_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club M35 with Quad .50's
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 10:30 AM UTC
Well here’s the newest model on the chopping block, AFV Club‘s M35 with quad .50‘s. This is not going to be so much as a build blog, but more of a painting blog as I want to try out some new painting ideas. This model has been built up many times over the years so I won’t go into great details about the construction other than it’s mostly out of the box with just two parts replaced with plastic sheet as the originals were damaged over the years. This model is interesting to me as I started to build it back before I went into the army in 2002 and has sat in my parents shed in the back yard ever since then. Just a few days ago, I was going threw the shed to get rid of things we do not need anymore when I came across a box of my old models. Surprising this thing managed to survive the years in the heat and humidity and brought back old memoirs. Unbelievably, my first truck that was assigned to me after I got out of AIT was a M35A2; only mine was not as cool as this beast. Any ways I’m planning to try out some new ideas I have for painting my next models and decided best to use this old one so I don’t ruin any goods ones, hopefully my ideas will work out they way I want them too. I will keep everyone posted on my progress along the way.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
Well I have completed the basic painting of the truck and so far I am happy with the way I had planned things turned out so far. I used three different painting techniques for the base painting, first I used the pre-shading method, then color modulation, and finally some hairspray techniques. For the pre-shading I sprayed, the overall model flat black to act as a primer and help darken some of the shadow areas. Next came the color modulation, the base color I used testor’s olive drab ana 613 mixed with some medium green and a touch of flat black. After that, I added a little bit more flat black to the paint and began some of the darker shadows until I was happy. From there I added insignia yellow to the paint to lighten the mixture for the basic highlights. I used painter’s tape and post-its to mask the areas I did not want any over spray to help bring out the different panels. I also varied the paint mixture in some areas to added variety to the paint like the side armor panels. The final step I used was the hair spray techniques for the cargo bed; I wanted the paint to have that nice scuffed and used paint look to it. I began to spay the bed with some flat brown, flat black and olive drab for basic dark scuff look. Then I sealed the paint with semi-gloss varnish and hit the bed with hairspray. Next, I used my olive drab mixture for the top coat and allowed it to dry just a bit before scrubbing the painted areas. To me this was much easier than trying to do paint chips by brush and much more convince. Now from here I can begin to add highlight painting to certain areas to bring the truck more to life.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 11:09 AM UTC
Well I have completed the basic painting and now I am ready to begin weathering the model. I used some Vallejo paint to mixed up some highlights while changing and adding different paints to the mixture for the highlights. I used some fictitious markings for the truck, also changed the bumper codes and serial numbers too. The Markings were painted by hand using Vallejo paint and some model master acrylic. I came across a M35 built up over on track links decided why not, after all I’m from Texas and this build is just meant for testing purposes. Next up, filters and washes to start the weathering process.

corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 11:20 AM UTC
I think its looking pretty good. I have often thought about building one of these. I really like the look of the floor, nice and used.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC
Filters are now complete as you can see it changes the paint just ever so slightly, just enough to add some variation. The key was to allow each layer to dry enough before applying another coat or even changing types of filter. The key for me was to use darker filters in the shadows and the lighter filters in the highlights.

In addition, I began to paint some of the gear and equipment to have in the cargo bed. Here I painted the ammo cans various shades of olive drab to give some life to the build and help break up the monochrome paint scheme.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 05:30 PM UTC
The paint job is great and the different shade of OD on the ammo cases is a great touch, I will remimber this while working on the M1078 SF.

Good luck with the bill
Cheers
Seb
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 06:45 PM UTC
Christopher: I wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain your painting process and for the great pictures you have to accompany your text. This is very useful to me, and especially so because I have thought about combining some of the techniques together that you have, particularly the preshading with the color modulation. Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers

Jeremy
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:43 PM UTC
that is a realy cool build,you have done agreat job on the paint and the kit.
BigDaddybluesman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 11:07 PM UTC
The filters soften and blended the colors. That makes it look more realistic. I tried using them and did not get as good an effect. I'll have to try again on my next build. It was an M48A3 that went flying without wings....LOL...smash. I didn't have a good camera then so I only have some blurry pictures. I'm going to build a few of them, different version. I also have some guntrucks and gun mutts lined up.

You used the filters very effectively.

I would maybe add a little dry brush here and there to really bring out the edges. If you look at any vehicles outside even a car or truck, the sun or any light source seems to make the edges look in some cases almost silver. To get that effect I use oil, buff color and when I seal it with flat I found that a little gloss clear works great over the edges too.

It's more work but I think that little extra brings it to life. Especially on little items like weapons or any other things that would blend in. Everything is a shade of green and is really meant to blend in on purpose. We have to do the opposite and bring out the details because of the scale.

Anyway it does look really good so far.

Are you going to add figures? That really makes a model for me, tells the whole story. Hobby Fan makes a 3 man kit for the M35 Nancy, a gunner and 2 ammo helpers if I am not mistaken. I haven't tried to fit the gunner in yet but I bet it won't be easy and I will have to use my dremel. At least they are Vietnam era.

I cannot tell you how many M35s I rode in the back of and 5 ton trucks too.
 _GOTOTOP