_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Deep-Wading with a Staghound (Take 1)...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:03 AM UTC
Since Bronco released their Staghound kits, i've managed to build several of them with a couple more on the bench. One of the versions i've always wanted to build was the (uniquely) Canadian version with the deep-fording gear. Yesterday after many false starts, I got to where I wanted with the mounting although i'v estill got a bit to go with the outlets.

For thiose unfamiliar with the deep-wading gear, here are some images:

Now the basic structure is reasonable straightforward and, as far as I can tell using the plans and photos I have, it's pretty correct. It even fits with a minimum of overlap.

However, the 'Boxes', mounted on either side are TOO big. The lid, although the mesh is correct, the lid is far to thick also. Here are the photos:

Also,still to be added are 5 hinges below the exhausts.

So, i'll be stripping off the boxes and starting again...

Funnily enough, it's a project that took me back to before we had so much excellent AM, but we DID have loads of styrene sheet...

Comments welcome...

UPDATE: I've just noted that there is another section at the bottom of the angled 'box' with bolts on it:

csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Nice work Jim!! I'll follow your build as I have a Staghound in the stash. Cheers!

Do you know what is attached to the LHS muffler in your first picture? Is it some kind of heat exchanger? I've seen this before but have no idea what it is? Not sure if that is "uniquely" Canadian either...

Carmen
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:12 PM UTC
Hi Jim

Great start so far! Here's a pic of my 12th Manitoba's Staghound with a scratchbuilt wading trunk. It's the Bronco kit and I used the old 'Mark 1 Eyeball' technique to build the wading trunk. I think it worked out pretty well. I'm posting this in hopes it will help with your project.

I'll try and take some clearer and more close-up pics tomorrow and post them as well if you think it will help.

cheers!

Bob
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used the old 'Mark 1 Eyeball' technique to build the wading trunk. I think it worked out pretty well.

I does indeed Bob - thanks!

I went a bit more 'technical' - I used a pair of dividers to measure the distance between the tires. If you begin from the seam-line on the tires you get the width of the mount correct. REAL technical

I re-worked the boxes to give them less angle on the slope.

At the same time, I also worked on the stowage baskets and, coincidentally discovered a way to attach the mesh in a painless manner. More to come..

Quoted Text

Do you know what is attached to the LHS muffler in your first picture? Is it some kind of heat exchanger? I've seen this before but have no idea what it is? Not sure if that is "uniquely" Canadian either...

@ Carmen - yes, it certainly looks like it. As to being uniquely canadian, you could well be onto something - thanks!
Removed by original poster on 03/12/10 - 18:40:58 (GMT).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
I've now discovered that this:

Was in fact a water heater... It also seems to have been peculiar to Canadian Stags.
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
Thanks Jim! That helps out! Keep going, looking forward to your progress. Cheers!

Carmen
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Neat idea, I can't believe that I never noticed this thread

zaltar
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 08:08 PM UTC
Really nice work Jim.
I have looked at Stag photos for years and never noticed these mods before.

Gord
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've now discovered that this:

(image deleted)

Was in fact a water heater... It also seems to have been peculiar to Canadian Stags.

From this thread, pictures from Jeff Plowman's book on the NZ 2nd Div Cav Regt in Italy (and in turn from the Alexander Turnbull library collection) describe it as "Crew's hot water supply. The water container is made from a shell case, fitted with tap, screw cap filler, and strapped to exhaust muffler".
 _GOTOTOP