Twilight 2000 Campaign
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
okey dokey

thought this would be a good place to start asking Q's and getting ready.

One question I have, can we start sooner than Oktober 1st or do we all want to wait?

I plan on doing the M115A1, the M113 with the LAV turret as my "official" vehicle. See Gunnie, a western vehicle. (Then I will have to do about 4 more russkies to make up for my sin!)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 02:07 PM UTC
I'm itchin' to get going on mine too! Oktober 1st is so far away!!!

I see no reason why prospective modelers can't begin gathering their material together now. T2000 Campaign subjects encourages some radical conversion efforts - wouldn't want to waste any time gathering items and information by waiting until the launch date. Naturally, no model can be finished before the Campaign begins however to be eligible for a Ribbon Award. We do have a Ribbon already selected - consult the Ribbon Bank - and a version with Clusters for those who build more than one for T2000.

I'm going to model the M948 LARS (Light Artillery Rocket System - MLRS "Junior") as my first entry in this Campaign. I'm going to convert the AFV Club M730 Chaparral FAADS and scratchbuild the LARS Launcher Box for the rear deck. I also set aside the GaZ-66 Truck too - I'm planning on doing something Soviet too - but I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with the GaZ-66 yet. I do have some other secret projects in the planning/gathering material stage too...

I have one burning question:

My books are old - like all you guys who still have them. What is with the US camo colors?!? In my books I have what looks like a purple color - surely it isn't purple - 'ya think?

Thoughts, suggestions, want to open it up and include MERDEC or NATO tri-color - or stick to what is drawn in the books? Either way, I'm gonna have fun with it, even make purple work if that's our group consensus.

Gunnie
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
Oh Boy...

T2000 begins- I have a couple of questions as well:

How much work can we do before the actual start date. I realize that using an existing model is not allowed...and would sorta eliminate the point of doing the CAmpaign. I have some serious conversion/ fixup work I want to do to a T2000 Vehicle based on a Civilian design (IF this would be a legal vehicle).

And while we're on the topic- What is legal to build? Does it have to be one of the Vehicles in the T2000 books? (PLEASE say no!- I'm hoping to use a liberal amount of imagination for this one!)

Final question- can we do a diorama?

Quoted Text

Thoughts, suggestions, want to open it up and include MERDEC or NATO tri-color - or stick to what is drawn in the books? Either way, I'm gonna have fun with it, even make purple work if that's our group consensus

Gunnie- I'd say that ANY Camo pattern would be OK. If my memory serves me (and that is a sometimes thing) the period/scenario portrayed in T2000 was a "come as you are, fight with what ya got" environment! I can imagine anything from 100% MilSpec equipment to local groups of civilians armed to defend their turf. Or am I WAAAY off base here?

Well, I've rattled enough.

Jim/ Jaster
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
I, too, am itching to start, but I'm holding back because I got law school. However, if it'd starts sooner rather than 1st Oktyabr, that'd be ok for me - as long as the deadline is extended.

As you comrades already know, I'd be doing an M1A3+AHAP. Will be painted black overall with red tiger stripes (yeeeup!) and with a death-with-sickle decal on the turret sides.

AND! if I have more time left in that campaign (wouldn't be much of a conversion to the M1A3 anyway - just add styrene sheets for extra armor, new gun, that's all), perhaps a T-2000 "White Ghost" which I plan to paint in mottled white camo. Clue on what the T-2000 MBT is: based on one of the concept vehicles to replace the M551 Sheridan. The T-2000 will be my Soviet vehicle.
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hey All,

If it is okay, I would like to be a part of this campaign also!

Its been a long time since I thought about Twi2K, but I have been poking around the web looking at some sites and it got me excited to build something. I wonder where my old books are...probably with my old D&D stuff.

I am also curious about the guidelines, will the models have to be directly from the books? Or is "Imagineering" (not my word, another classic Shepard Paine!) going to be allowed. I have all sorts of bits and pieces of old kits laying around that would be fun to try and rebuild as "field mods" of their former selves!

