_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Braille Battlefield
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
After concluding the Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign I have received numerous requests/suggestions that we have another small scale campaign. At the present time I and considering the following:

1. Airfix 1/76 Nostalgia - This has been the most numerous as far as requests goes.

2. Braille Battelfield - This would encompass almost anything between 1/144 and 1/72 scale.

3. 1/76 Nostalgia - This would encompass any 1/76 scale kit by Airfix, Fujimi, Matchbox, JB Models or Revell. If I missed any manufacturers they can also be included.

4. Finish that Braille Kit - A campaign that would revolve around either finishing an incomplete Braille kit or building one that was in the stash for too long.

I am looking at a time frame from November 15/10 to May 15/11.

I appreciate that there are a large number of campaigns at the moment and have picked that time frame accordingly. Here is the perfect opportunity for those that have shied away from small scale to give it a chance. You never know what you can do until you try.

So for all you slouches out there, I've ran the flag up the flagpole so let's see how many salute it.

Cheers,
tread_geek
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
I am very good at starting models and never finishing them so I'm a sucker for any campaign about finishing kits already started (like MSW's currently running Dry Docked campaign). I have a Matchbox FT17/Char B kit and AIrfix 40mm Bofors kits to finish.

I have just recently discovered 1/144 armor kits. I'm hoping they don't have individual link tracks. A company called Atelier Infinite is carried over at Hobby Link Japan. I am tempted to get one just to see what they are like (and if my eyes are good enough to build one).
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
I'm currently working on my first 1/72 build and I have a handful of other kits in this scale. I would join a 1/72 campaign, or a campaign that encompasses anything 1/72 and smaller.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am very good at starting models and never finishing them so I'm a sucker for any campaign about finishing kits already started (like MSW's currently running Dry Docked campaign). I have a Matchbox FT17/Char B kit and AIrfix 40mm Bofors kits to finish.

I saw the MSW campaign and I must admit that that gave me the idea. I also found that there were quite a few members of the Matchbox campaign that had unfinished kits they wanted to enter.

Quoted Text

I have just recently discovered 1/144 armor kits. I'm hoping they don't have individual link tracks. A company called Atelier Infinite is carried over at Hobby Link Japan. I am tempted to get one just to see what they are like (and if my eyes are good enough to build one).

Individual tracks in 1/144? I don't think that even I would be that masochistic.
So by your posting here may I assume that you are interested, Gary?

@ vonHengest - Thanks Jeremy, that makes two positive and one probable.

Gary, I also have an unfinished Airfix Bofors kit. It's eons old and was packed away during house restorations.

Cheers,
Jan
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC
Jan,

Since my Italeri M1 Abrams conversion wasn't finished for the "All Hail the Abrams" campaign, I'd love to be able to finish it during a "Finish that Braille Kit" campaign.

tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 03:07 PM UTC

Count me in Jan, if its not brand-specific. I've picked up some 1/72 Trumpeter kits when the LHS had a big sale a couple of months back. They seem to be in good condition sans the box, and 3 kits for about $10 total isn't a bad deal. Cheers -- Tat
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 03:23 PM UTC
I'm in! I had a blast with the Matchbox campaign. Still got plenty of small scale stuff on the shelf.....
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 04:40 PM UTC
I am keen!

I favour the "Airfix" or "finish it" propsals
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 07:57 PM UTC
Cheers Jan, for the start of another great campaign! Have one on me!

So... I'm still with the Airfix crowd. But I would broaden it a bit. Any Airfix kit, OOB to superdetail, including "finish the job" builds. That would get in the started kits as well and would keep away questions whether a kit at such and such a state can enter. I also think a general braille scale campaign is too broad, there's really no connection other than the scale and it leaves a huge amount of options. Imagine a 1/35 scale campaign...

(OK, so what about my 1/48 scale campaign you ask? Well the scale is relatively new and there are only a limited number of kits available so far.)

My 2 cents...

