_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1151 w SPARK Mine Roller
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
I'm also thrilled to do this one as well.......for the same client of the Buffalo..., as well as an M1A1 TUSK and Stryker RV which I will post later..

My 2 cents..
I have to say that Legend's quality is improving, most of the M1151 parts are pretty good... but they've been in this biz for a long while so I hope they would fine tune their thinner parts as well as the larger ones. Still I am a dedicated customer and have built a lot of their IDF kits too..

I am really impressed with Blast-Models..just about every kit I got from them from the past til now are in near perfect condition... if there are ever airbubbles - there are usually just a couple. They did exceptionally well with the SPARK kit having very nice clean parts..careful thought had gone into locating the parts onto the sprue..which made them easy to remove.

I am very tempted to get their Stryker's SPARK and V blade now...

Very importantly...today I recieved some CDs from Robert Skipper' aka 18Bravo, including the Humvee consolidation.. I just got back home and had a quick run through..All I can say that his photos are going to be essential for me to do a super job on this build!
Thanks Robert!

Legend Productions' M1151 which also includes an Interior , GPK, Tires.

Blast-Models SPARK Mine Roller

Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
Now this is the build log for me> i'll be following this with interest, Nick

The Legends kit seems to share interior parts with the standalone interior set which unfortunately has the same problem with some of the the thinner parts.

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC
Look forward to seeing this Nick. I started building the M1151 but gave up after getting really annoyed with the warped windshield, it caused me nothing but trouble. It really is a mystery to me why they can just get these things right.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 05:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the post Anirudh, I haven't test fit the interior yet.. but then I'm not surprised with the potential issues just like the thinner parts.. My approach when faced with fit problems or thin parts -- is simply to scratch a new one, more time consuming but at least I'm 100% satisfied with the result.

Rob, hopefully my blog will get you back to your M1151, I had to face warped parts in almost all the resin kits I built over the years..mostly from Legend.
My girlfriend bought me a hairdryer for this purpose..and if the parts are really bad then Hot and Cold water are your best friend here.

I'm not so "nice"..so I'll say that for at least the newer kits, thus newer molds..they've no excuse. Apparently they just couldn;t be bothered to leave the cast part in the mold a little longer, before yanking it out. Thus the servere warpage.

I'll still support them, they make nice kits. But it won;t stop me from complaining
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 02:11 AM UTC
Seems like my time is only spent on work and never enough photos..

So here's some old photos for an update showing basic work for test fitting of main parts...for side armor, doors, roof.
Main issues are that Legend's side armor was a little small, adjustments had to be made to locate them "off" so the doors would fit. I've lenghtened parts of the armor with styrene...next update will show.
The front windscreen frame was badly ***FRACKING*** warped..The upper end portions were bent upwards, thus the lower opposite portions pulled up. I had to constantly heat it to reshape and it's still not perfect.
Did testing with the driver and he seemed too tall...yup my client wants a driver and gunner for this one. Nope, not going to paint the digital camo..decals will be the way to go.
My client send some left over's of Eduard's photoetch interior and exterior, which are for Academy's kit actually. I'm using what I can.
Presently making the fabric covers for the flooring as well as the seat belts via the M1151 TM.
I'm preparing this truck's interior really crowded, lots of interior detailing and gear...should be pretty cool once it's done..especially with the SPARK Mine Roller and crew.

Anyone has a photo of their Legend's driver in humvee..like to see how you solve the height issue..

kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC
Very nice job!

Could You make a close-up photo of a tailgate - the inner side with an axe?
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 06:43 AM UTC
Looking good Nick, another clean build coming up. I think the Eduard pieces will add quite a bit to the interior as they are a lot finer than the plastic originals.

If its not too much of a problem, would you mind telling me how far the new headlight assembly protrudes from the front of the vehicle. Im planning on scratching the piece, so that dimension would be pretty useful.

Looking forward to more progress!

Anirudh
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hi guys, I've having very much less time for model building so my updates are going to be longer
But I've finished A LOT of work on all WIPs..and will update as soon as I can.

Quoted Text

Could You make a close-up photo of a tailgate - the inner side with an axe?

Kuba, sorry about that I'll get that photo for you soon.

Quoted Text

If its not too much of a problem, would you mind telling me how far the new headlight assembly protrudes from the front of the vehicle. Im planning on scratching the piece, so that dimension would be pretty useful.

Anirudh, There is a ridge over the top and both sides which can even be seen in my photo, that ridge barely protrudes out but none the less it is obvious (look at the sides). Anyhow the entire assembly protrudes out 5.5mm total.

