_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
king tiger in Poland 1944
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 09:16 AM UTC
A diorama by Robert Liles featuring a King Tiger of sPzAbst 501 in Kielce, Poland , 1944.. It was made using Dragon’s 1/35 Alfred Kurzmaul Tiger II, this is also a good example of how different light levels effect what you see.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
tomapaul
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 425 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:59 PM UTC
Wow...that is a nice diorama!Me like a lot...
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:51 PM UTC
I like it, but the figures puzzle me; Is the light funny in the photos? They look jaundiced. I mean this in the best possible way mind you, Im not going to rip it apart with the whole IPMS Vermacht schtick of: "You dont have enough space between bolts in the turret, the zimmerit wouldnt have gone that high up, blah,blah,spew and blah".

No, i think it's a great piece, but I cant tell if there is shading on the figures or not with that light.
Aside from that, the only thing i can see is the butt of the MG, maybe try some burnt sienna oil paint on the butt of the gun next time. You put it on, let it dry for 24 hours, then gently wipe the excess off with a q-tip, and it gives it a wood grain look.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 05:26 PM UTC
Very Nice Dio. I like it .
DarioZ
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 09:50 PM UTC
That's one really nice painting and weathering job!
Congratulations!!
Regards
Darek
whiteeagle
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 299 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:20 PM UTC
Good job
And nice diorama!

Adam
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:49 AM UTC
Nice, build. Has anyone this picture of the vehicle? It would be very unusual to see a King Tiger without a 3 tone camouflage pattern.
spit
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Robert, Well done. A very nice diorama. But what's the story behind the boot in front of the Tiger? Inquiring minds want to know. Keep up the great work. Every model you build is a learning experience as I have found, so don't let all the critics get you down. Keep modeling and keep posting beautiful works like this one.

Chris
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

a good example of how different light levels effect what you see.

hi darren
is the [quote] the reason why the figures look so jaundiced. im not buy any means saying i can do better but i just would like to see the model in a more natural light....

neil
desertfox42
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks to all that commented.....and all are appreciated....good feedback or bad, this is what Armorama is all about.
Regarding the single boot,........it is there for just the reason that you perceptively noticed,......something to ponder. David and Goliath,.....man vs. machine.
As for the non-three color scheme, as I explained in the text, this was inspired by a photo of a King Tiger taken in Kummensdorf , late in the war which was entirely painted dark yellow. Regards, RL
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
I have seen several figures painted by Rob and the level of detail is very good, my comment in the introduction was to highlight how different levels of light, Direction, and type effect what the viewer sees.
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
As has been mentioned before, the effort given to detail is superb and a good example for others to follow (can't wait to start my first vingette)!!
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 01:38 PM UTC
You did a great job on this one , thanks for posting it Bob
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 06:45 PM UTC
A nice job on the dio and tank, Robert, but I would strongly suggest that you develop a better, more consistent method of photographing and lighting your next project. The lighting in many of your photos is just shy of terrible, if you'll excuse my frankness, and detracts from the overall presentation.
I don't know if it's your lighting or what, but you should work on getting a warmer skin tone on your figures; the TC looks a little pale. Some shading in the faces would really add dimension as well.
The butt of the MG is a curious shade as well--it should be a wood color; darker for sure.
The rest of the dio is really well presented, but I too would like to see it in a more natural light. Either that, or check the white balance of your camera.
pzkw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 08:14 AM UTC
Just want to add my 2 cents* about the paint brush: I have a Grumbacher #5 red sable that I bought in college back in the early eighties, and it's still going strong. I'm pretty sure I have 2 of those brushes, but I can't find the other one. Sixteen bucks for a triple-aught sable? Sounds a tad high, I think 12 - 14 bucks is more appropriate.

*whatever happened to the "cent" symbol on the keyboard, anyway?
desertfox42
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just want to add my 2 cents* about the paint brush: I have a Grumbacher #5 red sable that I bought in college back in the early eighties, and it's still going strong. I'm pretty sure I have 2 of those brushes, but I can't find the other one. Sixteen bucks for a triple-aught sable? Sounds a tad high, I think 12 - 14 bucks is more appropriate.

*whatever happened to the "cent" symbol on the keyboard, anyway?

Does that include sales tax? If so, I am going to charge back in there and demand my $1.37 back !! I feel like a fool now!! Regarding the cent key,....it was eliminated for political purposes............or down-sizing.........anyone?
 _GOTOTOP