Hosted by Darren Baker
First snow - BA 64b
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 10:48 AM UTC
This kinda started out as an experiment, as I wanted to try out some techniques but ended up being an diorama - which is more or less done except for the final touches - like slings for the weapons and things like that.

The car is the Vision Models BA 64 B released by Miniart - a quite nice kit with a reasonable level of details. Its build out of the box with the addition of the fabric behind the spare wheel. Still need to ad glass for the front light. Its painted a green base and whitewash is done with hairspray (one of the techniques I wanted to try out)

The commander is a altered figure from the kit - the infantry on the ground is Tamiyas good old set - not bad for its age.

Base is entirely scratchbuild with the addition of items from Miniarts Street assessories and a surplus piece of chain - snow is a mix of baking soda, plaster, white glue and water - another technique I wanted to work on.

Enough talk, heres the Pics - as this is an experiment, I am very interested in any advice ...!

Cheers/Jan

brynje
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC
I really like the action going on in this dio
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC
well done indeed Jan, this is a great piece. the problem i have had with baking soda is its tendency to make "clumpy" snow rather than delicate snow, something you have well avoided. i had seen this model on the Miniart site and am pleased to hear you enjoyed it... it is quite unique.

nice figures as well, especially their faces.

if you would like some feedback the only thing i could question is the newly made crater tells me it's new because it has no snow inside it. having said that, then the surrounding snow would have more piles of dirt and debris also uncovered by snow showing me dirt had been newly placed on old snowfall. i believe that some clumps of mud and dirt on the snow in the craters vicinity would perhaps be in keeping with such a deep blast, sort of a transitional area where dirt and snow are more mixed rather than a hard break.

this is only a minor point in an otherwise stellar scene, really would want to see it in person to get the best view of it. cheers, mh.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 01:05 PM UTC
Smuk dio! Or, nice scene!

You have made good use of the Miniart details and the Tamiya figures.

Cheers
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
If only all experiments turned out so well! Very nicely done indeed
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 03:26 PM UTC
Another masterpiece Jan! I love the way the shell hole adds depth with the different colour in the middle of all of that snow!

zaltar
num2010
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

well done indeed Jan, this is a great piece. the problem i have had with baking soda is its tendency to make "clumpy" snow rather than delicate snow, something you have well avoided. i had seen this model on the Miniart site and am pleased to hear you enjoyed it... it is quite unique.

nice figures as well, especially their faces.

if you would like some feedback the only thing i could question is the newly made crater tells me it's new because it has no snow inside it. having said that, then the surrounding snow would have more piles of dirt and debris also uncovered by snow showing me dirt had been newly placed on old snowfall. i believe that some clumps of mud and dirt on the snow in the craters vicinity would perhaps be in keeping with such a deep blast, sort of a transitional area where dirt and snow are more mixed rather than a hard break.

this is only a minor point in an otherwise stellar scene, really would want to see it in person to get the best view of it. cheers, mh.

I agree....

Actually, this is very nice dio, I love it.

Just only a bit comment, I hope that you don't mind.

- The poster on the wall, it's look new but it's in the war and shold more damage from fires, gun fires. The way can make this old, after print it out, crush it a bit.

- I wonder, when soilsers walking on the snow...I didn't see footprints. May be you already made them but the picture you took didn't close them up.

But overall, another nice one I've seen.

Cheers!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi Jan. I like this little dio. The figures and poses are composed well and make use of the base shape and details. Everything else looks good but its the snow really sets it off. Could you please go into a little more detail how you did this ... did you wet the groundwork and shake the baking soda on top .... make a mix and add it wet ... or a combination of both?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC
Very good job, Jan. It looks great. The snow came out very fine.

Thanks for sharing
thanan
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Jan, nice weathering for tank and figures I specially like a small diorama too.
My comment is about the tank wheels. It more complete if some snow can add around. Thank you for the nice dio.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Good experiment. The old tamiya figures are put to good use here- well done.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC
Jan,
A very nice job here. I would just add some more snow into the crater to make it look like an older 1 and for the poster a quick wash with some black acrylic would dirty that up some more. Boy I wished my experiments turned out this good
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:52 PM UTC
Thanks everybody for your comments - really appreciate it.

Regarding:

The footprints, the are there but not very visible. I think I will give the a slight wash in the bottom of the print and see it that doesn't make them stand out a little more.

The crater: I like the dark contrasting withe the snow, like if the crater was made after show has fallen. In that case there ought to be more disruption from the impact as Mr. Hellhound rightly points out - probably the easiest would be to ad some snow to the crater.

The Poster: needs a wash - agree!

The snow: Mostly baking soda sprinkled over white glue - larger deposits is a mix of bakingsoda, plaster, glue and water mixed to a gooey consistency and applied with a spoon on the walls and other parts where I wanted a more thick layer.

Other things to do - snow deposits on the wheels, boots, lower parts of uniforms

Thanks for your input - Cheers/Jan
 _GOTOTOP