_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Seperate Links
cnysmb
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi all this is my first time doing an armour subject (Sherman Vc Firefly) Im not looking forward to the seperate link tracks any advise on were to start? Help Please
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
To be honest I have never built an armor subject with separate links. BUT there are others things that seem as arduous and tedious as that...I take and do jobs like that in many different smaller segments. If the links seem like a pain in the butt take them in segments of 10...

Good luck and have fun!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
The best way to build single link tracks is in "runs". A "run" is a length of track that will be relatively flat like the bottom where the road wheels are and the top, over the support rollers.

Use a straight edge, such as a metal ruler to insure the runs are straight and do not meander to one side or the other.

I build a run for the top and bottom, then 2 shorter runs for the diagonal distance between the sprocket and road wheel and idler wheel and road wheel. I then use the sinlge lengths to wrap around the sprocket and idler wheel and to connect the runs.

I won't connect the runs together just yet. I will paint them after masking the connecting points of the various runs with Elmer's Glue (white glue). This way when the entire tank has been painted, you can then mount the tracks in 4 or 5 pieces after removing the dried Elmer's glue. Touch a little liquid cement to where the plastic is still bare and let dry.

Once the glue is dry, touch up the connecting points and you're done.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC
BTW, AFV Club makes a set of vinyl tracks for this chassis (M4A4 is a stretched chassis) for about $7-8.

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=AC35028
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
Sabot,
Great advise about building "runs". Having mostly built aircraft models most of my life and afew armor kits from time to time. I have only built one or two kits with single piece tracks. They turned out great but I remember them being a pain in the butt to assemble.
Now because of limited space in my home, I have decided to build armor kits and this site has been a great help!
cnysmb
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
Thanks for all your help Im sure they'll come out alright. :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:43 AM UTC
One problem with indi-tracks...build em one time and you can't go back to kit supplied vinyl. LOL
Sabot
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One problem with indi-tracks...build em one time and you can't go back to kit supplied vinyl.

Yes, and I'm considering casting my old Aurora 1/48 scale MBT70 tracks in resin (single and links) to fix up my tanks. Big project that I don't think I'll ever get to.
 _GOTOTOP