_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
what is under Stug/PZ III 'cold start' cover?
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
I am modelling a 1/35 Stug III (Ausf B-Tam kit) and have a not too clear reference pic of the rear of an early (short barrel) stug with the cover open over the port used to cold start the AFV with a crank.
It's on the rear glacis plate and has angled edges (part D23 on Tamiya kit) if you're not sure which bit i'm on about.
On my kit the area is simply moulded flat underneath, but I thought it might be a point of interest to model the port open as in the reference pic. However, my references fail to show what the area under the cover looks like (I have a pic of two crew cold starting a Stug Ausf E but ine of them is in the way!) and i'm hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I'd appreciate any info and help you may be able to offer from any of the Stug or Pzkpfw III range.

Many thanks,

James
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 10:47 AM UTC
It’s been 10 years since I posted this query, but I’m still interested if anyone can help!?

Cheers,

James
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC
Image for reference only. This is the rear of the PZ III F in the Saumur Museum.

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 02:22 PM UTC
There is a better view here:

http://www.freedomchester.nl/portfolio_page/panzer-iii-ausf-f-saumur/

Scroll down to the pics of the rear of the tank.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 12:50 AM UTC
Apparently the starter motor on the restored Pz.III at the Patton was not up to the task and the engine had to be crank started.

Here a pair of brave Volunteers with the Patton Museum are doing the deed on the Ft. Knox Museum's (now Benning's) OPERATIONAL Panzer III.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 01:02 AM UTC
I stand corrected.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 02:26 PM UTC
Early PZ III and Stug III had an electric starter. One source states that on the Stug IIIB the hand crank turned the fly wheel, but I did not see anything showing that connection. Perhaps some one with more information can elaborate.

A sweet video of a Stug III F starting up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7fiVdKeXo

I found a lot of reference on the hand crank starter after googling Mayback HL120 starter. There are a few pictures of the hand crank part that is attached to the rear plate.
 _GOTOTOP