Hosted by Darren Baker
New Nam War scenery. "Jungle scene"
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi everyone, this is about my fourth bases of Vietnam war series. I design this scenery happen in the jungle below the waterfall in Vietnam somewhere. This scenery emphasize to the handmade model trees and other groundworks such as turf, branch, grass, and leafs. I start this scene with 5cm. thick foam and cut it to 30x30 cm. for the base and add some scrap foam to be a knoll and rock. I just finish the ground texture and some of the model trees on today and can start next step of groundworks after the glue is dry. Thank you to every suggestions and comments.

add ground texture with tissue paper.

coming soon with next update about trees and groundworks. Thank you.

meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
hi Prasert, once again a very interesting design. i like the idea of the high walled gorge for a setting. my question is, do you find the tissue paper easy to work with compared to plaster clothe? i take it you use thick paper towel style tissue?

i can get the plaster clothe they use for making casts for broken bones for free but never really used it recently. thanks for sharing my friend, cheers. mh.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
Great start1 I'm a huge Vietnam modeler, and have always struggled with interesting diorama ideas, but this one is sweet!
Keep us up-to-date on this one!
Thanks!
Rod
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 11:20 AM UTC
Hi Prasert. Interesting scene.
Of course we don´t see the image thats in your head, but one thing that strikes me immediately and is something you maybe should consider is that this base looks very balanced. Too balanced. The trees are evenly situated on each side of the waterfall which is placed perfectly in the middle. The leaves will hide a lot of the view maybe? It might be better to run the stream diagonally through the base and only have the trees on one side, so the waterfall and whatever figures or storyline taking place can be seen?
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 05:35 PM UTC
Prasert,
Looking good so far will be following this one. I don't remember ever seeing pictures of your last two finished. Did I miss them? Looking foward to your updates.
Tom
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 07:25 AM UTC
Thank so much to all suggestions and reply.
Meaty:Thanks Mh, it's very difficult to buy the plaster cloth in my country only way that I can find this I much go to the medical supplies shop and to expensive. Another reason that I use paper because it easy during stab all of trees, grass to the surface of it. Have a nice day MH.
Rod: Thank to yours reply and nice to hear that you also Vietnam war diorama most popular work. Have a nice day Rod.
Frank: Perfect suggestion. Thank so much Frank. I layout trees as yours suggest and it look good so I use to push all of trees in one side as comment. Thank you and have a nice day Frank.
Tom: Hi Tom, thank so much to yours reply. I had posted other works in the "nam war series" khe sanh and here some of the pictures of the work.
"The Tunnel Rat walk way"

"Hut"

Start with another step of work on the scenery of Nam war "Jungle scene"
I finish about making model trees on today and add fake mud to the surface of the scene. This scenery design to fill about 6 trees to the scene. The height of trees are 25cm. for 3 and 20cm. for 3. After finish of the fake mud cover, it much take about one night to wait it dry so the groundwork accessories can start on tomorrow. Thank again to all comments and suggestions and see you soon for next update.

cover all surface with mud.

twisted wire model tree.

I use plastic leaf add to the model tree.

2 of model trees fill on the top of scene for today and waiting for the mud to dry.

another 4 trees can push on tomorrow together with groundwork accessories.
Pictures of groundwork reference.

meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
wow Prasert, i never thought about how hard the plaster clothe would become for putting trees and thing through... good point about using tissue. i like how your diorama is followed by the reference pics that have influenced you, for a second i thought "hey Prasert added a waterfall, cool!!" cheers, mh.
num2010
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi, P'Jeab.
Nice to see you here again....apologize I didn't reply you when you post comment in my forum "Who will survive"...at that time I was new here in Armorama. But now I try to get use to with the web board feature here.

Get back to the discussion.

Your desinged base is fantastic one, the technique you using is great idea.
- Base making with lighten wieght
- Cover with tissue + glue, nice idea

I love the way you making trees, everytime I saw, wow!!

Normally I making base using plaster and craft it, drill the hold to place trees, then stored it with glue. But yours looks much & more better than mine...don't you mind if I wanna apply it?

One question please, what material you gonna use for water, rasin?

Waiting to see an update. Thank you.
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi MH, as yours comment about tissue work it easy to push all things to the surface and very good idea MH for the waterfall add. Have a nice day my best friend.
Hi num2010, very excite to meet you again, bring your best work dioramas come and join here. Hope to see you soon.
Today with my next step work of this scenery, six trees already add to the scene and together with some of groundworks. The first cover crop of turf has stick to all
surface of the scene and wait till everything come dry and tightly. The next step is about to add others grass, small trees, branches, and fall leafs. All of these can start on tomorrow and with my new update. Thank you for all comments.

