_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US M3A1 Scout Car
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
This is the second time I have attempted Revell's 1/35 M3A1 Scout Car. Thanks Frank, hope it makes you proud! Wondering if I should add a litte more foliage and enter into a competition or just wait till I can afford the Patton+Gun Truck Crew and make it into a diorama. Base is masonry stone and paint. I have about 1 hundred of them. So, I can make it a piece by piece dio. This seems to cut down on the build time and makes for an easy fit.
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/323152
sorry bout the quality. Guess it is time for me to start looking for a new camera.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi Matt

Working link for you:

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/323152

Al
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanks Al
Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
Why is the Rear Armor plate horizontal in the Pics?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 12:06 PM UTC
the rear armor is a hinged piece for loading and unloading. It may not be the same for a gun truck, however I was working off of a few pics of an actual M3.
Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hinged? not on any of the real ones I've seen in Museums and at Reenactments. This is a close up from Toadmans

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m302s.jpg
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
New piece of information to me as well.

Not seen it with a hinged down rear section. Can you post the pictures of the M3 you speak of please.

Alan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
Sorry, will correct. The directions allow for it to be down.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, will correct. The directions allow for it to be down.

Hmmm...I've got the Zvezda boxing of the very same kit and the instruction sheet doesn't show that.

So what happened to the.........

" It may not be the same for a gun truck, however I was working off of a few pics of an actual M3"

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
A: this is a Revell kit B: I can assume that there were mechanics who saw some action and could/would modify the scout car for ease of loading and unloading. C: I think it adds some depth to war, that our soldiers made modifications as they saw fit and used whatever they could find.
D: I like the look of the armored plate as a hinged version. So, if you don't like it, build your own.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A: this is a Revell kit B: I can assume that there were mechanics who saw some action and could/would modify the scout car for ease of loading and unloading. C: I think it adds some depth to war, that our soldiers made modifications as they saw fit and used whatever they could find.
D: I like the look of the armored plate as a hinged version. So, if you don't like it, build your own.

A) The Revell kit and the Zvezda kit are one and the same ( apart from decals and canvas roof options). This kit is a re-box of the Italeri kit, the moulds were purchased in the 70's. Originally Peerless, then Peerless Max, then Tomy, then Airfix, Then Italeri!

I own all three versions and the instructions don't allow for it to be hinged. And we still haven't seen the photos....I don't think anyone wants to hurt your feelings, they were just trying to be helpful in what looks like a case of "artistic license". Although I should mention the T5E1 mortar carrier version had a rear door similar to the M3 halftrack.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
Moderators can remove or edit this post if necessary or needed. matt, the m3a1 in the revell boxing is from the same mold as the zvezda. Guys please dont feed the troll, ive been looking through a couple of his posts and seen his inflamitory comments. Matt nethery has caused Alot of trouble on the Fsm forums, he got pretty touchy when people were correcting him on the use of m3 stuarts in normandy. thats all that ill say...Im pretty sure you guys dont want it to happen here either. This isnt a personal attack its something that people should know.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
werent M3 stewarts the Vehicles that transported all the shermans to the beaches?
not to forget the vehicle that single handedly fought hitler and the legion of doom in the closing days of the war, and wasnt the M3 stewart the same vehicle that Douglas Bader flew in the Battle of britan? and the Same vehicle that secured england the ashes after 1000 years of cricket humiliation?
come to think of it, My Dad Drives a M3 Stewart to work!!

lol, i just realised i spelt stuart wrong, many many times
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC
James i almost fell off my chair reading that one LOL
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:21 PM UTC
To all of you. My best source for WW2 are both of my grandfathers and my father. One of my grandfathers was a M1A2 Howitzer battery commander, the other served aboard the USS Brown. My father served six years in the military. I do know that M3A1 Stuarts were present at Normandy, we threw everything we had against the Nazis. I also know that troops in the field used anything they could find and routinely made modifications to weapons and vehicles. Now, if one of the moderators would like to shut down this thread, feel free. I am not arguing any of my statements, but you won't find any field mods in a museum. Museums have non-commissioned vehicles, for the most part.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC
Explain Cobra king the m4a3e2 being restored, and the little field panther?
BSHEVLIN
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 08:32 PM UTC
the back plate definitely doesn't fold down, i own a real fully restored one of these.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 11:28 PM UTC
Matt

At the outset of this thread nobody had any intention to have a go at you. When you displayed your model for comment one member inquired as to why you'd chosen to fix the rear body section in a horizontal position rather than correctly fitting to the two sides of the body you quoted that this was done and I quote "the rear armor is a hinged piece for loading and unloading. It may not be the same for a gun truck, however I was working off of a few pics of an actual M3."

As none of us had seen such a thing we requested as interested parties to see these images, which to date you haven't been forthcoming with or mentioned again. Instead you came up with the statement Quote "The directions allow for it to be down." which members with the same kit have quite clearly stated it does not.

I don't know what you call that in Alabama but I know what we call it here in the UK.

These forums are full of people with a huge amount of knowledge and experience, willing to give it freely to there fellow modellers. If you wish to avail yourself of this wonderful "database" you can easily do so. Alternatively, if you wish to take a different attitude you'll quickly find yourself sidelined and ignored.

Personally I've always found members overflowing with generosity in imparting knowledge, advice and experience. All for the price of a little bit of honesty, civility and a simple thank you.

Alan
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
hope i didnt "annoy" anyone, i was just being silly.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC
Sorry, if I ruffled any skirts. The point of the matter is, I am an artist and used perogative in modeling the M3 Scout Car. I have many, many links in my favorites and do not feel like sorting through them. Bygones being bygones, this is how I chose to build the model. Just because nobody has seen it, doesn't mean it never existed.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
Clearly never come across the expression "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging !!"
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just because nobody has seen it, doesn't mean it never existed.

If a tree falls in a forest....
im sorry but on topic, I beleive these guys here, You may have seen the mortar carrier, you may well have mistaken this for that, in the end what does it matter. i make a mistake, you make a mistake whatever. a mistake is a mistake, i make mistakes all the time. wrong colour here, wrong part there. if you really HAVE got this information, i would like to see it,
it would be interesting. and if you havent got time to flick through your favorites for me, damnit i havent got time for this.

Im gonna man up and say that posting in this thread was a mistake.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just because nobody has seen it, doesn't mean it never existed.

If a tree falls in a forest....
im sorry but on topic, I beleive these guys here, You may have seen the mortar carrier, you may well have mistaken this for that, in the end what does it matter. i make a mistake, you make a mistake whatever. a mistake is a mistake, i make mistakes all the time. wrong colour here, wrong part there. if you really HAVE got this information, i would like to see it,
it would be interesting. and if you havent got time to flick through your favorites for me, damnit i havent got time for this.

Im gonna man up and say that posting in this thread was a mistake.

That's nice. I think I will go with the veterans of WW2, myself. And I am sorry, I don't deal with anal retentive people myself. So, here's my request for the admin to close this thread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
I fully repect WWII veterans, all veterans for that matter, but, unfortunately it has been a long time since WWII and they were probably a little too busy to take note of vehicle types and versions in certain places, time frame, etc. They are not always the best referances to use. Most have forgotten more than they ever knew about the minutia of vehicle types, etc.

If you want to just do whatever you want, don't be upset when someone calls you on it. If you can't handle a little criticism and are not prepared to defend your builds, don't bother posting on open forums.
 _GOTOTOP