_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Panther Variants....
propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
I normally build aircraft, but have recenty purchased a Panther. Aust A to build (when time permits).

I was just wondering what the external differences would be between the A, D and G variants. (I don't think the F went into production?).

Only differences I can see would be the D seems to lack a front m/g. I thought I'd found a difference with the chin mantlet on the G, but it seems some have it and some don't.

Any pointers appreciated.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Alex,

Hi - you'll probably get more replies if you post this on the Armor/AFV forum, but the basics are:

D - first production variant, hull MG used an armoured "flap", sides of hull have a downward "step" towards the rear to fit the radiators

A - second production variant! Similar to the D, but with proper hull MG ball-mount in "kugelblend" housing.

G - later "improved" variant with simplified hull sides that remove the "step", new hull hatches that have simple hinge, extra armoured "chin" below the main gun to prevent shots deflecting down through the thin hull top, raised fan housings on engine deck.

I have no idea why we don't have B, C, E variants!

Hope this helps,

Tom
propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the swift reply, Tom.

So the 'D' came before the 'A'.........interesting!

As for the step in the sides of the hull, I'm guessing that's sometimes hidden from view by the armoured skirts that are sometimes fitted.

Can't wait to build my 1/35 Tamiya kit!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I normally build aircraft, but have recenty purchased a Panther. Aust A to build (when time permits).

I was just wondering what the external differences would be between the A, D and G variants. (I don't think the F went into production?).

Only differences I can see would be the D seems to lack a front m/g. I thought I'd found a difference with the chin mantlet on the G, but it seems some have it and some don't.

Any pointers appreciated.

The D model had a drum shaped cupola with armor glass windows, and pistol ports in the turret sides. Early models had a larger "communications port" on the commander's left in the turret side as well (large enough to eject shell casings), and a snorkel cover mounted on the center of the engine deck aft of the hatch. Hull machine gun was a simple armored flap. Driver had a rectangular vision port as well as periscopes.
The A model had a tapered, cast cupola with periscopes instead of windows. Early models retained the letterbox machine gun port, but a ball mount was introduced from October, 1943. The turret joints were simplified, with rectangular interlocks instead of tapered ones, and the trunnion mount castings were modified. Hull top joints were changed midway through production from interlocking joints to butt joints, but both body types were seen through the end of production. Later in production, two slender air intake pipes were added alongside the left exhaust pipe, which cooled the exhaust manifold.
The G model retained the same basic turret, but later, the gun mantlet received a vertical "chin" segment on the bottom, so rounds would not deflect down into the hull deck. The hull sides were made steeper, and the small vertical segment at the lower rear was eliminated. A horizontal rail was introduced to support the side skirts, replacing the individual hanger brackets seen on the D and A. The driver's vision port was eliminated, and he received a rotating periscope mounting instead of the two fixed mounts seen on the D and A. The cooling air pipes were eliminated at the left rear, and the exhaust housings were changed, initially being cast, later welded from plate, and finally cast again, but to a different design. Engine deck grills were reduced in size. In the fall of 1944, the flame hider exhausts were introduced, large drum-shaped sleeves that covered the exhaust pipes and masked any flames (the engine was inefficient, and much unburned gasoline would flare off in the exhaust). From October, a raised fan cover was mounted on the left, which diverted air to a crew compartment heater. Sliding shutters were mounted on the two rectangular grills on the right, to regulate oil temperature in winter.
The F had a completely redesigned turret, which was ballistically superior, and featured a stereoscopic rangefinder. Production of the F was repeatedly delayed by Allied bombing of the assembly plants, which led to a backlog of G components which had to be used up first. There were at least three F hulls on the assembly line outside of Berlin when the Russians captured the factory in April, 1945. No F models are known to have been delivered, but the records of the factory's last four days are missing.
propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC
Excellent, thanks for this Gerald! There's a lot to go on with here. I'll look through my photo collection and practice spotting the difference.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC
Alex.

Although we appreciate you visiting the warwheels forum, others are right; you'll get more replies at the other forums. This forum covers armored cars and wheeled fighting vehicles.

_GOTOTOP