I had order this two US.seal figures from Easy Hobby HK. and take about 15 days waiting from now. I decide to use these support to the scenery.

This small trees and other groundwork coming for next update.
Thanan.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
Prasert,
Looking great, your ground work is so realistic looking. Looking foward to your next updates.
Tom
melvin
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 04:44 PM UTC
i have an interest in vietnam dios . i am working on a french indochina dio. will follow this closely.looks great.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 04:55 AM UTC
Now that is some great groundwork! That is what I call a very realistic jungle! Fantastic work, and thanks for posting a picture of the materials you used, as its given me some new ideas for my dioramas!
Thanks for posting!
Rod
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 08:34 AM UTC
Tom: Thank again to your reply and coming soon with next update. I going to do this scenery go together with the "Battle in the city". Have a nice day Tom.
Darin: Thank you for your interested of this scenery and please follow up to my next step. Have a nice day Darin.
Rod:Many thanks to your special kind words and hope that you continue to my next step too. Have a nice day Rod.
See you soon.
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi all friends, this update I had finish add some of the groundwork accessories to the scenery. I increase small trees that use real branch, climber trees from real tree branch, handmade grass, palm leafs, elephant ear leafs. This update just finish about the groundwork and coming up for my next work is to make the waterway with resin and some effects dress up to the water. Thank you for every comments and have a nice day to all.
prepare branch and handmade tree.

meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
awesome groundwork Prasert, the diorama with the work on the trees looks perfectly suited for a patrol of soldiers to get lost in. thanks for sharing all the steps. cheers, mh.
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

awesome groundwork Prasert, the diorama with the work on the trees looks perfectly suited for a patrol of soldiers to get lost in. thanks for sharing all the steps. cheers, mh.

Hi MH, Thank you to your reply my best friend. Have a nice day.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
Prasert,
What can I say but awesome looking ground work. You have mastered the art of making trees and vegitation. Keep up the great work. Looking foward to your next update
Tom
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi Prasert,
Your work is truly awe inspiring. You are a master of the art when it comes to groundwork. I'll be following this one closely as I am also a Vietnam war nut like a few of the other guys on this thread.
Some of that mud would look great with footprints in it!
Keep up the good work & I'm looking forward to your next update.
Joe.
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 08:44 PM UTC
Many thanks Tom & Joe with both special kind words to my preview.
Joe comment:Some of that mud would look great with footprints in it!
Yes, Joe I forgot to do it during the mud work. Thank you for this comment and can't forget to this to my next scenery. Have a nice day to all.
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I had finish this step of scenery groundwork about make watercourse to the scene. First I want to do this watercourse with resin but after look at the picture reference of Vietnam war make me change my mind. I decide to do it similar to the picture that look like a wet mud and some problem with the resin that about the strong smell it a little effect to my health. So I choose to use plaster gypsum and uhu glue to make this watercourse. For the last step of this scenery is waiting for figures to come to my hand maybe another 4or5 days and after the work of figures I can show you soon. Thank you to all of you and many thanks to every comments and suggestions. See you soon. Thanan.
The reference pic. use for this watercourse.

Fill gypsum plaster to the waterway of the scene.

Push down to make some effect with folk.

Use sheet of plaster cover top of the gypsum make the second effect after the folk.

Prepare tree branches to the next step.

Cover the top of gypsum after it dry with glue to look shiny.

I use UHU glue to make the last effect of this water for more shine and gloss than add down some tree branches.

pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi there!
The jungle groundwork is simply astonishing!
Superb!
Keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers.

Pablo
sfctur1
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
Prasert,
That is an awesome diorama base. Thant you for showwing the step by step.
Looking foward to seeing it once the figures are in place.
Tom
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Have to agree with the guys here, Prasert. Your work is simply amazing!
Cant wait to see the figures on it, too.
Joe.
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC
Thanks a lot to all reply.
Pablo, Tom, Joe. I am very happy that you all like this preview and the complete work can show again after finish of all figures. Have a nice day to all of you.
Thanan.
ColonelRoberts
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 05:35 PM UTC
All I can say is WOW!! I have tried making wire trees before and not with much luck. but after seeing all of this, I am going to give try again. You have inspired me and your ground work is great. can't wait to see what you do next. thanks for sharing your work with us.
 _GOTOTOP