_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Build Suggestion for M1114
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I have MIG's M1114 conversion and Legends' IBIS Tek bumper & Tow Bar kit. Using these kits together.. I'm hoping to build something real Interesting or Unique...It can be standard issue uparmor, gunshields, anti-IED,etc or one-off "hillbilly" type..the more "contraptions and add-ons.." the better. I'm prepared for scratch building of course.

Lastly would I need to get Legend's Interior kit?

Looking forward to you suggestions and photos.. THANKS!!

PS: These are the kits I have

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Nick

Just some food for thought

HTH

Frenchy
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hey Nick

Haven't you got enough Humvee's already?

The Legends interior is alright, but suffers from some thin parts (its the same one as in the m1151 kit). Also, I think the Pro art radio set is more complete/accurate. I'd recommend that one instead.

This m1114 belonging to the 504th Infantry Regiment (Devils in Baggy Pants) would make a cool subject:

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hey Henri, the 1st Humvee with the freaking huge grim reapers sickle looks very very tempting.. I also like the last one with the TAGS...

Juankar, yup I know about the MIG shortcomings..but I like to build as many kits of the same thing from different makers.. And this time I'd like to do something no one else did.
I like your M1151..and I'm going to steal some ideas from there! I have one of these in WIP here for a client, but with a SPARK mine roller.

Anirudh, that is certainly a cool color scheme! But it's for my next batch list.. I have Prot art's radios but I think I need their Satcom set?

PS...me thinks we can never have enough humvees can we

thanks for the quick responses guys.. hopefully more with chime in with pics.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Nick
The Humvee in pics 1 & 2 belonged to Task Force Runner, 440th Signal Battalion, 22nd Signal Brigade (both units were deactivated on May 22, 2007).

Frenchy
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 04:20 PM UTC
Henri, thanks for that info.. I'm real interested in building either the "grim reaper humvee" or the TAGS version..unless someone posts something more interesting.

Juankar, What's NPI???
WIP = Work In Progress.
Thanks for your help..
BTW,I'll have more photos later on for my M1151 https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/154998#1299099

PS: I've no holidays too...work work work..but it's a good job building models
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 10:23 PM UTC
You're right, Nick., you can never have too many Humvee's, just as long as you don't have to paint all the crew in Universal Camo, which is a real pain!

I like the one with the scythe as well, but if you want to try some new wheels:

Wheels

For your m1151, heres a walkaround showing the interior and some interesting details: M1151 Walkaround

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hey Anirudh, that's a cool "pimp my ride" humvee!

thanks for the walkaround..looks jam-packed with stuff in there.

BTW, why paint? , just use decals for the figs..or anything else for that matter. I had some helmets, MOLLEs and Alice packs in my present WIPs and used the camo decals from Sinsengumi , they are pretty convincing.. Will update on those blogs soon as I can.

Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Nick

The decals had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure how to get them to fit and stay in place. Perhaps I'll try them on another project. Anyway, the WIPs of the figures should be up on my Abrams thread soon, if you want to see.

Can't wait to see your threads updated!
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC
Anirudh, Yes I've been following your M1 thread...really cool! I admire your attempt at painting the camo for the figs... (they are outstanding btw!) . I'M TOO LAZY AND WOULDN"T! Your Dio is comin along very nicely, love the car as well!
I have a few TUSK I s and one TUSK II WIP coming up..I'll be doing a TUSK I with mineroller as in that photo on your thread as well.
As for the decals, they are great, but a lot of patience will be involved to get them along the contours of whatever object..you'll surely need setting solutions for them.

Juankar, I got more Humvees to complete this year and looking forward to them..particularly love the customising. The "crystals" (clear sheet??) you referring to..how do you cut them? they look pretty challenging to slice.

BTW the grim reaper M1114 is growing on me....unless someone else posts something more interesting..it may very well be the ONE...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Me too I like the M1114 "scythe", but this piece in reality, what it is?.

It's a predecessor of the Rhino Anti-IED device. Here are more pics that may help :

I've found a few more details about it but I don't want to be rapped over the knuckles...Once bitten twice shy ! (still a sensitive subject for some )

On a side note, I think that the Humvee in picture #3 in my previous post may belong to the 440th Signal Battalion as well.

Frenchy
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 11:09 PM UTC
Wow Frenchy! Just how do you get these photos? I'd love to know how large your collection is. I'm guessing it takes up a hard drive of its own.

I'm glad you like the figures Nick, but I have redone the camo as I didn't think the base colour was right, so hopefully some new photos should be on soon.

