_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Newbie Question on Tamiya 1/16th Scale Tanks.
hker71
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hello,

I am very new to this hobby. I want to buy a Tamiya 1/16th scale Tiger I fully optioned tank. I am leary of ebay and would like to purchase from a reputable dealer. From what I have read about Backyard Armor, I am also leary of going through them. Any suggestions??

I would really like to get into this hobby and the Tiger I is my all time favorite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

hker71
GibsonSG
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 05:22 PM UTC
This site has good people on it I am sure someone will come along to help you. I can recomend www.squadron.com I have had very good results with them. very old established company with decent prices.

Merry Christmas
Ryan
GibsonSG
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 05:24 PM UTC
I've been ripped off on ebay before and low price usually means huge shipping cost's
steveb7039
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 05:26 PM UTC
I ordered the Tiger 1 Full Option kit from Backyard Armor about 2 years ago and had no problem. The shipment took a few weeks to arrive because it was shipped directly from Hong Kong but the package was in perfect condition.
TIGER11
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
Inthe past I have found If you shop with sense and ask up front on shipping prices on ebay; you can find great deals. Ebay has many great dealers.
Also I found this place and have had great service.

www.stellamodels.net/catalog/default.php?cPath=76_113
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
Since you are in the states, there are a few reputable vendors to choice from, all of which I have used and are very satisfied with:

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/rctank.html Contact name is Tomas.

http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/RC-Tank-Parts.htm Contact name is Karen.

The ebay sellers I have purchased from and I am very satisfied with (you'll have to figure in those shipping costs from overseas ebayers) are:

http://myworld.ebay.com/manheader Contact name is Patrick.

http://myworld.ebay.com/stellamodels

I have 6 built 1/16th Tamiya tanks and 9 more in the "stash" waiting to be built and have doing this since 2004 so I do know a few good people.

Hope this helped you some! Let us know what you did get!!

Jeff
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
Jeremy,

Far be it from me to discourage you, but I think that you may be better off cutting your modelling teeth on something less ambitious (and much less expensive) than one of those.

Otherwise, there may be a danger of you getting disheartened with the whole modelling thing if you get bogged down, or if the results don't match your expectations.

Maybe try getting a few (relatively) simple, smaller 1/35 scale builds under your belt first - plenty of options there, including Tigers. Learn to walk before you run.

Just a friendly suggestion - the final call is of course yours. In any case, you'll always find people willing to help here.

- Steve
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
Actually Steve, I have built both scales and the 1/16th R/C tanks are much more user friendly and they certainly are more expensive, but they do get used and not sat on a shelf and collect dust. Plus, larger is easier to work with and there are aftermarket upgrades to "go to town" over just like the smaller scales.

There is less danger of him getting disheartened over one of these builds. Trust me, I know.
Rubicon
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
I ended up buying my M26 from Towerhobbies.

Slightly more, but they shipped it fast and were very easy to deal with.

I ordered detail parts from backyard and they came on time and I had no issues with the site.
 _GOTOTOP