Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 "Hitman 2-1' Humvee
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
After some initial discussion about issues I was having with a Verlinden PE kit, I deceided I would post up a seperate thread about my "Generation Kill - Hitman 2-1" Humvee (aka - Brad Colbert's Humvee). A big thanks to Roy Kinsella for his inspiring "Generation Kill" humvee and assistance thus far!

Previous topic: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/154046&page=1

I'm currently reading the book while re-watching the HBO series (3rd time). I am going to model my Humvee off the HBO series humvee, for several reasons:

- lots of reference material
- more 'recognizable' as people who've seen the series will be able to easily identify with it

I have the undercarriage done, complete with D-Toys resin wheels/tires and I was just starting on the main chasis, although I'm haulting work on the humvee itself for now until I get the Eduard PE kit as the Verlinden PE kit is a disater and as I found out, not ment for the newer Tamiya M1025 kit.

So now I'm going to get started on the 'bits & bobs' like jerry cans, ammo boxes and doing some custom work on all the ruck sacks that hang off the side of the vehicle (doing some putty work to get the bed rolls nicely formed on top of the rucks as well as doing some lead foil straping).

The kits I'm using to create this uniqe vehicle are:

TAMIYA M 1025 Hummer
Edurads Hummer PE kit
Verlinden HumHummer Weapons Carrier Detail Set (useless)
TAMYIA Modern US Military Equipment Set
Trupeter US Marines Corps Iraq-2003
x2 Verlinden US Modern Soldier Gear
D-Toys Blue Force Tracker Kit
D-Toys HUMVEE Agressive pattern wheels/tires
Dragon M16/AR15 Quatermaster Series set
Legend AT4/LAW kit
x2 Eduard 1/35 Camouflage Netting/Masking US Type II 35672

I have just begun the project after 14 years away from modeling (yikes). My last model was a 1/48 A-10 Warthog.

Here is what I have done so far:

Undercarriage

Wheels:
Not fnished yet as I have a lot of weathering yet to do on them.

Body:
Just started with the main body. The interior is JA green and the exterior is a custom mix light tan.

Mk19:
A combination of the TAMIYA, Verlinden resin and PE. I cut the feed guides and barrel off the TAMYIA Mk19 and added them onto the resin body.

Colbert's M4:
Best I could do with using the Dragon Quatermaster kit to replicate Colbert's M4A1, which is equipped with a AN/PVS-17 night sight and a M203 grenade launcher. Even mannaged to get a little AN/PEQ-2 unit on it as well. Still needs some more work.

Packs:
I adding some putty to get the molding right of having the bed rolls on top of the rucks, plus adding the 'top flap' of the rucks coming over top of the bed rolls and added in strap grooves for some lead foil straps.

That's all so far. I'll keep everyone posted with my progress.

Dave
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC
Looking good so far! love the packs, will have to try that!

I loved the mini series, in fact i'm going to watch it again this weekend!

Might build one of these as well, but will be doing a Special Forces Dumvee first.

Can't wait to see more!
skala72
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC
Super series, the model also probably be so. You do a model from the movie "The Hurt Locker"?
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
Well Dave I'm delighted to see you've started this thread and so soon too, now we can all see your work in progress. Should be interesting as this is such a cool topic!

Thanks so much too for the kind words man, I was quite surprised but dead chuffed!!

Looking at your work already Dave I have no doubt that your going to do an excellent job on this model, your attention to detail is second to none already so I dont think you'll have to worry too much about the extended break you took from modelling.
Great job detailing the underside of the chasis, this is something I wouldnt usually spend that much time on so I'm very impressed indeed!

Great job on Colberts M4 BTW and I like what your doing with the kit-bags!

I'll be following this build very closely my friend, keep up the good work!

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Might build one of these as well, but will be doing a Special Forces Dumvee first.

Your timing is pretty good. Pro Art Models makes a nice GMV conversion, and word is someone else is doing a brand new one very soon. It may even offer some interesting armament options.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC
Ooops, a little impatient today on the trigger....
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC
By this Rob can we hope then that Legends will do a M1113 ECV GMV?
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
UPDATE:

Just a small update. Been working on PE over the past few weeks. Thanks again to everyone who suggested using the Eduards PE kit! What a fantastic PE kit and is really adding a lot to my model.

I now have the majority of all the main components painted (interior & exterior). I will be focusing on working on all the interior details and starting in on the 5 figures. Death will be in the details on this project!!!

Also been working on all the various packs, ammo cans, boxes, MRE boxes, water and fuel containers and getting them ready for paint and detailing.

Here are a few pics. Lots of detail and weathering work yet to be started.

Humvee interior work - Slowly coming along. Added some PE that will probably never even be seen, but I know it's there! Started some detial and weahtering, but have a long way to go yet.

Trunk underside:

Gunners Pedestal:

Doors - PE handles, latches and window components. Since there are no windows in the actual Humvee, I've left the windows out, but kept some of the component details.

RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 09:06 AM UTC
Looking good Dave, Thanks for updating the post!

..BTW check your PM's
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Progress Update:

Chipping away at this project slowly but surely. I now have the base Humvee built up enough that I now need to work on all the figures.

Here are a few shots of the Humvee with my just completed Jerry can rack on the back. I hand made it from brass stock and the base was made from some left over PE mesh. I've never been that good a scratch fabricating stuff but I think it turned out all right. Should look better once it gets some paint and weathering on it. I referenced the racks used in the HBO series, as they were fabricated from tubular stock and the top frame support was sloped downward.

Figures

This is also my first venture into doing customized figures. I'm using a combination of the stock Tamyia 1025 Hummer figures, Verlinden US Modern Soldier Gear (x2) and Trupeter US Marines Corps Iraq-2003 figures.

They wont be 100% accurate but oh well, I'm having fun! I'm most happy about creating custom NVG helmet mounts out of spare/scrap PE!! (see that Verlindin Humvee PE kit finally did come in usefull!).

Ray Person:

For Ray, I'm using the stock Tamyia seated figure as it's legs are slightly 'skinny' to be able to fit in under the steering wheel and I plan on having Ray's door closed, so you wont see too much of him. I have a few ideas to try to fabricate some custom 'Elvis glasses" for him.

Walt Hasser (gunner):

For walt I started with the stock Tamyia standing 'gunner' figure and used a torso from the Trupeter kit and a gas mask bag from the Verlinden kit. Sice Hasser is on the Mk19, he has googles and NVG mounts on his helmet.

Custom Decals:

I bought a Testors Custom decal starter kit that comes with one sheet of clear print on decal paper, decal sealer and software (CD). I wanted to make a screen for teh Blue Force Tracker unit as well as the "BO" on the side doors.

The included software is a frigging joke and totally usless (as I figured it would be), so I used one of my trusty graphics programs, took some measurements and created some decals from scratch. The below pic is just a picture taken of the test print on regular paper - doesn't do it justice as the lines are not as fuzzy as the picture depicts. Again, this is another first for me making custom decals and I'm excited to see how well they work out.

I've purchased some modeling clay that oven hardens to create the cammie netting rolls that go along the top of the Humvee so I will be starting on that soon as well as finshing up the the ammo boxes and jerry cans and getting them ready to paint.

Now I just need to figure out how to paint the dark bronw cammo onto the Hummer!!? I bought some of that Eduards PE US Camo Netting, but it's far too symetrical and I've tried crumpling it up a bit, but it still not producing the correct effect. Any other suggestions?
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
This is so cool! Keep it coming Dave!
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
UPDATE:

Been managing to make some good progress over the past few weeks. Got some key features almost completed.

Vehicle Camo

I tested out several ways of trying to apply the vehicle camo and none turned out right. So i ened up just free handing it with a fine tip on my airbrush. Also got the Air Panel ready for mounting on the hood.

Spare tire & Cover

First off another big thanks to Roy K. for his personal assistance with how to create a 'cover' for the spare. I think my results turend out not too bad for my first time every trying this method out.

Jerry Can Rack

Started to load up the rear rack with some gas and water cans as well as som ammo boxes. Still not finished yet as I need to add some strapping and a few extra items into the rack.

Mk 19

Pretty much have the Mk 19 completed and ready for mounting. It still needs some detail work once mounted (chains). I had to mount the ammo can box horizontally and not vertically as somethings was still wrong and not to scale with the Eduards PE kit. If I put the ammo box in vertically, it wouldn't sit right in the rack(?). When I positioned the ammo box up to the top so the rounds fed into the gun properly, there would be a lot of space under the ammo box and didn't look right; yet everything fit perfectly when I put the ammo box in horizontally. Go figure.

Packs

Packs are nearing completion, but also need a little more work (weathering). I think the putty covers over the bed rolls turned out great.

Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
UPDATE

Finally received my Warpigs washes and pigments the other day so I started in on weathering. I haven't had a lot of experience using washes before and received a few tips from Jeff @ Modelers Warehouse. I'm really enjoying using the Warpigs washes. Easy to use and fast drying times.

Here are a few shots of my progress thus far:

GI_Odie
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
This is one amazing build that I am enjoying the in progress pictures. I also amcoming off a rather long hiatus from building and hope that I can do this quality of work.

Mike
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
Looks great Dave!
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 10:25 AM UTC
Update:

Well I was able to get in a decent amount of modeling time over the long weekend so I jumped in on getting all 5 figures assembled, filled and ready for priming and painting.

HASSER:

I wanted Walt to be "doing something" other than just hanging onto the Mk19. I wanted the turret turned slightly to the right so I have Hasser pointing in that direction as well. He will also have a set of binoculars hanging from his neck.

COLBERT:

I had some good reference photos of Brad so I was able to replicate most of his kit, including adding a sidearm and 40mm pouches. I will add in a helmet radio mic and wires after painting. Brad will be holding his M4/203 in one hand out the window of a partially opened door when done.

