_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
SAS Pink Panthers
Gulf11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hey Gents I need some replacement weapons for the SAS Pink Panther. Anyone know of a good soucre for the GPMGs etc. I'm also looking for a few crew weapons. Suggestions as to what I should use or look for is appreciated.
Thanks
Sean
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hey Sean. I'm glad you've visited the forum and hope you're doing well...

Anyway, a wee bit of help here, although not as much as I'd like to provide as I'm really not an expert on the British Military in general...

The Land Rover Series IIA based "Pinkie" was used roughly from the late 1960's through the late 1980's-early 1990's. Sooooo... IMHO whatever type of kit was used during that time by our Brit friends would be fair game. Now, Maybe someone can help you with what that stuff ACTUALLY was during that period...
USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 03:58 PM UTC
What period Pink Panther are you interested in? Since the introduction of the Series II in the mid 60s, "Pink Panther" has referred to both the Series II and the later Defender models used by the SAS. Are you needing SLRs or M16s for crew weapons? Accurate Armour makes the Canadian M16s currently used by the SAS as a weapons set as well as including them with their Land Rover SAS crew. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the scopes mounted--they change so often. As far as SLRs, Firestorm makes some in resin; Italerei has one in their old modern weapons set from the mid 80s; one can also be found in Dragon's Vietnam weapons set-if you can find it. The FN MAG can be found on Dragon's Modern machine gun set (along with anL4A4 Bren gun in 7.62 mm) as well as in several figure sets from Iraq/Afghanistan. Verlinden has a British Gulf War machine gun crew that has an FN MAG in it. The weapons you need can be found, just may take a bit of looking around once you decide what you want. Hope this helps you some. I think Legend also has an FN MAG set in resin (I bought one several years ago) that was aimed more for Israeli forces, but works for British forces as well. Do not know if it is still in production. May have to change the gun mounts. Good Luck!
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi Sean,

another SOF project?! I can´t wait to see it finished.

Since you need a pair of GPMG, go for Legend´s set. It´s actually meant for IDF but you get 2 GMPGs in one set and don´t pay for anything else.

I also read an article saying that 0.3 cal MG was mounted in rear.

Good luck with the construction. I have mine already built and it was real fun.

Jiri
Gunner-steve
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 01:27 PM UTC
The Dragon Modern US infantry has a quite a good GPMG. I recently completed an Australian LRDG, based on the Tamiya Pinkie and kitted it out with the Dragon L7/Mag58/GPMG, the M16/M203 and a few other bits and pieces I had laying around including an old F1 SMG from the dragon vietnam weapons set
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC
any pics mate
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
There is an article in a recent Steelmasters "Thématiques". The guy used Blast Models machine guns.

I don't know from which Blast sets the MGs are from, maybe an IDF set? I'll ask them next week.

Cheers,

Christophe
Gulf11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Good looking article. I'm going to have to look for it.

Thanks all
Sean
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Sean,

The GPMGs could be replaced with the Legend ones, the SLR's should not be put in the wing boxes. they collected too much dust. The weapons might have been replaced at a later date with M16's. The Pinkie was out of service by Gulf 1 theses vehicles saw primary use in Oman. Have I sent you the pictures of an original Pinkie?

These vehicles where looked after so do not show heavy wear and massive chipping, the tyres did wear out on a regualr basis so would not have paint on them. The pink paint was mixed using red oxide primer and white it was not bought or specially made. By the way a friend owns the real Pinkie.

Regards

Brian
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
Have to go along with what Brian says but the vehicles although well looked after mechanically did suffer.ive pictures of them with the weapons boxes missing from the wings with the green showing,dents chips and scuffs.
miss matched tyres...
 _GOTOTOP