_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hobby boss AAVP7a1 WIP
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hi all

Just thought I would share with you a couple of pictures of the AAVP7a1 I am currently building for SMMI, I have plans for it to go in a diorama. I have to also point out that it is a super kit, one I have always wanted to build and it has to be one of Hobby boss best kits to date.

Interior

Tracks

I have glued the tracks to the wheels so that the whole lot can be removed for painting.

Exterior

The rear hatches open and close

There is also an additional Ariel port at the rear that I just sealed up with a plastic card disc as the instructions show nothing.

The turret

I have replaced the rings around the turret with P/e from Real model as the kit is done as solid squares. The turret is the only thing wrong with the kit as it requires quite a bit of filling and sanding.

the kit is currently in the paint shop

thanks for looking, comments as usual

cheers

Keith
johnlinford
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
Cooaaarrrr , can't wait to get one of those , looks good eh .
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Nice job so far ! But I think there's something wrong with the exhaust. It should face the rear like this

HTH
Frenchy
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi Keith,
Nice start. I think that model is excellent.
I today paint interior.
Miloslav
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:50 AM UTC
That's some kit. And one full of weathering possibilities.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks Keith to show us this nice model
OOB ???
Really great build
Cheers
Seb
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Keith

Nice job so far ! But I think there's something wrong with the exhaust. It should face the rear like this

HTH
Frenchy

Thanks for that Frenchy

because it shows the rear hatch bump stop is also missing from the instructions, although there is one on the sprue

I have redone the exhaust stack

cheers

Keith
newfish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Keith great start to the kit it looks really well detailed! Should be great to see it finished

What youy going to ahave in the dio?

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:35 AM UTC
That is a nice kit! Great work Keith!

Martyn
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:10 PM UTC
This kit sure looks like a beauty! I'll have to get me one of those!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:31 PM UTC

Keith, nice work. Thanks for sharing the build. Notching me into saving up my pennies and picking this up.
I need to ask a favor, though. Can you measure (in anything-1/35 feet, mmm, inches-whatever) the length of the turret control platform from the bottom of the actual turret ring to the bottom of the platform at the gunners feet? I just scratchbuilt that section, but, don't know how far down it hangs.

Please? If you could?
Cuhail
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hi
very nice build, can't wait to see it with some paint !
Hobby Boss are doing a great job with all the modern stuff they are announcing. If all future kits are in this quality standard, this will be also great. Just hope the prices won't raise too high !
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:09 PM UTC
Thanks for all the comments Guys

You will have to wait and see what's in the diorama but I have a real good idea, that should hopefully show this kit off to its best.

The depth of the turret platform is 14mm, from the very bottom of the turret ring

cheers

Keith
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC
You're right, as far as I can see it's a super kit!

LARS
spoons327
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Looks a great kit I bought myself one of these about a month ago but I havent started it yet as I was waiting for someone to do a review on the kit. Have you thought about what paint scheme you are going to do? as when I start building mine I think I will be painting mine in desert sand also the diorama I would like to do is an amtrack from the Battle of Nasiriyah with the US Marines. Also do you know what the color of the interior suppose to be?

thanks
Gary
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also do you know what the color of the interior suppose to be?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/132438#1100071

HTH
Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to do is an amtrack from the Battle of Nasiriyah with the US Marines.

It wouldn't really be accurate for an OIF 1 AMTRAK. I believe all that went north had EAAK armor on them.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
Here's the only picture I've found so far showing one OIF Non-upgraded AAVP7A1 without EAAK. Judging by the soldiers MOPP suits, I think it could have been taken in March 2003. This AAV belongs to the 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion (1st Marine Division).

HTH
Frenchy
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
You're doing a great build. This looks like an amazing kit, and I've never even heard of it! I should get myself one.

Scott
spoons327
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hiya Frenchy,
Thanks for information, yes you are right, they only used amtracs with EAAK Kits on, so
I am hoping hobbyboss will do a amtrac with EAAK. so I can do a diorama from the battle of nasiriyah. as I got the idea from a book called ambush alley that is a fantastic read. I like the photo that you have posted. do you know where I can look for some more photos.

thanks gary.
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hiya Frenchy,
Thanks for information, yes you are right, they only used amtracs with EAAK Kits on, so
I am hoping hobbyboss will do a amtrac with EAAK. so I can do a diorama from the battle of nasiriyah. as I got the idea from a book called ambush alley that is a fantastic read. I like the photo that you have posted. do you know where I can look for some more photos.

thanks gary.

Your luckly then Gary

as Hobby boss have a whole hosts of these planned for release all in 1/35

AAVP7a1 RAMS/RS

AAVP7a1 RAMS/RS with EEAK

AAVR7A1 recovery version

LVTP7

cheers

Keith

spoons327
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Thats going to be great that they are going to release with amtrac with EAAK I wouldnt mind building all of them as and when they come out. Regarding your kit build on your amtrac I am going to be starting mine shortly and I was wondering would it be best to complete the interior and then paint it or paint the interior as separate parts. Is the turret the only problem you have had and regarding the paint scheme what are the best colours to use for the 2 schemes ie the Nato camo and also did they paint these amtracs in a sand colour and if so what are the best colours to use? Any help would be very much appreciated as I am only just starting to get back into model building and this is going to be my first major kit build. So I am following your kit build quite closely.

thanks
Gary
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Keith

Thats going to be great that they are going to release with amtrac with EAAK I wouldnt mind building all of them as and when they come out. Regarding your kit build on your amtrac I am going to be starting mine shortly and I was wondering would it be best to complete the interior and then paint it or paint the interior as separate parts. Is the turret the only problem you have had and regarding the paint scheme what are the best colours to use for the 2 schemes ie the Nato camo and also did they paint these amtracs in a sand colour and if so what are the best colours to use? Any help would be very much appreciated as I am only just starting to get back into model building and this is going to be my first major kit build. So I am following your kit build quite closely.

thanks
Gary

Its a personal choice, but I find it easier to build the whole interior before I paint it then pick out the details. The interior will then need to be masked off so that you can paint the exterior.

I have also found that you will need to paint the tracks and wheels separate as well as the wheel arch area and mask off before you can fit the guards at the front of the vehicle. The turret is ok its just a bit of a pain to align every thing and the loops on the kit are whole and over scale, I would also advise test fitting all the lower interior before gluing in place as i had to do a little bit of sanding to get it all to fit square.

I will use the life color NATO paint set for mine as it has all the main colours to paint this kit,I did how ever use a Tamiya green lightened with white for the interior colour. The AAVP7a1 could also be found in a sand colour and the life color US sand is a very close match.

HTH

Keith
ladder5
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:02 AM UTC

Hi

the marines during the invasion in 2003 used the AAVP7a1 with EEAK, with the mounts only and with out any fittings, all versions. the one presently being shown in this topic is ok for TF TARAWA at An Nassiriya

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/taskforcetarawach_1.htm

http://picasaweb.google.com/nobbie333/War01#

ive put together a file on the battle like i did with 3ID. all for personal use, any body wants it just drop your email and i will send.
also read 'marines in the garden of eden' by richard lowrie. much better than ambush alley. you can put the pics in my file in order with the books narrative.

mark
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hiya Frenchy,

thanks gary.

Hi Gary
You can browse photo hosting websites like Flickr (a lot of Hi-Res pics there...), Webshots or Picasa. You can also take a look at official websites like Defenseimagery.mil or usmc.mil This should get you started

Here's an example of photo album :
http://picasaweb.google.com/andy.adyns/Aav02

HTH
Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP