_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
OK Guru's I've got a Patton's Army Question.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 535 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 02:17 PM UTC
OK I'm going to model Patton's M3 Scout Car ... well after I that I'm thinking (dangerous I know) of making into about a 3 foot or so diorama with a small section of tank column and I'm going to put a sampling of equipment in it ... that's the long term plan anyway. It can be the 7th or the 3rd Army I believe he used the Scout in both.

I believe he'd have some ground troops in support, M-3's, M-4's, Willys MB, Halftrak and others.

So here's the question, because I'm not having much luck locating it my own ...

What vehicles would typically be in one of Patton's Army columns?

I plan on starting this is winter and who know who long it will take ... I'm still in the research and photo/info gathering stage. I'm not shooting for 100% dead on perfect, but I'd like to get close.

Thanks in advance ....
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 03:21 PM UTC
I believe Patton used an M3 scout car only during his time in the II Corps in North Africa. Maybe in Sicily also with 7th Army but not in NWE with the 3rd Army.

So for North Africa you might see M3 and M5 light tanks (no M5A1), M3 and M4 medium tanks, some early M10 TDs, M3 75mm GMC, M7 105mm HMC, M2 and M3 halftracks....plus all the usual trucks.

DML has a new kit of the M3 75 mm gun motor carriage so that might be a good one to use. They also have a kit of the early M4A1 Sherman coming out. The Academy M3 light tank would work as would the Academy M3 medium.

Hope this helps

Danny Egan
President
AMPS
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:01 PM UTC
Correct, through further research I found he used a Jeep in the 3rd and the Scout in Africa and Sicily.

Thanks for the leads on the kits and the info. I'm still planning this thing and who know when I'll get to it hopefully this winter. I've got a bunch in the "to build" pile I really should do first, but then again you should do what you're interested in at the time.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 02:50 AM UTC
Dave.

I'd love to see pics of your Patton Scout Car when you build it. I've never seen one modeled and it would be fun to check out.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave.

I'd love to see pics of your Patton Scout Car when you build it. I've never seen one modeled and it would be fun to check out.

Well do I have thread in Armor (softskin) about it, but I haven't even bought the model(s) yet as I'm still figuring out which models are best (that I can afford), which PE is best (that I can afford) etc etc ... you know the drill. Quality and value ... times are tight, you know.
But once I start on it I will post it, I've been in modeling "time out" for a couple of years so I'm going to build some other stuff first to get back into the groove, and brush up on some skills.
Crewchief
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi Gang

The M3 was used by Patton during the Africa campaign only. The vehicle was discontinued and removed from service shortly after he lost command of 7th Army.. As I can remember I think it was extremely top heavy and underpowered.
ExAFCop
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
I have in a book "The Essential Vehicle Identification Guide -- Western Allied Tanks 1939-1945 that when Patton went to Europe after D-Day, he used a heavily modified M-20 during field operations. If you have access to that book, it is on page 133. It's actually very cool looking.
 _GOTOTOP