_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
Dragon's Cherkassy 1944
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC
Russ Amott reviews Dragon's German Panzergrenadiers at Cherkassy:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
I have completed most of the construction of the figures and done most of the painting. I am trying to follow the box instructions but the painting guide leaves a lot out. Fit of the figures was excellent with only a couple of very small gaps that were easily filled. I scribed along the seams, belts and harness and removed a couple of straps to modify with paper strips.

My first attempt at German camo.

The downside of the kit is in the heads and gear, especially the weapons. Two of the figures dont have ears but instead large blocks. The kneeling figure has these blocks almost around the back of his head. I had to carefully sculpt a basic ear shape out of this. You could also use a tissue to make a balaclava or knit hood as one of the other figures is wearing. I also carefully shaved off the mold seams on the weapons, evened out the mis-alignment edges and re-scribed along all the lines. I can't get my camera to focus so no close up shots are available right now. A new one is enroute. I'll post better images when it arrives.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
Apologies for digging up a decaying corpse of a thread, but as I started tackling these very figures last night, I just thought I'd comment:

This is a perfectly serviceable set of figures. But building it alongside the Gen2 "Austria Last Battle" set I notice that the difference between the two is like night and day in terms of moulding crispness and overall quality.

I'd say that the "Cherkassy" figures are definitely best served with Gen2 weapons and gear, with replacement resin heads. The head for figure "D" is probably the best of the bunch. The weapons are p!ss poor.

Russ - nice-looking stab at the camo.

- Steve
durruti66
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:18 AM UTC

I bought ths box, and I found it quite poor.

By the way, the officer with fur cap is told to be a SS, but has heer collar tabs...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 12:31 PM UTC
Russ- can you describe the paint type and maker you applied to each figure?
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP