_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
A New Concept in Zimmerit
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:30 PM UTC
Interesting news for AFV modelers from Monroe Perdu Studios - a company better-known for its extensive range of diorama products with the release of: MPD051 - Zimmerit for Tamiya Panther G. Full details of this iinnovative development can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC
Never worked with Atak or even zimmerit though, but this looks very easy to handle. The result looks convincing

Hilbert
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:59 PM UTC
Looks like a quite smart idea. Its a pity they didnīt include an image of the mantlet from the front ... a part that resin companies include as a complete new assembly.
JayFallon
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:26 AM UTC
The Japanese company Show Modeling, did something similar years ago, I used it on the Tamiya Brummbar & still have a set for the Tiger 1, used Plastructs liquid cement to attach, was easier that the resin types for me and I liked the results.
Jay Fallon
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
Neat concept and Idea. Has anyone used this and how does it stand up to multipile coats of paint and washes since its a form of paper?

Tanks
Andy
alfa10
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
Looks interesting. Seems simple to apply, maybe even I couldn't mess it up. Good question, though, about its durability. Would it deteriorate or tear if it got wet, and/or shrink as it dries?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
Like Jay said, Show Modelling made a similar product about 10 yrs ago. Its drawback was that the ridges were too soft. Maybe Monroe has done a better job -- the pics seem to indicate so.

SOmething that can't be done are rounded shapes. Note there are no pics of the kugelblende -- if you look at the "crown" zimmerit piece, you'll immediately realize that it won't look realistic at all.
Removed by original poster on 03/05/09 - 15:05:51 (GMT).
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
If all you have to do is Zim the MG ball and mantlet can't be bad. Specially when you look at how rough the zim was applied to these areas. Looking at war time photos
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
I still have one of the Show Modeling Zim sheets. It was embossed paper which is why the detail was so soft. The MP product looks very nice and easy to work with.
I see no reason why it wouldn't withstand multiple coats and washes as once the first coat is on it's basically sealed. Kinda like painting on watercolor paper.
I'm going to pick a set up at the SCAHM's show later this month and see if I like it better than the Caviler resin type.
Good question about the mantlet and the kugelblende. That will be the decider I think.
C.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
We actually have this Panther set available for review, so if someone is willing to go all the way and apply it to a Tamiya Panther G (early) please let me know. Looking at the sheets they seem to be very high quality and not soft at all. Certainly the scale looks to be right on the mark.

Cheers,
Jim
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
I find it rather expensive it has the same price as Atak resin zimmerit. This is the downside of all AM resin kits and this one makes no better. Pity.
spit
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC
There have (inevitably) been a few misconceptions about this product. Some of the most common ones have been addressed directly by Michael Bishop, Primarily, the nature of the product. The thread on Missing Lynx can be seen:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1236253811/A+New+Zimmerit+Concept-
captnenglish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We actually have this Panther set available for review, so if someone is willing to go all the way and apply it to a Tamiya Panther G (early) please let me know. Looking at the sheets they seem to be very high quality and not soft at all. Certainly the scale looks to be right on the mark.

Cheers,
Jim

Since Mike Bishop is local, I've actually seen this set in person and it's quite impressive. Jim I'm not much of an armor guy, but if you are looking for someone to review this set and you can bring it to SCAHMS, I can write up a review in no time. BTW, speaking of SCAHMS, did you get the PM I sent you pertaining to SCAHMS I never heard back from you and time is running short
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Great innovation indeed! But one thing puzzles me though - have they not experimented with plastic card instead? The advantage is simple: you can use regular model cement plus you can melt the edges down to the model thus removing the need to putty? (at times of course). Maybe the problem lies in getting the right plastic sheets in the appropriate thinnest - oh, what do I know?

Hope they've got enough research material to create multiple versions for a single subject - not all Panther Zs are alike - and a chance to create field-applied versions too! A great opportunity to expand the range! Hope to try the products one day.

Cheers!

Lawrence
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find it rather expensive it has the same price as Atak resin zimmerit. This is the downside of all AM resin kits and this one makes no better. Pity.
spit

Sometimes I wonder why I even try.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes I wonder why I even try.

Yep. I know the feeling. Welcome to the age of the 'Instant' Review...
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Can I just point out that Spitfire, so spit, is his call sign, so not meant to be an insult or anything. So all he really said was that like a lot of aftermarket kits it is a bit expensive for him personally. No biggy. Remember too that not everyone on here is a native English speaker and things sometimes can come out seeming a bit more abrupt than intended.

So keep trying Michael, you know why you do really.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Jim

If no one steps up to the plate on this, I would be willing to do this review for I do have the Tamiya Panther G Early Version in the stash.

Just let me know.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 09:04 PM UTC
It looks easy to use,

However it seems like the vertical lines forming the squares don't connect from top to bottom, as in the real pattern.
 _GOTOTOP