Marcel, Don't sell...Build!

I've finished the SPARK..except for the tiny bits which I will leave for the last..
Made some simple modifications and the thing is positionable!
I had a lot of trouble lining up and gluing the rollers and arms to their base so they will sit leveled on the ground. I still need to make some minor repositioning to equalize the gaps between the rollers..as you can see.
Blast-models had not made firm alignment joints, so a very slight difference between each set of roller assemblies and the whole thing was off! But then..I am quite picky on perfection.

360 degrees Rotating Rollers...

Workable Arms......

Using 0.13mm styrene sheet, I'm also making the covering for the floor... quite the b*tch.

henkp
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
Armorama: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 10:17 PM UTC
nice job nick well done
henk
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 10:35 PM UTC
Excellent job on the Spark. The details of the interior of the Humvve are really nice too.
I second your position about large resin companies that dare releasing warped parts. I'd understand this from a cottage industry but not from Legend.

That's why I'm happy Academy issued their own M1151.

Keep on posting
Olivier
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
I agree with Oliver in every way.

Nick keep up the good work! I'm also prepping for the M-ATV
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanks Guys!

I can't wait to get those plastic humvees...would be a nice change from resin. But just like the resin M-ATV...Not anytime soon!

About warpage...that's so true guys..
Again with this problem..I had gone from almost boiling the part and clamping down and cooling with ice water..in vain, so I had to cut the part in order to get the tension released and straightened out. I'm still working on the windshield frame..
Seems like a simple fix but no..
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
It's good to see you building again, Nick.
I think you got an earlier release from Legend. After I received my M1114 and M1152 last year I noticed the same problems with the windshield frame and suggested they reinforce the inside of the frame with extra "bars" of resin, which they now do. I've gotten naother since then and the problem is gone.

That textured part inside the vehicle - have you thought of Mr. Surfacer or similar product?

Finally, the driver figure requires some trimming, but so does the seat. In your photo you can see the gap between driver and seat. Apparently the seat was designed to see empy, which makes sense. If it came "pre-squashed" for a driver, you'd have to build it back jup to show it empty. If you work both pieces he'll sit far better. I had the same issue with the M-ATV, but after careful scrutiny, I found the seats themselves were too high.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hey Rob,
I am still building, just slower.. but the pics I'm posting is work from months back.. Just need another of me to take pics of my current progress..

I see what you mean about legend's release..I'm glad they've made corrections to it..(Thanks to You) Resin is nice..but problems like that takes the fun out of it!

Surfacer would be workable...but I just like the idea of literally making a "canvas" for the flooring..I think I like to suffer with such work

Thanks for the info on the driver....I'll have to confirm with my customer and work the parts or part. Least I know what to do for my own Humvee build.

Would love to see what you've done for your M-ATV.. I hope to tackle that kit end year or so.

Cheers pal.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 07:22 AM UTC
I'll dig my figure out later and take some photos. Right now I'm so sore I don't even want to move. The M-ATV is on hold until I get certain parts made for the interior. (I don't want to start a riot, but they'll be very useful) I did finally find the perfect mesh for the rubber mats - it's been in my house since I bought it in North Carolina over three years ago. I was going to use the rear grates from old Italeri Priests, but the mesh is much better.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
great job on the detailing of this kit

Quoted Text

by CALLSIGN: AngryDog

Hi guys, I've having very much less time for model building so my updates are going to be longer
But I've finished A LOT of work on all WIPs..and will update as soon as I can.

Using 0.13mm styrene sheet, I'm also making the covering for the floor... quite the b*tch.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe you can use cigarette box foil. It has a texture that is almost scale

this is a picture example using this material

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 05:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll dig my figure out later and take some photos. Right now I'm so sore I don't even want to move. The M-ATV is on hold until I get certain parts made for the interior. (I don't want to start a riot, but they'll be very useful) I did finally find the perfect mesh for the rubber mats - it's been in my house since I bought it in North Carolina over three years ago. I was going to use the rear grates from old Italeri Priests, but the mesh is much better.

What have you been up to that you're sore?
Looking forward to the pics of the fig, will save me time on the sanding and testing.
Something coming up with the M-ATV interior...?

Quoted Text

Maybe you can use cigarette box foil. It has a texture that is almost scale
this is a picture example using this material

I just checked my box of smokes..yup the foil made be a quicker way..thanks for that!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just checked my box of smokes..yup the foil made be a quicker way..thanks for that!

cool, glad it was a helpful idea

_GOTOTOP