_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Russian armored car question
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:21 AM UTC
Does anyone know if there are any kits available of any of the WWII six wheeled Russian Armored cars that come with the tracks that could be added to the rear wheels?

I have heard that there are some after market tracks available but I thought I would ask if there any that come included in a kit.

I would like to build one of them with the tracks in use.

Thanks

HARV
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 03:39 PM UTC
Sorry to say Randy, I don't think any of the plastic 1/35 BA-3/6/10's come with the tracks.

Who needs stinkin' tracks anyway????
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Who needs stinkin' tracks anyway????

I was thinking that it would be the best of both worlds!!

Thanks Pat

HARV
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 05:58 AM UTC
The Eastern Express BA-3 and BA-6 not only don't come without tracks, they don't come with enough wheels The kit comes with 11 wheels, ignoring the fact that the vehicles typically had a spare on both sides (i.e there should be 12). The Part PE sets for these kits are a) reasonably cheap - they used to be very cheap, b) spruce the kit up quite nicely and c) include a resin wheel. Part's also probably the cheapest source of tracks - they do a PE set for them that can be had for $16 or so. They look somewhat fiddly, but at least there aren't that many links.

Now if you want a real nightmare with removable tracks, the Aber set for the BT-2/BT-5 is an easy winner...

Hey, Pat, we agreed removable tracks are OK. It's not as if somebody's suggesting a softskin or something

Oh, speaking of which - not seen it mentioned anywhere here - Cyberhobby's latest "boutique" kit is an armored Jeep, circa 1944. Kit cost is $24.95. Currently in pre-order.

Al
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:59 AM UTC
Now Al, stop it right now with your taunting...
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC
Additional info: Eduard's PE set for the BA-6 includes the pieces necessary to produce a set of tracks for the rear wheels also.

They look easy enough to assemble but I can't help but wonder if the scale thickness is adequate. Given the typical thickness of even heavy-duty PE, I can't see the scaled up equivalent not getting all bent out of shape as soon as they were driven on.

Still, generous application of a nice gloopy, clumpy mud might be able to hide the (lack of) thickness.

Al
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Al.

HARV
 _GOTOTOP