_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy M3 Lee suspension correction
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hey Guy's,

Just got the M3 Lee as an early gift, but after reading what is wrong with the kit, I wrote a letter to Model Rectifier Corp., US distributor for Academy models. The response I got was a coupon to mail in so I can get a tree of parts that they say will correct the suspension, from the M7 Priest?? They say it is a limited time, to mail in the coupon plus $8.00 for shipping, cheaper than one of the hard to find correction sets in resin or buying an entire kit. Just thought I would share this with you all.
Contact [email protected] for the coupon and instructions.

Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hey All,

Sorry i jumped the gun, got excited. What they tried to sell me was the Grant sprue and from what I read it was still incorrect for that one as well??
So nvr mind.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 12:40 PM UTC
The new parts are correct. The original bogie design in the Academy kit was made too tall so they could use their existing Sherman volute spring part, a really stupid attempt to save money. Academy was widely condemned, and actually redesigned the molds with correct (shorter) bogies and new, smaller springs. These parts have been included in the M7 kit, as well as later boxings of the M3 Lee and Grant kits. MRC has offered to replace the incorrect parts for "free" (if you overlook the hefty shipping and handling fee). If you have the early release, by all means get the new parts.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Thanks Gerald,

Good to know that the parts are corrected, but if they corrected the kits, how do you know your kit is an older release or one of the corrected ones? there is a small piece of paper that says correction and shows diagram for suspension and gun and mantle for the turret. I thought this may have been a correction for printing the wrong part numbers? TIA
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gerald,

Good to know that the parts are corrected, but if they corrected the kits, how do you know your kit is an older release or one of the corrected ones? there is a small piece of paper that says correction and shows diagram for suspension and gun and mantle for the turret. I thought this may have been a correction for printing the wrong part numbers? TIA

The best and old fashioned way is to measure them with a ruler. The correctly scaled height of bogies should be 10.7mm and the incorrect kit bogie is about 13mm.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Gerald,

The best and old fashioned way is to measure them with a ruler. The correctly scaled height of bogies should be 10.7mm and the incorrect kit bogie is about 13mm.

Not to be glib, but measure from where to where? What are your reference points on the model parts for your measurements. 2.5mm isn't so much that a couple of points on the bogies couldn't be mistaken for the measurement points.

Paul
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC
Here's PMMS's photo...

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/academy/images/acd13212d15.jpg

Left to right....

uncorrected, corrected (from the M7 kit), photo of real thing. Seems like it's visible enough to figure out which one you have.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Gerald,

Not to be glib, but measure from where to where? What are your reference points on the model parts for your measurements. 2.5mm isn't so much that a couple of points on the bogies couldn't be mistaken for the measurement points.
Paul

Here is what Jesse was trying to point out from PMMS. http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/academy/acd13212d01.htm Photos will clarify the bogie housing height I was referring to.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 10:31 AM UTC
I had just gotten an Academy M3 at my LHS. It must have been an old boxing, because it had the too tall bogies. I sent an email to MRC and they responded rapidly. All I had to do was send them a couple cutouts from the box and mail those to them. Then they would send the 'fixed' parts. I did so 10 days ago and got the package today. They sent the whole tree!

BTW, for free. So are the old bogies good for anything else?

Thanks.

John
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had just gotten an Academy M3 at my LHS. It must have been an old boxing, because it had the too tall bogies. I sent an email to MRC and they responded rapidly. All I had to do was send them a couple cutouts from the box and mail those to them. Then they would send the 'fixed' parts. I did so 10 days ago and got the package today. They sent the whole tree!

Thanks.

John

Old bogies aren't accurate for anything, so not really.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC
Thanks Jesse.

melende
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks.

John

Hi Guys, I just got an M3 Lee by academy after giving up on Dragon coming out with one anytime soon. I sent an email to MRC and they responded saying they wanted the UPC code cut out and the MRC sticker cutouts. Where and what is the MRC sticker cut out on the box. There is a sticker that has the NJ address...is that it??

Thanks!
Eric
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks.

John

Hi Guys, I just got an M3 Lee by academy after giving up on Dragon coming out with one anytime soon. I sent an email to MRC and they responded saying they wanted the UPC code cut out and the MRC sticker cutouts. Where and what is the MRC sticker cut out on the box. There is a sticker that has the NJ address...is that it??

Thanks!
Eric

Yes, MRC is based out of NJ.
melende
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 01:46 PM UTC
Is that the sticker they want????
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that the sticker they want????

It's the only 'sticker' on the box that would come from NJ, is it not?
melende
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 01:57 PM UTC
Correct! Thanks.
melende
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 01:03 PM UTC
So I sent the letter and MRC just sent me the correction sprue fast and for free!! Awesome.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:04 AM UTC
Dredging up an old thread, but does anyone have an e-mail address for MRC so I can look into those replacement bogey sprues?

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:19 AM UTC
Google search is your friend.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/contactus/index.asp
lucasner
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 06:30 AM UTC
Sorry to bring this up yet AGAIN (and yes, I read all the above posts and have measured my bogies with a micrometer),
I just bought both the Lee and the Grant kits, but I've had their M7 for a while.
I am safe to assume that since the heights of the bogies in both the M3 kits are exactly the same height as those in the M7 kit that I have good bogies for all three?
Thanks,
Dave
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to bring this up yet AGAIN (and yes, I read all the above posts and have measured my bogies with a micrometer),
I just bought both the Lee and the Grant kits, but I've had their M7 for a while.
I am safe to assume that since the heights of the bogies in both the M3 kits are exactly the same height as those in the M7 kit that I have good bogies for all three?
Thanks,
Dave

Yes, there was never a problem with the M7 kit. Only drawback of the correction with the shorter suspension units is that Academy's vinyl track is now too long.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks,
Dave

Just to confuse the issue the later release of the Grant (with the crew) had the correct bogies from the M7 kit.
Al
 _GOTOTOP