-Chris

(Hey! Another piggy has made officer, the officer's club will have to install a trough for us all!) (++)

And for those of you that can't find your old books either I found a site that seems to have all of the info in "Microsoft Word" form:

http://pmulcahy.100megs3.com/

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:50 PM UTC
IIRC, the subjects we'll be building will be limited by the rule "Keep it realistic", i.e. no hover tanks, no Tiger tanks with M1A2 turrets, and other "unreal" subjects. It'll involve some "minor" kit bashing, like putting a LAV-300 turret on an M113, or up-gun/up-armor an M1A2 into an M1A3, to some major scratchbuilding such as putting a new gun system on board a T-80UD... OOOPS!!! Slip of the fingers there hehehehe
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:09 AM UTC
Well Gunnie, you are the "leader" for this campaign, what to do about starting building? 3 Months wait might get gennady all foamy in the mouth... :-) :-)

I also think it is great you are doing the LARS...I had thought to do that as well, will have to see if I get the "inspiration".

Remember, we did all agree that SOME things would be good, like a Panzer I with a TOW firing outfit...make it look like a museum piece hastily put in working order and upgunned. I know in the books they still listed M10's, M36's, and M4A3 shermans...and some others.

And my books are in good shape...no purple cammo that I remember...which pic are you speaking of Gunnie? I know that some of the color plates color's tend to vary.

And I would think a Civilian vehicle turned into a "technical" should be allowed...Gunnie?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
I'm with Jacques. I thought one of the points of the TW 2000 deal was to kit bash all kinds of odd stuff...

Shaun
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
Okay - here's my thoughts - inspired by my first dose of coffee this morning:

T2000 Campaign allows any model modification to fit within the genre and setting of the events from the 1997 nuclear exchanges on through the game start date of 1 July 2000.

You can modify a civilian vehicle as you would have in the game to aid your PC's. You can modify a model to fit the vehicles described in the game supplements.

You can imagineer your own - fitting within the rules and game structure - i.e. it is very very unlikely some PC group could or would have ripped off a Tiger Henschel Turret and mated it to a Leopard II chassis. That isn't in the spirit of the T2000 setting. Modeling any one of the Abrams developments and variants - is.

You can model any vehicle that participated in the 1997 nuclear exchanges - like the Soviet strikes against US forces that moved on Warsaw - and the devastating aftermath - like the virtual elimination of the US 2nd Armored Division. You can add makeshift or limited-production NBC equipment and modifications to your modeling subjects to reflect this in 1998, 1999, and forward on to 2000.

You can scratchbuild the hovercraft and point defense laser vehicles as described and illustrated in the game supplements - and perhaps modify them to better fit later service employment.

I'm with you guys with the paint schemes too. I think my book is a little faded - and the brown looks purplish. I think the NATO tri-color is probably the most uninteresting of all schemes available for this Campaign - so have at it - the choice is yours.

Lastly - when to begin!?!

Lets leave the start and stop dates set as they are. For all participants itching to get a start on the radical conversions and modifications - the 4th of July - can be your start date, with these provisions:

No painting, weathering, decaling, or finishing - of any subassemblies. You can build them, make sure they fit together, but cannot go past the construction phase. No 100% completed models! I'm tempted to handicap early-starters into having them submit more than one model into the Campaign! Tell you how I feel after this cup of coffee...

All participants taking advantage of the early start must keep their own photo Journal - we won't get the official Campaign Journal until the posted start date. However, posting progress in this thread of subassemblies and plans is highly encouraged and recommended - and will be considered meeting the photo Journal requirement.

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
okay Gunnie, thanks for pointing out the specifics...now, don't be too hard on all the others who want to start early...I have alrady shown that I will probably do more than 1 kit, but that is no need to punish the others...as long as they don't start painting either!

I think I can live with getting the turret and hull mated up , getting the major parts built up, and then going onto the next kit until Oktober1. Who knows what I will have set up to paint by then... Maybe I should take a balanced approach, make a NATO kit, thena WARSAW PACT kit, etc...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
I've got some "started" inaccurate kits I want to use......(they've been painted) i'm goona romove the paint. so can I start to convert those?
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC
I am going to do a Canadian Leopard C1. I will be waiting for the Russkies when they come across the Bering Strait and attack Alaska with my American friends.

