_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
2 Uparmored Humvees & SF Dumvee WIP
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
Here's my first Humvee builds..

In reference to my older post: Blast-Models OIF Humvee info request

X2 uparmored M1025s from Tamiya & Academy. Using Blast-Models' OIF upgrades. The Tamiya kit will be installed with all parts, leaving the Academy kit with the half armored doors & a some scratch building for the others. These are commissions for my client with the Stryker , M1A1 w TAGS & AAVP7A1

Not much photos have been found for these variants so I'll do what I can to depict them "real"..

Build for Pro art's SFDumvee is a "thank you" for my girlfriend's brother, who recommened me to a client with the commissions of the 1/350 Enterprise CVN-65 & 1/12 Mclaren MP4/6.

I'm using Proart's Singars sets and various resin stowage, not much seen here but a lot of work on the way..
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:33 PM UTC
Where did you get the Pro Art Dumvee set in sunny singapore?

Cheers!
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
My girl's bro got it from Storm Domain. a tad pricey IMHO, but some don't like to wait via mail order.

I'm a cheapo..so only discounts via lucky model and others if I can help it... Besides I like recieving & opening boxes .. like X'mas that way
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC
Looking good Nick, I will follow these builds with interest! Does the stretcher thing come with the dumvee conversion? If you need reference pics for these builds, I would highly recommend Concords Humvee's in Iraq book, also try some of the photo hosting sites such as corbis, flickr etc as ive found many humvee pics on them, i'll see if i can sort you out with a few pics in an email if you would like them.....

Check out this link for some really great dumvee pics as well:
http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/5th-SFGA

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks Rob.

Yes the Stretcher comes with the Dumvee. I intend to scratch a couple for my other AFVs later. Do you need some measurements?

I have that Humvee book,really good-but no real good pics of the 2 blast-models I'm doing, I'll still check out those sites you recommend.

Yes please send me some pics of what you've got .. [email protected]

THANKS!
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
More and more Angrydog work!

Lars
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
I have several other AFVs in sloooow.. process.. But I'd think 4 blogs for now would be enough. ..don't want to end up chasing my own tail LOL!
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
Don't know if this helps or not, but Echelon do a good set of OIF/OEF/Afganistan Humvee decals. Here's a review:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/echelon/ech_t35022.htm

Good luck,
Sean
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:46 PM UTC
And I thought I loved Humvee's. DAMN!

Matt
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hey Sean thanks for the link.. I'm not sure if I'll be using any decals though. I believe these 2 uparmored humvees were during the early stage of OIF.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
nick impressive 4 blogs your a busy bee

should be intereasting il be following this

i know nothing about hummves but i wouldnt mind building one

i will be watching this with intereast !

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Humvee's rock....once you start building them they can become addictive. There are just so many possibilities: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/100-0100.jpg

Cheers,
Sean
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC
Wow Sean! Impressive collection! FYI there are definately a ton of customized versions since OIF--around 30!
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Humvee's rock....once you start building them they can become addictive. There are just so many possibilities: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/100-0100.jpg

Cheers,
Sean

Holy cow... Can never stop with one eh?

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
Can never stop...but I have slowed down!

I've gone through the basic OOB kits so recent ones have had more after market upgrades (cost more) and since I've started hanging around here on Armorama I've also paid a bit more attention to detail and weathering etc. I must take a pic of my first & last side-by-side: the difference is amazing, but I still can't seem to get the standard of some of the builds here.

Sorry Nick, didn't mean to hijack your blog...I'm looking forward to your next update...

Sean
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hey no problemo Sean, seeing so mnay Humvees are inspiring.. I'm looking forward to those pics!

My next update may be end of this month..
Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:38 PM UTC
Dont know if anyones interested, but I found this site which has some nice pics of various Dumvee upgrades and gun mounts

http://www.milsysgroup.com/vehicleEnhancements.asp
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:52 PM UTC
Hey Nick, I'm currently away from my computer, and my photo database until early February when I get off active duty orders, but as soon as I get back I'll open it up to whatever you are looking for. Shoot me a pm of anything you need and I'll send what I got.

But like rob said, flikr and divids and other photo databases are quite useful. I also like army.mil/images they haven't been doing many humvee shots, but it's a great way to get high res shots of equipment - though it's going to be inadvertantly and not the focus of the picture

Jeff
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC
Excellent site Banshee thanks! Some very cool variants for scratch building.

Hey Jeff, I'll send you a pm when I can come up with a list. Feburary is no problem. Thanks!

I will check those sites out shortly.

Can someone post some links to the interiors for the 2 uparmord humvees.. ? I'm looking as to how much gear,stowage and other items the crew would carry..something like a "load plan" like tank crews would have. And how many weapons and which type would be carried?

Also, as I would assume these two trucks would be in a early stage of OIF--(which OIF?)---what would be the appropreiate drinking water cartons & MREs and other stuff issued at that time?

The same I ask for the Dumvee....

Sorry about the questions...these trucks are virgin territory for me ..
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
impressive collection shaun

onyly a few ay

ive seena picture of a i think its a dumvee called the dukes in falluja i wouldnt mind building that
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:02 PM UTC
I've got a load plan somewhere so I'll add it to your list. You can definitely add cans of ammo in between the seat, maps in the front passenger area as well as if you are feeling antsy you can add an FBCB2 system for the TC, a quick search will get you shots of the system but you'll also need to add the antenna for it. Another item can be a medic bag in the interior. If it's between march -April 2003, there is as much gear on it as any other vehicle, but after that anything that wasn't needed for patrol or other mission was downgraded. So exterior equipment can be folded stretchers, traffic cones, concertina wire on the hood.

In the meantime, run through some of my old posts and you should see some useful photos and information, including interior shots, though many will be m1114 shots, a lot of it still applies. I'm trying to do everything possible while I'm away. One of the things about humvees is that you can darn near anything and as long as you can justify it, some unit probably did it.

That said, there are not going to be many cases of a humvee with that factork GPK shield and a bunch of gear like rucksacks thrown on the back hatch. The shield was an addon done in at least late 2003. Units were decently established by this time. But a scenario you could use was a vehicle from a unit moving in country from Kuwait.

Jeff
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 05:31 AM UTC
Jeff,

Looking forward to that load plan too!

I will skip on the FBCB2 system for this time (as I have other humvees planned later)

Any info or photos on the medic bag? or is one available?

I'll go for late 2003, moving in country from Kuwait..so I can pack these trucks up! (That's great info thanks!)
BTW, Which MOLLE system would be appropreiate for this period?

What type and how many folded stretchers? The Tamiya type?

Where traffic cones carried in 2003?

Coming to the maps & ammo cans...

For the period of 2003-- Does anyone have map images or magazines like autos, fishing,electronics, babe magazines, newspapers..etc ... ? I can scale them, print and use them for some real customising!
If I have enough of a list--I can compile and make a downloadable file for you guys to print yourself (FOC) or buy them printed from me-if you're too lazy.

About US weapons mounted OR carried on AFVs..Can someone tell me how many types of ammo boxes for these are carried on AFVs- in particular the Humvee, Abrams & AAV ?
I understand that the 50cal rounds for example come in various sized boxes.
And which model companies makes accurate ammo box sets?

Mk19 = 40mm
M2/ M2HB Browning = 50cal / 12.7mm
M240 = 7.62mm
M4 carbine = 5.56mm
M249 SAW = 5.56mm
Did I miss anything?

Sorry for so many questions, I hope they can be answered, it'll really help with my US AFV builds to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks!
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:45 AM UTC
Since I'm doing all from a phone let's see how much I can fit in. Best way to describe a medic bag is really just like an assault pack or a camo backpack. Something you can mimick with a rucksack because I can't think of anyone who makes an assault pack.

Traffic cones will look like your average variety, cone shaped and orange. I think blast or legends makes some. ALICE and MOLLE were both in simultaneous use, in some ways it still is - so any molle or alice rucksacks would work. And yes traffic cones would be used but it wasn't quite yet a standard.

Ammo cans haven't changed much over the years so anything you have in spare box will work. The average box of .50 comes in 100 rds boxes, but I don't know what the basic load per vehicle would be, I think 5 or6 boxes would work - for humvees that is. M240 comes in ammo cans and assault pouches, M249 ammo comes in boxes that attach under the weapon. Any kit that gives a 249 provides those boxes so it's really just a matter of replicating them. Then again these boxes also fit in pouches that attach to a soldiers web gear so replicating many is unnecessary. M4/m16 mages are carried by the soldiers themselves so you wouldn't find those hanging around. Excess 5.56 ammo mags and SAW boxes can also be carried in assault packs/rucksacks.

Mini sheets of maps and water boxes, etc are floating around. I have copies back home but guys like gino, boggie, Epi, or rob may be able to help out in the meantime

Jeff
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the effort Jeff,

is this the bag? Medic bag

I've read mixed info about usage of the Alice and MOLLE, some say the Alice was out since OIF but I'll take your word.
I'll see if I'll add the traffic cones..if I do it'll be a scratch, just need to know the dimensions.

For M249 ,M4,etc- just need to add some ammo pouches from figures kits like trumpeter's or from hobbyfan's MOLLE kits I have.

Correct me if I'm wrong..
For the 50cal : Legend productions & Mouse house makes them:
Mouse house 50cal ammo box
Legend has 2 different boxes (large & small, small has opened version as well) correct? These are also in the Dragon and Tamiya Abrams & Humvee kits. But isn't the smaller and thinner box in Legend's set for the M240's 7.62 rounds? Same as these 30cal ammo boxes by Mouse house? Why are they called 30cal?

I hope someone will come in here about the Mini sheets of maps and water boxes, etc of 2003 era..

Also, where can I get "bent" antenna bases???
punisher2-2
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 05:39 PM UTC
I was in a humvee on the drive up from kuwait during that time, and as far as ammo cans go, we would put our .50 cal rounds in the MK19 ammo cans due to the fact you could link more together rather than having to change ammo at 100rds. Also about the cones, we had 2 we'd slide down the antenna and really didn't use until we were in Baghdad later on for roadblocks but we had them for the drive up. FBCB2 was rare when I got there, maybe 1 or 2 per rifle company so not unusual to not have it. We did have 2 sincgar radios. We also had a roll of Concertina razor wire on the hood, and as far as ammo loads go. 1000 rds was the norm for .50cal depending on how many MK19 cans you had there were usually 2xMK19 cans=400 rds total and the rest were 100rd .50cal cans in the truck. Well hope this helps a little.
 _GOTOTOP