Matchbox Campaign Proposal
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi all!

The momentum is beginning to move towards a Matchbox Campaign (OOB) to recreate those great days of easy build kits complete with base.

So here is a thread to nominate interest in such a campaign!

If there is enough interest then the campaign can be organised. (Not sure how that is done though).

Some teasers....

Over to you....

casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
You woke up my interest, Michael. Any ideas about timetable? I would rather start next year, therefore I might have changes to finish my two ongoing campaigns....
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Not sure about timing as it would depend on what the majority would like and if there is a good amount of interest as well.

I have no idea how to run a campaign on Armorama, though I have moderated many group builds on ARC.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
I'm in! We're just in the process of putting our place on the market so New Year (if we've moved by then) would be good for me...

A
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
I would be interested in a Matchbox campaign, will re-boxed Revell versions be allowed too?
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC
Ah, brings back some old memories! I'm in for the fun of it. If I can fit it in timewise. Strictly OOB or will small additions be ok?

Cheerio!
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC
this I feel is an excellent idea and hopefully should be well supported as the kits are cheap and I believe are readily available. I'm in as these models are what my Grandfather used to get me interested in modelling.

cheers

Keith
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
As a somewhat co-conspirator of a Matchbox campaign idea, I'd be remiss if I didn't enthusiastically volunteer. Reading the postings we have a tentative commitment of eight people at this early stage.

sabredog
tornado64
casualmodeler
Andronicus
Sabot
Dangeroo
docdios
tread_geek

I'll have to look it up but I believe a minimal of ten (10) are required before you can submit a campaign for approval. I also believe that the proposal may have to be posted in the Campaign forums area.

Either original Matchbox or Revell re-releases should be eligible. IMHO, the builds should be mostly OOB but it should be permissible to allow minor embellishments such as but not limited to:
-clear plastic for windows or windscreens
-small additions to bases such as grass, dirt, rocks etc.
-addition of antennas or 'minor" storage items
-perhaps minor corrections as in scaling down machinegun barrels
-decal options at builders discretion Edit ------ Meant to add this one but forgot until Max's post reminded me.

What say ye?

matchbox_tread_geek

Maxiplus
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
I would like to participate too, of course. Currently I have four Matchbox-Kits in the making with another eleven to go anyway

I also suggest that at least minor improvements should be allowed, if the shortcomings of the original kit are too obvious. The cast-on headlights on the hull of the A34-Comet or the out-of-scale rear mirrors of the M-19 come to mind. I myself try to keep it as OOB as possible, but sometimes you have to make a compromise for the model not to look stupid and toylike. Also Iīd like to include Revell re-boxes since they are much easier to come by, even if they sometimes include different decal options than the Matchbox ones. I would even like to extend the rules to allow the use of customized decals for a greater variety of options.
Tread_geekīs rules seem very agreeable to me.

Also: Nice work on your teaser models, OP!
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
My LHS has no single Matchbox kits on their shelfs, so Iīd have to settle with Revell re-release. Just donīt have a clue, which Revell kit was previously a Matchbox kit...
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My LHS has no single Matchbox kits on their shelfs, so Iīd have to settle with Revell re-release. Just donīt have a clue, which Revell kit was previously a Matchbox kit...

there is a matchbox site on line that has complete details of every matchbox kit i will have a look and post a link
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
this will help identify which of the revell kits are matchbox re releases

www.matchboxkits.org
Maxiplus
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
Thatīs easy: Those labeled with a scale of 1:76 are Matchbox reboxes, those with 1:72 arenīt.
There also have been a couple of combo-sets with additional figure sprues wrongly labeled 1:72, I only know of the PzIII and the Sdkfz11 with Pak40.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a somewhat co-conspirator of a Matchbox campaign idea, I'd be remiss if I didn't enthusiastically volunteer. Reading the postings we have a tentative commitment of eight people at this early stage.

sabredog
tornado64
casualmodeler
Andronicus
Sabot
Dangeroo
docdios
tread_geek

I'll have to look it up but I believe a minimal of ten (10) are required before you can submit a campaign for approval. I also believe that the proposal may have to be posted in the Campaign forums area.

Either original Matchbox or Revell re-releases should be eligible. IMHO, the builds should be mostly OOB but it should be permissible to allow minor embellishments such as but not limited to:
-decal options at builders discretion Edit ------ Meant to add this one but forgot until Max's post reminded me.

What say ye?

matchbox_tread_geek

All sounds excellent to me. Perhaps making the campaign start early in the new year?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What say ye?

That sounds just about right. It'll be my first kit since I was a kid (!) so it doesn't sound too daunting that way...

Best

A
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 06:31 AM UTC
Okay people, we now have nine that have expressed interest in this campaign. We are one short (but more would be better) of submitting an official request. Those that expressed interest so far are:

sabredog
tornado64
casualmodeler
Andronicus
Sabot
Dangeroo
docdios
tread_geek
Maxiplus

If I have missed anyone, please post in this thread to be counted.

As far as eligible Revell kits, here's a quick summary of kit number and name:

Revell Re-Release Matchbox Kits

03211 Sherman Firefly
03212 T-34/76 1940
03213 M24 Chaffee
03214 Sd. Kfz. 234/2 Puma
03215 Sd. Kfz. 124 Wespe
03216 M7 Priest
03217 M40 155mm SPG
03218 Krupp Protze & 3,7 cm Pak
03219 Morris Truck & 17 pdr. & Jeep
03220 Char B.1 & Renault Ft.17
03221 Churchill A.V.R.E
03222 A-34 Comet Mk.1
03223 Humber Mk.II
03224 M3A1 Honey
03225 L.R.D.G. 30cwt Chevrolet & Jeep
03226 M19 Tank Transporter
03227 Monty's Caravan and Scout Car
03228 M16 Halftrack
03229 PzKpfw II Auf. F
03230 Jagdpanzer Iv L/70
03231 SD.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. B
03232 Sd, Kfz. 183 Jagdpanther

One further note, Matchbox released a 1/72 M1 Abrams kit PK179 and it also released four other 1/72 kits (Pk180 - Pk 183). The last four kits are identical to Revell kits 3101-3104 and some were even co-released under the Monogram USA label. You can find this information along with box art at the excellent Henk of Holland Site. The Matchbox re-release kits start about two thirds of the way down the page.

