_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Blast-Models OIF Humvee info request
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hey Guys, I've all the sets- Armored doors-Full and Half, Late type weapons ring,smoke discharges, accessories and aggressor tires. Since I'm using all of them for one Tamiya M1025, I'll have the Half doors as spare-which I'd like to use on an Academy M1025 and make whatever changes to the plastic kit into an OIF version..

Can I have some help making them into accurate or probable humvees in Iraq?.
Anyone have photos of the real ones Blast-Models based their kits on?
Should they be USMC or Army versions?And which OIF period would they be?

As in the photo-a Tamiya M1025 using all the items and full doors and aggressor tires. However the weapons ring rotation is limited due to the forward smoke discharges--Blast's instructions state that a wooden plank was use to relocate the smoke discharges-enabling 360 degree rotation of the weapons ring. Anyone have photos of this?
I also noted that Blast gave the option of letting the weapons ring 2 part hatch opened or folder.. But I have not seen it open in real photos.?

What alterations (tires, seats,etc) do I need to make on the Academy M1025? I intend to install the Half doors, and perhaps scratch build the same gunshield and weapons ring with Mk19 grenade launcher.

Also, anyone have photos of the "basic" comms radio inside? And where would the wiring go for the smoke dischargers?

Hope I'm not asking too much
THANKS!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:57 PM UTC
The vehicles that you can make out of the BLAST set would be from late '03 through about early '05. They have home-made armor and ASK (Armor Survivability Kit) add-on armor below the doors. After that time, pretty much all were replaced with factory built M1114 uparmored HMMWVs.

The wires for the smoke grenades go into holes drilled in the roof, then to a control unit somewhere up front, usually mounted between the front seats.

The current radios are SINCGARS, not the older PRC-77s that come in all HMMWV kits. Pro Art has a great SINCGARS set.

It usually has either 2 of the larger radios (ICOM, older), or 2 of the small radios (ASIP, as of about '03).

Pro Art SINCGARS set. Review here at Armorama.

They most likely would be US Army HMMWVs in the setups that you could make from them. USMC ones have different armor packages.

The rest is pretty much up to you how to build them. Seats and stuff like that come in all set-ups and no one is more right than the other. The best bet is to do some Google searches for HMMWV Iraq, or something along those lines. You will find lots of setups that were in use during the late '03 to '05 timeframe. Find one you like and model it.

Good luck.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
One of the best references on HUMVEES in Iraq is from Concord Publications. Tons of pics of HUMVEES with lots of hokey pokey armor and such. Pretty much all the little tidbits of info in the BLAST kit is correct concerning the wooden planks and gunners roof hatch is correct.
The doors may not fit the Academy kit due to size differences between the Tam and Aca kits.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the best references on HUMVEES in Iraq is from Concord Publications. Tons of pics of HUMVEES with lots of hokey pokey armor and such.

Great book! Here are sample pages: http://www.concord-publications.com/7513/7513.htm

Cheers,
Sean
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:06 AM UTC
Let's see if I can get this picture of one of the M1114s from my squad to post image.file" BORDER="0">
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hi Nick,

I used the concord publication the guys are referring too and its well worth the money.
Some guys on this site had dropped some really good images in the discussion forum of the
inactive humvee campaign last year .You may find some references there.

I ended up using Mig's OIF humvee set .

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:10 PM UTC
hey Nick, go to my Photo Bucket albums and you will find more of these in the albums.

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thank you guys for your replies.

Gino, thanks for the info on the radios. I've not gotten any images of the particular humvee combination, so looks like I'll have to go with what Blast "suggests" in their sets. It's what the collector I'm building these for wants anyway--I just like to be accurate when possible.

Guys, I actually have that book two, amongst almost every other OIF AFV related book--Great for M1114s but not really for older types. I especially like the SF humvees there.
Thanks for your humvee pics-they're inspiring.

Pete, nice to see you back again, those pics will also come in handy for the wiring. I do hope to install the SINCCARS, but it depends on time and cost.

I've decided to also use an Academy M1025 for the Half doors, yes I'll have to cut down the doors to fit. I'm also using parts from another Tamiya kit leftover to "upgrade" the Academy kit.

Pics soon to follow.

Thanks again!
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Nick
Here are some previously posted threads about HMMWV's, perhaps some thing in them will help.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/102355&page=1

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/110975&page=1#921080

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/106059&page=1

If anyone knows where Matt Black is please tell him we'd like an update on his amazing SF HMMWV's.
Regards
Bill
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 05:21 PM UTC
Thanks William, I've check out those links-nice builds there.

Hey guys, with all the excellent build blogs on Humvees around, you think I should do a WIP blog for my two M1025 kits?
They may or may not be as detailed but similar to my previous blogs below
Let me know.Thanks
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/116406#959117
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/115986#955269
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 07:57 PM UTC
Yes please....

....and good luck!
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:51 PM UTC
One reply is good enough for me.Thanks Sean! I'll post it shortly along with a separate one on a Stryker.
 _GOTOTOP