Can't wait to see your Abrams with Tusk's. I have soem photos of that particular tank if you'd like a better view of it.
I'd also recommend the Tankograd TUSK book. Are you suing the Legends or the PSM TUSK kits?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd love to know how large your collection is. I'm guessing it takes up a hard drive of its own.

In fact my OIF photo file weights about 6 Go (more than 15 000 pics..)

Frenchy
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
Sorry I didn't reply sooner...THANKS for the responses guys!

Henri,
Again Very Cool pics and thanks for the explanation... Maybe I should just build a few of those Humvees with predecessor type Rhino device

What type of INTERIORS would these Humvees have..?? Photos anyone???

Anirudh,
Yes please send me those photos of that TUSK I tank with mineroller ! [email protected]
I have the Tankograd TUSK book,btw and using the Legends TUSK I & II kits
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Just an update guys, I've decided to do the "grim reapers sickle" version.
I will be mounting the M2HB and scratch building the rear spare tire mount as well.
Would appreciate any photos or information on the specific areas.
Also, anyone has photos and measurements of the Stretcher?
Lastly, what kind of antenna set up am I looking at here...? I want to get the interior correct.
THANKS

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just an update guys, I've decided to do the "grim reapers sickle" version.
I will be mounting the M2HB and scratch building the rear spare tire mount as well.
Would appreciate any photos or information on the specific areas.
Also, anyone has photos and measurements of the Stretcher?
Lastly, what kind of antenna set up am I looking at here...? I want to get the interior correct.
THANKS

The squarish antennae on the hood in front of the passenger seat is a Blue Force Tracker antennae.

The light assembly on the bumper with the black colored lense is an infrared drive light. The light that it puts off is visible with night vision devices only.

The tow rope on the front is a manufactured tow rope that is ordered through the military supply system. These have been in widespread use since late 2003.

I don't have any idea what the black square/rectangle is under TF RUNNER.

I'm doing some research to see if I can come up with any solid information on the turret shields.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Nick

The turret glass panels are Humvee windshield halves :

I've seen some variants that were more "sophisticated"

The litter looks like this one (picture from a military surplus store) :

It measures 90 in. long x 7 in. high x 23 in. wide when unfolded. It should be very similar, if not the same, to the one you can see here

HTH

Frenchy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi Nick.
Too late for you, but I'd like to see someone do a Slovenian SF M1114. These dudes are not to be trifled with. Best SF unit I've ever worked with:

This is the current stretcher, which is see-through mesh. Michael's and other similar stores sell a black mesh that is perfect, as it has wire reinforced edges. I hope to show the stretcher on the vehicle as in the photo in about two months. (big hint)

And whatever you build, don't forget the Hellfighter. You can google it to get good images, or I can send you some of the one I'm using for the headlight on my bike.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 06:18 PM UTC
Thanks Brent!

Quoted Text

The squarish antennae on the hood in front of the passenger seat is a Blue Force Tracker antennae.

So that'll be same as in Pro Art's Satcom kit. But does anyone have a close up of the rectangular frame?

Quoted Text

The light assembly on the bumper with the black colored lense is an infrared drive light. The light that it puts off is visible with night vision devices only.

This one ya? http://www.auroracord.com/products/headlight.cfm

Quoted Text

The tow rope on the front is a manufactured tow rope that is ordered through the military supply system. These have been in widespread use since late 2003.

Did some checking, looks like Braided Line will do.

Quoted Text

I don't have any idea what the black square/rectangle is under TF RUNNER.

Ya what the heck is that..!?

Quoted Text

I'm doing some research to see if I can come up with any solid information on the turret shields.

Thanks Looking forward to it!
The shields look like Legend's GPK kit, but this one's front ends are shorter. How thick would the armor be?

Quoted Text

The turret glass panels are Humvee windshield halves

How thick would that be? The plastic Tamiya ones look too thick. Anyone got photos of this by itself? I'm looking at how the running edge details would be.

Henri, great photos and measurements of the Stretcher! and thanks for doing my work for me.. !!!

Quoted Text

Hi Nick.
Too late for you, but I'd like to see someone do a Slovenian SF M1114. These dudes are not to be trifled with. Best SF unit I've ever worked with

Hi Robert, next year would be possible for sure. However it's their tires that I would have to outsource.

Roger on the Stretcher's material..
How far along are you with your ride? Please send me your Hellfighter pics..
[email protected] or
[email protected]

I'm really looking forward to buying your "(big hint)" in 2 months... Our country had these on display this year!
 _GOTOTOP