TROMBLY:

Trombly went together pretty easily and I have him holding his M249 PARA in a semi relaxed manner. I cut down the barrel of the M249 to "para-ize" it, although the stock is not correct for a Para model. I may look at custom making one in the 'retracted' position.

EVAN WRIGHT:

Evan was the last figure I made up and decided to have him fully in the humvee, looking down at a note pad. I will probably have his door closed as well as if the humvee is getting ready to open fire on targets, he would not be looking to get out!

PERSON:

Ray turned out to be a little difficult as I couldn't figure out what to do with his right arm/hand. His left is on the steering wheel. I opted jsut to have his right hand down by his leg. As an afterthought, I did manage to make a little pair of 'Elvis' sunglasses out of a set of goggles and some PE. Hopefully it will turn out better after painting.

Here are some more pics of how the project is coming together.

The custom decals I made turned out great! I'm very happy with the results. Here is a pic of the "BO" I made for the two front doors:

Made a screen decal for the Blue Force Tracker. It's very hard to see, but if you look REAL close, you can see the faint windsheild decal I made of the radio frequency chart in the lower right hand corner of the windsheild.

Air Panel - The air panel turned out great and I added thread in 6 locations around the panel and then secured each thread under the hood.

Random pis:

I am very happy with how this project is coming together and I'd say that I'm now just over 1/2 way mark and I am on track for July/August completion and in time for the September model show.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
nice work Dave, keep it comming
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 08:12 AM UTC
Awesome work so far! Looks great! One bit of 'criticism' for accuracy's sake. The doors are not correct. USMC Humvees have an exterior piece of armor over the doors, and DO NOT have the "X" stamping. Look at Tamiya's M1046 Humvee kit, or google M1043, M1044, M1045, M1046 USMC Humvees to see what I mean. I even checked the Generation Kill book, and the one decent shot of Hitman 2-1 shows the door, and there's no X. Seriously though, I love all the great work you've done, and hopefully, I've caught you early enough to change it if you want to. Best regards, Rod
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome work so far! Looks great! One bit of 'criticism' for accuracy's sake. The doors are not correct. USMC Humvees have an exterior piece of armor over the doors, and DO NOT have the "X" stamping. Look at Tamiya's M1046 Humvee kit, or google M1043, M1044, M1045, M1046 USMC Humvees to see what I mean. I even checked the Generation Kill book, and the one decent shot of Hitman 2-1 shows the door, and there's no X. Seriously though, I love all the great work you've done, and hopefully, I've caught you early enough to change it if you want to. Best regards, Rod

Oh yeah I was well aware of that 'issue'. I was thinking of puttying over the 'X', but not sure if I'm just going to leave it or not. Thanks and I will check out the M1046 Humvee kit!
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 08:54 AM UTC
Would these be the correct doors then?

Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
Ignore previous post. I will just putty in the doors to smooth them out as looking at reference photos they do not apear to have extra plates just 'added on'.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Great work! The details look superb, this build is really coming along very nicely.

Just sent you a PM about the doors as well.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC
Found this for you. Sorry if I chucked a monkey wrench into your great project!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1043-pics.htm

I've used .010 plastic sheet before to cover the "X".
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Found this for you. Sorry if I chucked a monkey wrench into your great project!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1043-pics.htm

I've used .010 plastic sheet before to cover the "X".

Absolutely not! I appreciate the input and advice!! I was just going to take the lazy route and just go with the doors 'as is', but you've convinced me to put in a bit more effort! Thanks for the info!
Boneman131
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC
Figure Update:

Tromby's M249 Para - I cut down the barrel and scratch built a 'para' stock in place of the standard M249 stock.

So I purchased a rather large chunk of DAS modeling clay at the craft store (smallest one I could find) in order to make the two cammie netting rolls that sit above the doors on each side of the humvee. I got to thinking what else could I do with the clay? So I decided to make MOPP suit hoods for all the characters since they are supposed to be wearing chemical protection MOPP suits. Here are the results:

Evan's hood

Trombly's hood

Hasser's Hood

Now I also wanted to try and recreate Evan Wright's "eBay" body armour as it had a pretty destictive shape to it.

Here is a picture of it from the HBO series:

Here are my results.

Another idea I'm making into reality is I will be adding "sound effects" into the diarama base of this model. I'm using a cheap and very small 1GB MP3 player along with some small, powered speakers I bought off eBay.

I came up with this idea after enjoying the Marine radio chatter that is played at the end of each episode of Gen Kill. This is the actual radio chatter from 1st Marine recon during the 2003 invasion. So I thought "how cool would it be to have the radio chatter playing in conjunction with looking at the model.

I was able to find an MP3 file of all the radio chatter here: http://sites.google.com/site/eagelhwak/generationkill/GenerationKill-radio.mp3

I basically have this looped on the MP3 player. Both the MP3 player and the speakers are rechargeable so I just need to design the base so that it can all be charged, or the components can eaisly come out.

Stay tuned!

_GOTOTOP