Hosted by Darren Baker
Maco Flak 43
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC
Been doing some more touching up and still want to weather the base platform a bit more. Added a few scrapes, nicks and other minor distressing. I specifically took these pictures to give a better idea of the parts arrangements (got a PM request for that).

I'm still unsure of a base and my lacking of skills in that area isn't helping.

I certainly hope that this blog helps someone avoid a few of the problems that I ran into. I mention in the review that the shield is definitely rather thick and would have been nice to have a PE alternative. However, I notice that in some of my pictures that with the right camo and weathering it is possible to minimize this issue.

Questions and comments welcome.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC
So, it's been a while, but I'm sure that we know how life can interfere with things. I haven't had too much time to work on the base/vignette but I am pretty much satisfied with the Flak 43. I did the final weathering of the gun base and trailer and added some scuffs and scrapes where appropriate

In this first picture I have included another 3.7cm gun (PaK 36/37) that I completed for an upcoming review. I think that gives us an idea of the relative size of these things.

A few more pictures of the completed gun and trailer. As always, I am experimenting with various camera settings in total manual mode.

Thanks for looking and comments and questions are always welcome. Hopefully I can settle on a base and scene to display this gun and the ammo trailer (the latter is still not totally painted).

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
Jan, each time I check on this blog I see something in your pictures that I missed in previous ones. This time it's the shading and detail on the actual gun and barrel part. I really like your completed weathering on the base and trailer. I believe that you mentioned in the past that you use inexpensive artists acrylics to achieve this? Do you use an airbrush or hand brush to achieve that dusty look?

Regards,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...... I believe that you mentioned in the past that you use inexpensive artists acrylics to achieve this? Do you use an airbrush or hand brush to achieve that dusty look?

Thanks for you kind comments and observations, AJ. For most of my builds I use Tamiya acrylics with the occasional smattering of Model Master Acryl. Delta Ceramcoat is the brand of inexpensive acrylics that I use for most of the weathering. I believe that they carry them at Walmart and Michael's. The colours vary depending on the subject. Around 95% of my weathering is done with various sized and shaped brushes. The dusty look is usually applied with a piece of stencil sponge held in self locking tweezers. I dip the sponge in extremely diluted paint, pat it off on a paper towel and dab it where I want it.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the info about the stencil sponge. I can really see how that might work. I love all the tips that I find here. My thanks to you and all the others who share.

Regards,
Aj
 _GOTOTOP