_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Grizzly WIP
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hello and welcome. After months of thinking and upgrading my skills i have made a decision to go ahead with my most demanding project yet. M1 grizzly.
I will use hull and as many parts as possible from trumpeter 5 in 1 kit (1/35 scale) the rest will be a scratchbuild. I will post some pictures of progress asap, i have already started and i will post some pictures as soon there will be something to show.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
I subscribed and now standing by. This will be a very involved project. And an interesting subject.

Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
Ok i was able to push some work today so here it is:

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:14 AM UTC
that is some very careful measuring and cutting ahead of time

Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
Armorama: 277 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
gonna keep an eye on this one as well... got a few of these beasts running around on base... looking good so far Adam...
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
Adam,

Are you not going to model the mesh side skirts that were on the Grizzly Prototypes? (image on Prime Portal):

Can't wait to see how this build goes...

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

gonna keep an eye on this one as well... got a few of these beasts running around on base... looking good so far Adam...

I thought there were only two prototypes, both in Museums now? Or is there a different vehicle named M1 Grizzly? Just curious.

Jim
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hello everyone thank for interest in my "little" project.
Mesh on side skirts will be done as one of the latest parts of project. I know it should be transparent but as soon as i will find right material i will just cover existing panels with it.
Main hull should be quite easy it's the mine plow that i'm worry about, but no worries we will get one day.
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
Adam,you`re a star !.I`ve always wanted to scratchbuild something like this,even going so far as to purchase a Trumpeter `Brams as a base kit - so keep up the good work as imitation will be the sincerest form of flattery.

Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Adam,you`re a star !.I`ve always wanted to scratchbuild something like this,even going so far as to purchase a Trumpeter `Brams as a base kit - so keep up the good work as imitation will be the sincerest form of flattery.

So keep your fingers crossed, it ain't gonna be easy one. Progress so far:

spookman
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:29 PM UTC
Too cool. I've been wanting to model this for a while fub don't have the patience to kitbash/scratchbuild it. I'll be watching this verrryyy closely...

I saw something about MR Modellbau making either a conversion kit of a combi-kit - have you heard anything about that?
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:36 PM UTC
Progress so far looks good. What do you use for putty?

MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I thought there were only two prototypes, both in Museums now? Or is there a different vehicle named M1 Grizzly? Just curious.

Jim

A tale of TWO Grizzlies...... This build log appears to be for the Army version that was cancelled earlier this decade. It included a telescoping boom and many other changes. It was a different beast than the Grizzly that has been adopted by the USMC and is actually in service. The USMC Grizzly is a assault breacher vehicle, but with a turrent that mounts a MCLIC device and breaching/mineclearing blade. For some really great links about the Grizzly that is NOT a museum piece and in active duty follow the link to photos and more links.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/128421&page=1
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jim

A tale of TWO Grizzlies...... This build log appears to be for the Army version that was cancelled earlier this decade. It included a telescoping boom and many other changes. It was a different beast than the Grizzly that has been adopted by the USMC and is actually in service. The USMC Grizzly is a assault breacher vehicle, but with a turrent that mounts a MCLIC device and breaching/mineclearing blade. For some really great links about the Grizzly that is NOT a museum piece and in active duty follow the link to photos and more links.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/128421&page=1

If this current project ain't gona kill me, i will make that one also and m104 Wolverine and M1 with dozer blade from challenger. Big plans for the future will see.
Small update:

MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC
I'd like to make one like yours in 1/72 scale, but haven't been satisfied that I've got reference material to make it accurate enough. Yours is looking good.

At least with the current USMC version its mainly a heavily modified turret as the most immediately noticable feature. The Army prototype, like yours, was significantly different and barely resemebled an M1.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hi Buddy,back under a new banner name but still following your build with great enthusiasm - do`nt think mine`s going to look as good as yours but i`m doing my best.
SimonW
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 07:54 AM UTC
Your build is looking very good so far

May I ask what plans you are using?
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hello and welcome in another episode. I'm glad that you guys like it, but i have to admit that scratchbuilding of that mine plow will require a lot of support, because i'm not sure about mental health.
I'm using picture reference from 3 walkarounds avaliable from primeportal.
2 pictures:

Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
Another day another part:

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 02:49 PM UTC
alright, coming together. What is that part?

armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
looking good so far,for the benefit of the ignorant what`s the thing on the rear engine deck.the thing that looks like a mini jet engine ?
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

looking good so far,for the benefit of the ignorant what`s the thing on the rear engine deck.the thing that looks like a mini jet engine ?

A cargo/storage bin with a spare road wheel on the front (image from PrimePortal):

At least that's what it looks like...
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:31 AM UTC
Little progress, during working with side skirts i have accidently riped off that "tool box" and is not straight in line with main hull now, i will have to fixed it later. I'm currently waiting for some resin bolts and nuts so i can add more details.

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 04:20 PM UTC
Very Very Nice Adam, I've been following this thread and looking forward to it's completion!
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very Very Nice Adam, I've been following this thread and looking forward to it's completion!

Thank you, i'm glad that people like what i have been doing on this project. It will take another few months to complete this project so be patience.
 _GOTOTOP