Cheers!
Stefan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 02:47 AM UTC
I'm not really int Airfix kits. I have Dml, Revell, and Trumpeter kits in 1/72. (I also have a pair of Leopards in 1/144). If a braille scale campaign is too broad, then perhaps we could have a braille scale vs. campaign (like the cats vs. dogs campaign on Braille Scale Montly Competition), or a specific (but not too specific) subject matter campaign.

Also keep in mind that not all countries have an aftermarket for small scale models. The US being one of these countries...
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
My thanks to all of you for supporting this proposal. It's only been a short time and here I am back at making charts. Hmmm, maybe this could turn into a second career .

So as early as it is in the planning there seems to be a trend here. I have purposely not marked anything for myself as I am still mulling over the possibilities. No decision has been made but here's an idea I put together today.

Quoted Text

Many modellers, even if it is not their preferred scale, have Braille scale kits in their stash or kits in the scale started but languishing on the work bench or forlorn in a box. The purpose of this campaign is two fold. Firstly, it is to be an incentive for individuals to finish started kits in the Braille scale range. The second is to have those that have not recently or ever built a Braille scale kit to try one. Your job will be to move the subject into your motor pool facilities and construct, overhaul and/or finish it.

This is only a proposal based on the results of the chart so far. I think that further feedback is required before any definite decision is made.

@Dangeroo - Stefan, I appreciate that some of the possibilities seems a little broad but as the above snippet explains, there are those that for whatever reason have shied away from trying small scale. There are many builders during other campaigns I have been in that have expressed interest in trying small scale if the right opportunity arose. That's kind of the idea of what I was shooting for.

@vonHengest - Jeremy, thank you for your input. Even though this campaign is in it's preliminary stages, this is the time for everyone to express their views and ideas.

One new point to consider is do we open this campaign up to other types of builds (ie - aircraft). As Gary mentioned there is currently a finishing campaign at MSW so that area is ">covered.

Cheers,
Jan
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 05:06 AM UTC
I'm more for the finishing campaign. I checked out those resin 1/144 tank kits and they are expensive (around the price of a 1/35 kit). All I have around in 1/72-1/76 are kits started.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
Another campaign already, Jan??? If you go for a completion campaign then I will probably join. I have more partly built small scale kits than I do built ones. I had thought about entering that Tank Overhaul campaign but it seemed to end so fast. How about calling it Braille Overhaul or something pertaining to the small scale like tweezers or magnifiers. Not very original but shows that I have the spirit.

Regards,
AJ

Edit: Just had a thought after I posted this. How many people have multiple uncompleted kits lying around. Why not make a rule that two have to be completed to get an award?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC
AJ, you might just have something there. Duel, duo, duet, duel, roulette...there is something unique there and I'll have to think about it. Along Jeremy's line Protagonist and Antagonist, Axis and Ally, Two builds, but each must be a different nationality, one or both kits can be incomplete but one must definitely have been started and incomplete prior to the campaign.

As Col. Hannibal Smith from the A-Team used to say, "Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together."

Keep those ideas coming...

Cheers,
Jan
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 08:03 AM UTC
I am on for any of the campaigns, but would prefer no. 2 or no. 3. These campaigns would also leave lots of possibilities for the modeller without being too broad. Campaigns with lots of participants seems to be more entertaining for participants.

Just my 2 cents.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
Thanks for your thoughts, Jesper. I hosted the chart above on Photobucket but it seems to have problems updating to a new chart. I've moved the chart to one of my servers.

I must say that this is quite quick to have ten individuals interested. However, I can't do anything further until a theme and such is set. Obviously option 2 and 4 are extremely popular so might I suggest we focus on them. Based on that I have decided that this campaign will permit incomplete models to be entered.

Just a thought but how about those entering incomplete kits must finish two while those starting a new kit only need to build it.

Thoughts and comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Cheers,
Jan
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
Count on me...I have begin many Matchbox kits,and i need another campaign to complete them.So,i am your man.
I forgot, I am for Section 4...
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count on me...I have begin many Matchbox kits,and i need another campaign to complete them.So,i am your man.
I forgot, I am for Section 4...

