Hosted by Darren Baker
Rusty Corrugated Barn
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hello everybody. Here's something i'm building and thought it may be of interest to some of you.

This barn is to be part of a larger diorama with a halftrack taking cover underneath it . There is still work to do but here is the progress so far. The construction is simple using wood and card.

Below is a mock up of the scene I am going to create.

Four wooden legs and a simple frame have been covered in a corrugated cardboard. This board is flat on one side so does have its limitations but is perfect for this kind of work where it is to be stuck onto a flat surface.

Take some ordinary household silver foil and spray the shiny side with spray adhesive. This is then worked over the card with a soft sponge and a cotton bud to get it into the contours.

The next step was to add some texture to the wooden legs and paint/weather them to look as though they are sun bleached.

Rust was applied using various paints and powders - This is the effect after the first round of paint etc and more will be done later.

I decided to add a few old planks to the rear of the barn to break up some of the metal work.

These have been given their first round of paint/weathering.

Some of the groundwork has already been started.

A tall Stone Pine will stand behind the barn to add some height to the scene.

These are only the first stages of the groundwork and there is still much to be done. The house at the rear of the dio is to be a complete ruin so there will be all sorts of debris/rubble etc added.

Thanks for looking

Ant - TREEMENDUS
http://www.treemendusmodels.co.uk/
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 280 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 11:36 PM UTC
Great looking dio excellent techniuqe with the corrigated steel effect and the ground work is set out spot on. Will be trying my hand at some trees and shrubs with some of these products I picked up at Hudderfield thanks for the tips
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC
Very nice indeed great work with the corrugated iron that is some thing i have had problems trying to do for months and you have made it look so easy lol..Nice idea with the wooden planks they give it a depth and another eye catching detail.Already looks so looks so used and forgotton great work will def be following this one.
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:17 AM UTC
Really nice dio. And liked the technique for the roof. What about some moss and small grass around the floring inside the barn? in between the rocks
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC
This is a very life like looking metal sheet barn!
In some of the pics it looks like the real deal. I especially like the worn look of the wood.

Great piece of work to put a halftrack in!!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Truly brilliant - i've been trying to find a similar technique for months now. Thanks!
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Thanks for looking.

Keith - thanks for your comments and thanks for using TREEMENDUS products.

Andy - good to hear from you. Give it a try, you'll find it easy to get this kind of result.

Jarle - Thanks, there are still lots of things to add to the groundwork. Weeds and tufts among the stone flags being one of the things. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ron - Many thanks. The halftrack is built and waiting for some paint. I kind of get carried away with the scenic side of things once I start though.

Jim - Thanks for your comment. One thing I have found is that you can overlap the foil easily without it being too visible. You can also scratch the surface to give the effect of paint/rust lifting.

Cheers

Ant - TREEMENDUS
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
Love it!!! Working on barn myself and the metal roof is just the ticket!!!! Thanks for sharing
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:40 AM UTC
One source I found useful (without using the foil method yet) for corrugated card was in England last summer when SWMBO (who makes her own cards - no DON'T ask me why) bought a stack of A4 corrugated card which is nice and thin. Fortunately I was able to re-direct a sizeable proportion to the workshop..

It was actually dirt cheap - she got around 20 sheets for a pound or something...
 _GOTOTOP