_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
ICM's Matilda has been Cancelled
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 09:47 PM UTC
Changing from the usual type of News Report, this is something which would normally appear in the Forums. In an e-mail from ICM yesterday, they confirmed something that is not entirely surprising - that their Matilda II (Mark IV) has now been canceled. My (personal) thoughts can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
That really is sad news as the features on the ICM were the features I was after. Going off the pictures of Tamiyas example it appears to be a III/IV and not the more familiar Desert Matilda (II). In fact hunting through photos leads me to believe Tamiya have erred greatly in do a matilda of this model as a desert example as it appears that the production run of III's and IV's was sent to Australia and USSR with the rest being used in the UK.
I can't recall seeing a picture of one wit the earlier track either. I'd be delighted to be wrong on this - I really would.
Maybe ICM can just release the spudded tracks?

Cheers
Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In fact hunting through photos leads me to believe Tamiya have erred greatly in do a matilda of this model as a desert example as it appears that the production run of III's and IV's was sent to Australia and USSR with the rest being used in the UK.

I also share that view. However, since it's from Tamiya and it could come with 4 turrets and it'd STILL be applauded. Any other manufacturer makes the slightest error and the sky is about to fall - Tamiya make mistakes (as they did with their Char B B1) and it's the greatest model ever. Go figure...

As to ICM doing seperate tracks - i'll bring it up with them..
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That really is sad news as the features on the ICM were the features I was after. Going off the pictures of Tamiyas example it appears to be a III/IV and not the more familiar Desert Matilda (II). In fact hunting through photos leads me to believe Tamiya have erred greatly in do a matilda of this model as a desert example as it appears that the production run of III's and IV's was sent to Australia and USSR with the rest being used in the UK.
I can't recall seeing a picture of one wit the earlier track either. I'd be delighted to be wrong on this - I really would.
Maybe ICM can just release the spudded tracks?

Well Bob Gregory has proved me wrong and found a few pics of Desert Mk III's so all is in order again. I think I'll wash my shoe before putting my foot back in my mouth. A silver lining again but still a pity about ICM's. I do agree that people are a lot more forgiving to Tamiya. Its Ok to releasea slightly revamped Sherman from the 80s with hollow backed wheels and all the same faults but if DMl don't move one bolt head......
Cheers
Al
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
I wonder how far ICM had got with the development of their Matilda? Apart from box art and the recently posted CAD images, I don't recall seeing or hearing about any test shots being produced.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
That's a pity, choice is always a good thing, especially where cost is involved.!

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
Curiously, as much of Tamiya's current output is repackaged ICM products, I wonder if their relationship will suffer some 'reverses'...
Removed by original poster on 04/16/09 - 10:18:30 (GMT).
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 09:07 AM UTC
Given the relative sizes of Tamiya and ICM, and given the financial benefits ICM must reap from partnership with Tamiya, I strongly suspect ICM chose to avoid an unprofitable confrontation. If I were in their shoes, I would do the same thing.

Since Tamiya tends to release one variant of a given vehicle and walk away, maybe ICM can repurpose their design work to produce an earlier mark. A lot of modelers were hoping for a Mark II.

I hope there is a silver lining for them.

-Doug
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Sad to hear, you have to wonder about the timing of this.
ICM have said that a Matilda IV was in the works for about 2+ years now.
It would be interesting to find out how far along the molds and the kit were when Tamiya made their announcement.
It certainly would have been nice to see two kits rather than one.
Cheers

jjumbo
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Sad news indeed.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC
Firstly, I still believe it would have been commercial suicide for ICM to go 'mano a mano' with the Japanese Behemoth. They were correct to cancel the project.

Though, therein lies one of the problems. I believe that ICM, if their Matilda had been commercially succesful (and there's NO reason to believe otherwise) then they're the kind of company who WOULD have done variants on the same chassis. We WOULD have seen a Mk. II from them and possibly something like the Close-Support-Howitzer. If DML had done it they would have done every possible variant to get their money back (and then some)- probably including the German BeutePanzer with the 47mm (or whatever it was).

With Tamiya having the 'monopoly', that's it. As someone said the other day, it took them 15 years to update their Pz. III whereas there were 4 modified F-15s (or F-16s) in 18 months. That's it. Door closed. A new Matilda in 1/35th scale and the usual suspects will be falling over themselves to praise Tamiya's 'unflinching commitment' to the armor modeler.

There is though light in the darkness - the AM people will be falling over themselves to do the modifications, the conversions and, as usual, providing a first-class service to their customer base. That's the REALLY positive part about the current situation!
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If DML had done it they would have done every possible variant to get their money back (and then some)- probably including the German BeutePanzer with the 47mm (or whatever it was).

Hey Jim,
It was a 50mm KwK L/42 and it was nicknamed Oswald by the new owners/operators:

Oswald

Cheers

jjumbo
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It was a 50mm KwK 42 and it was called Oswald:

Thanks, I was only 3mm out! That is just SO cool!
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Its a shame, I would have bought both.
 _GOTOTOP