Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
1/48 Scale
wilbhi2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 03:17 AM UTC

Bud: Am I assuming correctly, that these will go in a dio?

ooooo...hadn't really thunk that far ahead. But will think it now.

alvaro_rm
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi all:

It´s my double pleasure to join the 1/48th scale campaing because it´s both my first time here on Armorama and my first 1/48th scale kit as well!

Here you got my choice:

An OOTB quick to build kit project to practice and improve my painting skills mainly.

I´m sure I´m going to have a good and fun time here with all of you! Keep those models comming!

Best regards!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 04:50 AM UTC
@Bud - definitely should do a little dio

@Stefan - I'm figuring this out as I go, but I was thinking along the lines of a cut down road sign hidden behind a wall (or cut down Tree or bushes) next to a German with a MG, panzerfaust, grenades [in front of the wall is the Jeep]. The opening scene of the movie, "Hart's War" basically.

@Chris - don't sand the primered metal hull. Use Superglue for the parts that attach to it, and Tamiya thin cement (brush applicator inside) for plastic parts. Here's a pic of the glues I use - the purple superglue allows you time to position the parts before it sets. The Loc-tite type is good for a fast setting of parts. These glues worked for me with all the resin and PE parts that went into this 1/48 D-Toys conversion. HTH

@Alvaro - you'll love that humvee!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Wow, that's a good looking Humvee!

What conversion kit(s) would you Humvee fans recommend most for the 1/48 Tamiya kits?
domingohm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi, It's a pleassure for me to enlist to this campaign. I visit this site very often and I must to say this is exciting for me.

This is my subject:

I hope to post some starting biuld process soon.

Thanks and see you soon.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 11:54 AM UTC
Looks like a great choice Domingo! I too am excited about this campaign.

Here is my unstarted build. I am still waiting on the AM barrel to arrive...

tskross
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC

here is my entry, I hope I can finish it on time! I wanted to go as overboard as possible with the AM stuff, so I got fruils (a first for me), aber mg and main gun barrel, aber kisten, eduard PE, and a few other do-dads...I'm hoping to portray an abandoned (or out of gas) panther in the Ardennes.
Wish me luck!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 04:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

here is my entry, I hope I can finish it on time! I wanted to go as overboard as possible with the AM stuff, so I got fruils (a first for me), aber mg and main gun barrel, aber kisten, eduard PE, and a few other do-dads...I'm hoping to portray an abandoned (or out of gas) panther in the Ardennes.
Wish me luck!

Check this out, good motivational material. 1st SS LAH Panther G late in Ardennes
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 08:09 PM UTC
Chris: Nice to see a Cromwell in the bunch. I heard there are some fit issues with the kit, might want to check out http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/tamiya/tam32528.htm" TARGET="_blank"> this review on PMMS.
As for the metal hull... It's a riddle to me. I use super glue to attach the plastic directly on the grey primer.

Alvaro: Good of you to join up! Looking forward to it! Improving one's skills is one of the major goals of campaigns.

Domingo: Welcome to the Campaign! Don't forget to sign up! Edit: I see you already have signed up... My bad...

Jeremy: I see you joined the axis side of the Campaign... How did you get the parts out of the box without breaking the plastic wrapper?

tskross: After what you did to that M10 I'm really looking forward to your Panther!

Keep it up everyone!
Cheers
Stefan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Stefan: That little Hetzer is just sitting there begging me to build it
As for the box, I just run a blade around the bottom and remove the plastic from there. I keep the lid covered in the plastic because I like to protect the box from things that end up sitting on top of it. Kinda silly I know, but I find a well preserved piece of box art to be motivational during the build, or to keep me interested down the road. Ripped up boxes are just kinda depressing.
tskross
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the link! I don't think I'm going to be getting into quite that much detail though...I'd never finish that!! I do wish that there was an aftermarket hull bottom available, I really hate these cast iron things, I'd love to be able to do an articulated suspension, but cutting up the supplied hull just seems like a nightmare...

Anyways I've got one of those little hetzers going as well ( my hetzer ) and it is a beautiful little build (I used the hauler etch, this panther will be my first go wih eduard) I'm curious to see how yours comes out!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
I think your build will come out great regardless of how far you go with it.

Maybe I should have ordered the Hauler set, but I think I'll like the Eduard set. It'll be nice to compare the two with your and my Hetzer builds. The Eduard set actually comes with replacement fenders, which I don't think I'm going to use. I am thinking of building the Hauler STARR conversion sometime as well.

I also checked out your M10 build, and it's awesome. I've been wondering if it is worth tackling, and you've clearly shown me it is.

