_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Appropriate colours for 88mm Flak gun?
charlie19
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
I am currently building the Dragon 88mm Flak and am not sure what colours to use for the camo. Suggestions for colours for Europe or North Africa would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has been covered before but this is my second armour piece and am normally an aircraft man!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC
You really need to chose a time and place to get an answer. As it is, it's like you're saying, "I don't know where I'm going. How do I get there?"
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 05:46 AM UTC
Total agree with Al here.
Once you've got that figured out this post will fly, you'll have so many reply it will make your head spin.
charlie19
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 07:05 AM UTC
Of course...sorry guys. I am assuming there are some 'stock' colours that would have been used in various theatres.

I am thinking of either Europe '44 (I like the Grey with those white camo lines or is that Eastern front?) or a North Africa scheme. Do I need to be more specific or is this ok?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently building the Dragon 88mm Flak and am not sure what colours to use for the camo. Suggestions for colours for Europe or North Africa would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has been covered before but this is my second armour piece and am normally an aircraft man!

Europe: Overall Dark Gray from early war through February, 1943. Overall Dark Yellow with random overspray of Olive Green and/or Red Brown from February 1943.
For North Africa colors as well as hobby paint equivalents for all German military colors, go to: http://www.miniatures.de/colour-ral-farben.html
charlie19
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:00 PM UTC
Many thanks for that! So I would be ok to go with Dark Yellow/Red Brown 'squiggle' overspray for a Normandy/D-Day 88?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Absolutely! Post us some photos when you're done.
railbuilderdhd
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Europe: Overall Dark Gray from early war through February, 1943. Overall Dark Yellow with random overspray of Olive Green and/or Red Brown from February 1943.
For North Africa colors as well as hobby paint equivalents for all German military colors, go to: http://www.miniatures.de/colour-ral-farben.html

That's a great little resource to have there. I wanted to ask a more simple question that may have been covered as well. What era and place was the flak 88 guns used? I'm thinking I would like to do a diorama in the sand so maybe Africa.
Dave
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's a great little resource to have there. I wanted to ask a more simple question that may have been covered as well. What era and place was the flak 88 guns used? I'm thinking I would like to do a diorama in the sand so maybe Africa.
Dave

Glad you found this thread useful lo these many years later!
The Flak 18, Flak 36, and Flak 37 were used throughout the war. Being antiaircraft guns, they were tall and rather hard to hide (the gun was mounted on a tall pedestal, so it had room to recoil when firing straight up). A dedicated 88 mm antitank gun was introduced in 1943, with a lower carriage (and some were mounted on modified howitzer carriages, as well). The flak guns continued to be pressed into service as antitank guns through the end of the war, though.
 _GOTOTOP