Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
German WWII railway depot dio part I
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi, everyone,
I have already finished a few cars for my diorama and started work at the base. Just a few words about my plan:
This part, 240x45 cm size, will contain one track - spur track - with BR 86 locomotive and 5 cars, ruined service building with a crane and coal supply for steam locomotives, water crane, some other small buildings and adds, workers loading up a car, service staff etc. Whole diorama, about 240x 200 cm, will have about 6 or 7 tracks, second and third track will be for transit, with trolley wire, because I have 1 electric locomotive already. Suppose some small train drifting or something else(have a few more cars, others are coming and might be use for my Leopold gun or Morser Karl on carriers). Forth and fifth track ending in steam locomotives service building (have BR 64, BR 86 from Trumpeter coming next year, have armoured BR 52 with wannen tender, planned in three-coloured camo, another BR 52 with Vanderbilt tender, planned in grey and yellow strip camo). There will be also fully armoured train. Trumpeter has announced 5 armoured cars for next two years and armoured BR 57 steam locomotive as well. And the Dora at the back. Some other small buildings, all that stuff and mess you just can imagine in busy German military railway depot, some small vegicles, figures (really pain for me to paint) - that is incomplete description of my idea.
I started with kits last year and this is my very first diorama ever, so I am not sure about upcoming results - however, you were warned
I will sort out my stuff and bring some news soon.
Cheers
Libor
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
Sounds good and very involved. I like seeing the RR dioramas. It forces a lot fo work and creativity.

Looking forward to it.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 04:27 PM UTC
Involved is an understatement. Where in the heck is this stored at while you work on it?

grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks, guys,
some news will appear tonight hopefuly. Yes, Scott, thats what I like, to be creative and try something new. This kind of things does not have limits, which always come sooner or later, if you build the other military vehicles.
Well, Brian, basically it is stored everywhere and my wife goes mad sometimes, so I just move things from here to there and back...
Cheers
Libor
milvehfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hey grave_digger, Cant wait for those railcars in a Dio setting. bring it on ! milvehfan
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
So here I am so far. Got a base and did basic drawing, something can change by the time

Started job on ruined building, once glued, I painted the roof with base primer color and using the hair spray technique I got appearance as below. The same for the doors. Then I airbrushed red walls, applied pigment mixed with alcohol, and finally washed down.

Hair spray technique also used for the crane. Bricks and stones painted with pigments, then wheels oiled with Mig grease mixture and their metal pigment added for shining metal appearance.

Next I will try to finish the building and its interior (office and small store planned) and get brick base for the crane. I will cast brick sheets in resin and then scratch build needed walls.
More pictures and details can be seen at my website:

diorama

Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome.
Cheers
Libor
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Please try to rotate the whole scene about 5 degrees counterclockwise on the base.
The overall composition is good and strong. What draws it down a bit for me is the way the track is parallel to the front edge of the base and the building is nicely 90degrees to the back corner.

Great work on the elements so far.
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 06:59 PM UTC
Libor,

Great start. Looking forward to following this thread.

Regards,
Pascal
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 09:36 PM UTC
Thank you, Hut and Scott for kind words.
To Scott: I agree with you, the exact position of the building will be set up later. This base is actually first one and the second base will be added to the front edge of this, there where track and switch are. The second base should have two transit tracks. I have mentioned 6 or 7 tracks, it is gonna be some train station layout alike, so I think its appearance will be better, once the other parts are added...
Cheers
Libor
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 11:01 PM UTC
Good deal on the base - looking forward to it.
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thanks, Scott,
I have not been here for a while, so very small update today. I made a couple resing castings some time ago for stone and brick walls, today I cut off pieces needed and glued together simple base. Evergreen stick used for wood, texture added with help of file. There will be some ladder to allow people to get up and operate the crane. I want it looks like that was built lately, quickly and messily, just to get it working, and suppose that paint and weathering will give it a good appearance.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Back after a while. My progress should be faster in the future. I have started cork base for ruined building, the crane base just needs more weathering, once the wood and metal parts are painted.

Thanks for looking
Libor
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
Libor great work mate.

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 11:37 AM UTC
Yes, Great work Libor!
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 09:43 PM UTC
Thank you for nice comments, Jaymes and Martyn.
Libor
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hi Libor,

Excellent stuff, great worki so far.

AL
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Libor
I wish I had the balls to do something like this Awesome,I will follow this with great interest.
Keep going mate
Andy
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
Thank you, Alan and Andy, for kind words.
I have finished another car for my diorama, Trumpeter´s Railway Gondola with detailed scratchbuilt Kunz-Knorr brake. More pictures available in my gallery: gallery

Finally I painted the woods on base for the coal crane, some weathering later. I also started some furniture for the office inside the building.

Thanks for looking.
newfish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Libor great work on the table and shelving unit I so cannot wait to see this finished!

Great stuff

grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 08:50 PM UTC
Thank, Jaymes,
actually I have planned a few nice details for this interior, and I am thinking about some working light inside the office, so the result should be seen well through the windows.
Cheers
Libor
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 04:04 AM UTC
Libor,

What an exciting looking project , I really like the work you have done on the crane it looks fantastic keep up the good work

Regards,

jerry

grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
Thanks, Jerry, your comment is much appreciated. I have done another progress and update will show up soon.
Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:13 PM UTC
Window frames waiting for glass and door for handle. Another equipment finished and ready for painting. I still have to do some lamp or light, a few files to be put on the shelves, and a couple of small details to finish the interior. More pictures at my website, some here:

Cheers
Libor
RobFBG
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 12:02 AM UTC
This is all great but I especially like the kamina and the chair of the latest stuff you are working on
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thank you, Rob.
I should get them painted soon.
Libor