_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Revolving amber flashing convoy light ?
Wimpy27
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 04:40 AM UTC
I'm working on an M151A2 to look like one I drove occasionally in FRG in the 70's and they all had flashing amber "bubblegum machine" lights (like the old blue police lights) mounted along side and above the windshield for convoy duty. Does anyone make a 1/35 light like this or is there another vehicle model that I could use to get one? The only thing I've thought of is trying to vacuform one. I'd like to find a clear one but I'll use whatever I can find. Hopefully there is an aftermarket one somewhere available.

Thanks
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC
hello!

how about this from Accurate Armour?

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=4&subcategory=105&product=2011

maybe someone knows the distributor in the US,or why not order direct?

hope this helps!
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
AA's minimum shipping charge is an excellent reason for not ordering direct.

They're nice lights, but best ordered along with something else to make the product/shipping ratio a little more palatable.

Al
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
My suggestion is find a 1/32 kit that has emergency lights, Aoshima does a lot, I think there are others as well. Also some diecast in 1/32 or 1/35 might be the answer. I also thought Academy did a convoy type Mutt with a light? Were they the rounded globe type or the cylinder type? If they were cylinders, maybe you could scratch it. HTH. I bet there are after market sets too, I think there was a post on Kitmaker a while back on this.
Wimpy27
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
Accurate Armour's beacons are perfect but with shipping-- $86.91!!!!! That works out to $4.35 apiece (20 to a package). It's too bad that I only need two, one for the M151A2 and one for a M578. I'll have to look at a few more things that I need and see if A-A carries them. Wow, $74.25 MINIMUM shipping to the US. Also found that Mission Models also gets them from Accurate Armour and sells them for $14.99 apiece. I need the two and the cost with shipping is ~$39.00 but I need to pre order them. Better than $90.00!

Thanks for all the help!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC
I've orderd small stuff from them in the past and never been hit with the maximum shipping charges!!! if it'll fit in an envelope the shipping from them is pretty reasonable.

there are places that stock them in the US [http://www.rjproducts.com/]R & J[/url] is one of them....
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
OK, definitely something weird going on here, and it looks like it might have been recognized by AA.

The basic beacon lenses are £7.65. Shipping to the US is £8.00. It's a lot relative to the cost of the item, but a lot less than $86 :-)

The beacon lenses with bases (which I imagine is what you want) are the same price but currently don't have a button allowing you to addd them to your basket. Maybe their system stores the weight of each item and had a grossly wrong value for this.

So it looks like you can order the basic lenses for £16.00 or so (about $26 including shipping) but at the moment you can't order the beacons with bases at all. Total order price should be the same when the beacons'n'bases become available again.

I suspect either somebody here has mailed Derek at AA about it, or Derek at AA has seen it himself.

As an alternative, I vaguely remember Real Models doing a set of something like these too.

Al
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Italeri includes beacon lights in their M923 and M925 kits and their HEMTT kits. Academy also includes them in their HMMWV kits and M113 kits as well. Sounds like much cheaper options than AM ones to me.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
I can part with two of the twenty in the pack I've got. Send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Paul
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
You can also get a pack of amber LEDs from Radio Shack or the likes for $1.99 and add a piece of plastic rod for the pole.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 01:29 PM UTC
Try contacting AA directly and explain your problem, they might be flexible with the P&P costs..
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can also get a pack of amber LEDs from Radio Shack or the likes for $1.99 and add a piece of plastic rod for the pole.

That is a sweet idea...ill have to check that out! I guess they come in a large enough size?

BTW Karl, the ones in the academy M113 kits are clear plastic...Also I think the Italeri "modern accessory set" comes with dome lights (but they are solid plastic)

andy
Wimpy27
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for all the leads on finding some. Paul Truhe helped me out and I owe him. Seems that part of the price is me having to crawl up into my hot, hot attic to dig out M113 pic's that I took in the 70's in FRG. Oh, well, I needed to get up there anyway to get motor pool pic's of Sheridan packs being pulled to scratch one out and the motor compartment. Thanks again Paul!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
The RAWLS* weren't really a standard size, so just about any size of amber LED or clear orange plastic (do clear plastic toothbrushes come in this shade?) would work. Towards the end of the 80s, the large plastic bubble was replaced with a smaller glass LED strobe light, about the size of a small coffee can, but half as tall. That one didn't rotate, the strobe just flashed very brightly.

Verlinden made a resin set of "Flashlights and Antenna Mounts".

*RAWLS=Rotating Amber Warning Light System
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 10:47 AM UTC
if the leds dont work just sand down some clear sprue .
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC
Here's a thought:

Accurate Armour sells at a lot of model shows around the UK. I go to a few myself. I could pick up a packet of beacons for £8 and post them anywhere in the world for a maximum of roughly £2 more. They're very light and small so they'll go at standard letter rates. I can't guarantee when I'll next be in the vicinty of an AA stall, but is anyone interested in this in principle?
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
The new AFV Club Stryker M1134 ATGM comes with a really nice light like your describing.
 _GOTOTOP