would be it's because the Trumpeter kit was fairly inaccurate (and effectively stolen from Coree) and is not a great kit. I'd think it would sell well in Asia, as Tamiya's Type 90 is reputed to have. I do wonder if they'll tackle a T-80U next if this sells well as The ROK has those in service as well and it would cross over to a Russian/Soviet one as well.

Matt
squackattack
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
pretty excited about thiskinda thing.not really this particular mbt but the idea they would release it.I build only idf stuff and I have a budget,Can't afford all those resin kits from Legend.nOw why don't do a MerkavaMK>4 or reissue some of the older merks as updates or something to fill that gap.
 _GOTOTOP