Thanks, Dani. I was hoping that you and others from the last campaign would join us. I guessed at your choices in the chart but they should still fit.

I mentioned our dilemma in choosing a name and a concept to my SWMBO and she came up with a gem. She asked, "What did they call that thing were the military downsized and eliminated excess stuff after the Cold War?" RIF Reduction In Force. She stated that any SWMBO would appreciate the stash and any "dust collector" (unfinished build) being reduced.

If there aren't any objections I think that we have a concept. Any Braille scale build (1/72 or smaller), built or not, that is taking up space, would be eligible. We can work out any further details later for the Braille RIF Campaign.

Cheers,
Jan
greywolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi Jan, count me in, would love another braille campaign.

" I've ran the flag up the flagpole so let's see how many salute it. "
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a thought but how about those entering incomplete kits must finish two while those starting a new kit only need to build it.

Or we can have folks building Airfix (or those who plan to super-detail a kit) a little something extra in their ribbon -- like what the Germans did with their Iron Cross awards -- some had oak leaves, oak leaves + swords, etc. It incents folks to either stretch / test their skills or settle for something simpler***

I'd vote for either 2 or 4 -- offers a broader choice thus the potential for having more folks join in. I hope OOB is still the minimum. Just my random thoughts this morning, better get some caffeine in the bloodstream...

Cheers,

Tat

PS ***and we all thought that building those Matchbox kits were that easy.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 04:20 PM UTC
Tat: Not all countries have good access to aftermarket products for small scale armor kits, North America suffers greatly from this. Just something to consider...

Jan: How about this- we can have a small scale Twofer campaign. Any small scale kit (1/72 and under) is eligible. However each person who enlists must present a one-two punch in one of these forms:

1) Vs.: Adversary vehicles (ie: Sherman/Tiger, Panther/IL-2 Sturmovik, VIIC U-Boat/PBY Catalina)

1a)Two of a Kind: Two vehicles of the same chassis type (ie: Opel Blitz + Opel Maultier, M4 Sherman + M7 Priest, Tiger 1 + Berge Tiger)

1b)Pair: Two vehicles that work as a team (ie: artillery tractor + towed artillery, infantry support + infantry, armored unit + tank buster aircraft)

2)Unfinished: Finish any two unfinished/neglected kits

3)Superdetail: One kit + extensive aftermarket and/or scratchbuilding

This would help to not overgeneralize this campaign, and it would fit many people's interests.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tat: Not all countries have good access to aftermarket products for small scale armor kits, North America suffers greatly from this. Just something to consider...

Yes Jeremy, same situation here. I guess that's why OOB (as a minimum) for campaign builds appeal to me more. For me having AM parts adds more to the build time, and to the costs as well. Do hope that Jan keeps this as he did with the previous Matchbox campaign. Cheers -- Tat

NWBrit
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

I’d be interested in a new Braille scale campaign.

If pushed my preference would be for Airfix or Any 1/76th, but in the end I’d join whatever the theme.

Though it is impractical as a campaign ‘rule’ I do think encouragement to enter models that have been sat in the stash for … mmmm … some time is a good idea.

I find Jeremy’s pair of models concept quite interesting provided doubling the amount of work does not put too many people off. Too his list of options I’d add two vehicles that performed the same function in different time periods.

Just some of my thoughts for now.

All the best.

Chris
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC
Jan,

I'm in! I'm working on a Fiat 15 now.....little resin kit with the same issues as the 18 that's now "done" and primed.

I have an unfinished T-34 from DML. I have NO Airfix kits but a bunch of DML and some un-named little 1/76'er.

Anyhow, add me to the list for a traditional Braille build or Braille finish-build. Can't do it if it's manufacturer specific.

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC
I'd vote for finish a kit. I am great at starting them, but not so good at finishing them. I also really hate to paint.
 _GOTOTOP