I have two of the kit PK183 in my stash.

Should these co-release kits qualify for the campaign?

Cheers,
tread_geek
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
I just read the Campaign rules and we definitely need ten plus people to be ready to sign up. Based on input here I took the liberty of compiling the pertinent information. How about a time frame for the campaign to run from Jan. 15/10 to May 15/10? Here's the rough draft.

Operational Overview

Jan. 15/10-May 15/10

More than anything this campaign is a nostalgic group build centring on the armour kits of the former Matchbox manufacturer. Many modellers remember these kits from their past with affection and this campaign is a chance to relive part of that history. Your mission is to complete a build of either an original Matchbox kit or the Revell re-release of it.

Rules and Regs

1. Either an original Matchbox kit or a Revell re-release of a former Matchbox kit are permissible. If in doubt, please ask in the appropriate forum.

2. Out of box (OOB) builds are encouraged. Deviations from OOB builds should be limited and represent minimal variation from the original.

3. The original bases for these kits must appear with the completed model. Minor embellishments of the bases such as foliage, minor additional terrain features, grasses or soil/dirt are permissible.

4. The modeller is permitted to make minor corrections or additions to enhance the model. These can include but are not limited to clear windshields/windows, antennas, resizing of small oversized pieces (ie-machinegun barrels, grab handles) and external stowage. If in doubt, ask.

5. Use of original decals is encouraged but not mandatory.

6. Enjoy this blast from the past and above all HAVE FUN.

Comments or suggestions?

Cheers,
tread_geek
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
I should be able to do something for this one.. Perhaps the Diamond T tractor

Count me in
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Richard, thank you very much for your vote. I'd love to see this kit as it didn't seem to make it to my local stores. Those that expressed interest are currently:

1. sabredog
2. tornado64
3. casualmodeler
4. Andronicus
5. Sabot
6. Dangeroo
7. docdios
8 . tread_geek
9. Maxiplus
10.Snowhand

That is the ten necessary people for a submission. Anyone else? Come on people, this opportunity shouldn't pass you by! We'll give this a bit of time for others to enlist or respond. We thank you for your interest and responses.

Thanks,
Jan
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 08:31 PM UTC
Can I???
I can't miss something like this...
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
is it possible to add the re-issued Airfix kits as well?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Should these co-release kits qualify for the campaign?

Cheers,
tread_geek

I'd say no, just because these were Revell of Germany originated kits just using the well known small scale brand name "Matchbox" which they acquired. I believe all true Matchbox kits were 1/76 scale and came with a small diorama base. These Revell kits released using the Matchbox name don't really fit the spirit of the campaign, remembering Matchbox kits.

Some of the other Revell combo packs were the Comet (03162) and the Stuart (03151). I know the M7 Priest, M16 quad halftrack and a few more were released by Revell as well. I used to have a fairly comprehensive listing of the Matchbox-Revell kits, but recently got a new computer and have not transferred the data to this one.

The last true 1/76 scale Matchbox kit was PK-178 British Challenger. The very next kit, PK-179 M1 Abrams was the first of the Revell Germany (even box says so) and done in 1/72.

Some of the kits I have on hand are:

• PK-73 Panther G
  • PK-74 PzKpfw III Ausf. L
  • PK-75 Humber Mk II
  • PK-76 Sd,Kfz 234/2 Puma
  • PK-77 Sd.Kfz 124 Wespe
  • PK-78 M16 Halftrack
  • PK-79 M24 Chaffee
  • PK-82 T-34/76
  • PK-84 M3/M3A1 Stuart Honey
  • PK-85 Sd.Kfz 232 Radio Car
  • PK-86 M40 GMC
  • PK-87 Jadgpanzer IV L/70
  • PK-88 Krupp Protz Kfz. 69
  • PK-89 M7 Priest HMC
  • PK-173 LRDG 30cwt Chevorlet & Willys Jeep
  • PK-174 M19 Tank Transporter
  • PK-175 Monty's Carava
  • PK-177 Churchill AVRE
  • PK-178 Challenger MBT
Maxiplus
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
IMHO it would be nice if we could just stick just to the "classic" Matchbox 1/76 kits which include those neat little diorama bases (and their Revell re-boxes of course). Those bases are their unique trademark and the most interesting feature to me. Thereīs a total of 27 different kits available in this series, so there should be something for everyone.
AFAIK the mentioned 1/72 kits donīt include diorama bases and are just reboxes with a Matchbox label, I donīt think they should qualify as they somehow "miss the point" of this campaign. The same goes for the Airfix kits - although I think they maybe could deserve a campaign of their own in the future - or a campaign about really, really old and bad kits .

However, thatīs just my opinion and my suggestions. Iīm okay with whatever will be accepted as the final rules, I donīt want to discourage anyone
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is it possible to add the re-issued Airfix kits as well?

I was thinking along that line too, but I think we should follow this here campaign up with an Airfix Campaign... How about it?

Cheerio!
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 05:23 AM UTC
I was checking a finnish internet auction side today, very much same like eBay is, and found only two original Matchbox kits from late 70īs. If the future decision is ,that this campaign is only for original Matchbox kits, Iīm in BIG hurry to buy one. Sale ends 10/9...
 _GOTOTOP