I agree with the lack of detail in the Tamiya 1/48 lower hulls, but I do enjoy the weight they add. It would be nice if Tank Workshop would create one soon to go along with the 1/48 Sherman line they have.
NWBrit
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hello again,

Greg - Many thanks for the advice, I've been using Loctite superglue but was a bit concerned by how fast it sets. From what you say it will be fine for the running gear, but I'm going to need a few more seconds to get the hul plates right. So I will figure out where to get some that gives me a bit more time.

Stefan - That review was just what I needed, thanks for that. I was dry fitting the front hull pieces and wondering if I was fitting the pieces wrong all of yesterday ! Looks like I will have one at the back to think about too. Still at least I have a bit of warning and a possible solution now. Many thanks.

Chris
Fritz_57
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
Some more progress to show. I got the base coat of green down. I gave it a wash or burnt umber and didn't like how it looked so I did some touch up. Still not happy, see the left side of the turret. That doesn't look as bad in real life as it does in he pictures. I added a little light grey to the base green and applied it lightly to all the large flat areas. Next, more green touch up then some more burnt umber wash, a light misting with some tan to represent road dust and then see how it looks.

The tank looks grey in these pics. I used MM 2060 which is decidedly green. It might be my monitor, I'm not sure.
Xavier_Ruiz
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC
hi all

this will be my model for the campaign to 1 / 48
The Sd.Kfz. 247 A
transformation of gasoline on base of tamiya Protzen Krupp.

regards Xavier

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi all,Bit of a disaster My Tiger was built and ready to prime when my socket set decided to fall off its shelf.My Tiger looks like its been hit by a grand slam, turret smashed upper deck cracked and half the axles snapped off I will have to get another kit now,just be a bit behind everyone else bummer when your unemployed.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC
Wow ,tough break John,still got plenty of time,I am nowhere near starting mine yet.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 03:46 PM UTC
Aloha All,

A bit of progress here on the Stug III.

Thanks for looking, -zon
Railmen2000
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 04:43 PM UTC

Hi All:
Here is my entry - the fairly new Italeri Autoblinda 43.
The hull is the same as their earlier AB41. The reviews of that kit are absolutely correct - you do need four hands to get all the sides and top to correctly fit together before gluing
Now to work on the turret, as well as fill the gaps with some putty.
Jim
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 06:25 PM UTC
Xavier: That is slick! How often do we get to see one of those in any scale?

John: I had a similar experience with another campaign where my worktable flipped over. I'm still trying to recover the two kits I was working on...
You could take the brave (read frustrating) route and try to piece the darn thing back together.

Anthony: Me either, going to be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the workbench.

Zon: Awesome, looks like we can expect paint to fly soon?

Jim: That is cool! I've just recently been looking at the AM goodies available for those armored cars. I'd like to know what you think of the kit when you're done assembling it mate
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC
Ed: Nice progress. It does look a bit grey, but I'm sure it'll turn out well after washing and maybe filters.

Xavier: Welcome to the campaign! That certainly is an unusual vehicle, I've never heard of armored cars based on the Krupp Protze.

John: That certainly is a disaster. Sorry to hear about it, you were making such nice progress. No way of saving it? No need to hurry, haven't even started mine yet and probably won't before October...

Zon: Nice progress. These things certainly go together like a breeze. What's the idea behind the masking tape?

[b]Jim:[b] Welcome to the Campaign! I was hoping to see one of those Italeri kits in the campaign.

Cheers everyone and keep it coming!
Stefan
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi all, Ive been pondering the wreckage all evening the kit is repairable i guess but some of the tiny parts have been eaten by the garage floor I hovered up and checked the contents but no luck,the most obvious part is the front light.I wont use this kit for the campaign but i will repair it and use it as a wreck in a dio maybe.Think i might go for Tamiyas early Tiger or their Panther G.for the campaign.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 02:19 AM UTC
Me again, picked up Tamiyas initial production Tiger1 in a clearance sale for £11.oo so thats my new entry will post photo's of unopened kit later
cmtlu
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
Alvaro, Domin, Xavi, good to see you here amigos.

Ed, no idea what went wrong but the KV does not look green on my screen too. Any update about its status now?. The KV I am making is white winter wash and I am finishing it at the moment finally.

Zon, the Stug is progressing quickly. I love Stug IIIs

Jeremy, I am with Sam and you will love that turtle.

Sam, Looking forward to seeing what you will make with the Panther.

Jim, the Autoblinda is a bear at first but it can become a very sweet model with little love by your side. On mine I spaced the chassis a bit because the wheels sit too inside the fenders in my opinion. Just check your references and will see what I mean quickly.

John, sorry to hear of the socket dissaster but happy to see you are on the fight with a new kit already.

Lu
Removed by original poster on 09/09/10 - 16:47:15 (GMT).