HastyP
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
July 4? That's today over here. Hmmm... should I or should I not, should I or should I not, should I or should I not, should I or should I not...

Nope, not going to take advantage with the early start date, foamy mouth and all hehehehe. I still have got my Barbarossa campaign going (rather in spurts than thrusts... hmmm that didn't sound right also) with my Wild Soviet Surprise.

Jacques: stick to Soviet. Hehehehe We need to BREAK THEM! hehehehe

HastyP: I'll just nuke your forces from orbit then
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
Ohhhhh Boy! All I got to do is fininsh my CWC entry (sloooowly it goes) and then start on my T2000 work. A technical is in the works but will take a LOT of work to get to a reasonably accurate vehicle.

I have but one more question-

Are Dioramas allowed?? ( I have a mental image that I think would like to translate to "reality" and provide a setting for 2 vehicles)

Jim/ Jaster

And to All A HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

Jim/ Jaster
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 04:39 AM UTC
whew, was starting to think this idea was swept under the rug and forgotten, just recieved the first part of my set up a TPz 1 "Fuchs" hopefully the rest of the package will show up this week sometime, but Im definately gonna wait for the start date, probably gonna regret those words a week from now...but I have a WWI aircraft group build comin up soon, and besides whats the point of having a start date, if you can start before that date. but I fully agree, october seems far too long to look at this kit and not touch.

Bender
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
Bender...

I know what ya meaan aboout starting BEFORE the start date, kinda negates the concept of a start date. I think that the amount of work people have talked about doing is pretty large on this Campaign so a bit of a pre-start is in order. Look at it like the pre-race warm-up, qualifying, tuning, etc. BEFORE the race actually starts.

Perhaps some campaigns need a longer timeframe? 3 months for some, 4-6 for others??

Jim/ Jaster
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 12:16 AM UTC
I just cannah' wait! Leaving behind my entry for the Barbarossa Campaign, I just had to do the M1A3's gun. So... did just that this afternoon, having made a new scratchbuilt mantlet and fitted the gun to the mantlet. I'll post the pix of it soon.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi

For those still wandering what to build, have a look at the links below. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

General Dynamics Land Systems
http://www.gdls.com/

A fantastic site, containing a list of vehicles that were planned or built to prototype level only, by a very long list of countries.
http://www.pmulcahy.com/misc_pages/truth_and_fiction.html

kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC
Great this gives me time to try out some ideas for building a LAV-75...or at least try to build a reasonable facsimile of one.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got some "started" inaccurate kits I want to use......(they've been painted) i'm goona romove the paint. so can I start to convert those?

Yes - you can strip - but no repainting yet!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ohhhhh Boy! All I got to do is fininsh my CWC entry (sloooowly it goes) and then start on my T2000 work. A technical is in the works but will take a LOT of work to get to a reasonably accurate vehicle.

I have but one more question-

Are Dioramas allowed?? ( I have a mental image that I think would like to translate to "reality" and provide a setting for 2 vehicles)

Jim/ Jaster

And to All A HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

Jim/ Jaster

Yes - Dioramas would be welcome!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...but first CWCO and Barbarossa...then Tank Destroyer?...what did I miss? Yeech, calendar's getting too full.

Yeah - it is isn't it!?! I took the weekend off from the Internet totally so that I could work on something else. I actually got through a backdate of AFV Club's M35A2 to the original M35 gasoline powered REO truck. The only thing I couldn't finish in the three days was the engine itself. I'm modeling the M4 LaCrosse on M398 Launcher and decided to open up the hood this time around. Recent scratchbuilding projects here on site got me back into the mindset to return to my roots. Since I'll be away on a business trip three days this week, I hope to take some plastic with me and whittle away a engine to drop into my model's engine compartment.

It was refreshing to breakaway (briefly) from the Campaign Mode...

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Traitor!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Traitor!

Hardly. I need to rekindle the fires to build more than one every so often!

Gunnie
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:27 PM UTC

As promised, here's the pix (un-resized pic, that is) of the 155mm gun for the M1A3.

Pretty big isn't it? Wait till you guys see the comparison shot of a regular M1 turret and the A3 turret!
 _GOTOTOP