Hosted by Darren Baker
AMX 30 B2 from heller The build
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 02:18 AM UTC
ok so I started this weekend I want this to a oob build but as i started i noted that I'm going to have to add some much needed detail coments welcome
thanks dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC
Nice start, talk about sink marks!

cheers
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
I built the Old Heller Kit about 10 years ago was a challenging build . But looks the part. Looking forward to your build and updates.
pilote14
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 432 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
Great job for this old kit updated !
it' an Heller good luck !

a french modeler
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
just leave off the "er" in your thread and you're there!

I love the subject though!

Chris
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
This is a tough subject, but it looks like you're headed in the right direction. Will be watching this one.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
hey guys thanks for all the feed back there are some pic to get you'll thought the weekend more next week thanks dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 01:27 AM UTC
David,

This is looking great! I think Heller has made some slight improvements in their kit engineering over the years. Still it's not up to industry standards, though, for one of the more "senior" kit makers. Some of those AMX-30 parts look like garage-kit resin instead of engineered plastic from one of - or what should be- the industry leaders and giants ranking up there with Tamiya, Italeri and Revell.

Just wanted to say, too, those were some outstanding builds that you brought to the AMPS meeting Wednesday night. Thanks for sharing them!

Mike Roof
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks mike I had a lot of fun can't wait for next mouth I'll bring this build so ever one can see were I'm at
Dave
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 03:53 PM UTC
@Mike
I'm not sure if you guys know or not, but the reason some parts look like resin castings is because this particular kit is a combination of the Heller AMX 30/105 kit and the Azimut Productions AMX 30 B2 conversion set. I think Azimut sold/gave/partnered up with Heller to put out this kit. I have the AMX 30/105 kit and the Azimut conversion set but haven't started it for two reasons... 1) I don't have good enough reference on this tank and 2) the tracks suck.... You can imagine my attitude when I found out that they joined up to put out this kit, especially when I want to build an Op Daquet AMX 30 B2.... Murphy's Law eh?

I've recently noticed that Fruil has put out a "call for information" on this tank's tracks... so hopefully sometime in the future we'll be able to see some after market tracks for this tank. I know you want to build this OOB, but I think it's helpful information for those following your thread.

No to jump too far ahead.... but David do you mind taking and posting some images of the kit tracks and decal sheet? I'd love to see what condition they're in. Mine appear to have been pulled from the mold when they were still molten so I'm hooped... and I don't have any Op Daquet decals.

Also - If you're looking for some good images check out Olivier Carneau's website:
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm

I'm locked on your build! Looks awesome so far! Cheers!

Carmen
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC
Good luck with that build, maybe a chinese company will dare to produce a decent AMX 30

S**** Christmas was a month ago
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've recently noticed that Fruil has put out a "call for information" on this tank's tracks... so hopefully sometime in the future we'll be able to see some after market tracks for this tank.

Hi Carmen,
I won't bet my shirt on a soon Friul release. Moreover according to their site Friul are asking for information about the current tracks i.e. the end connectors type and not the early ones which are suitable for a Ops Daguet tank.

But the good news is that Heller announced a to be released set of individual links tracks. They can't be worse than the not so soft plastic bands that come with the kit.

Concerning the decals, I can't answer about the content of the kit but the tanks during Daguet only displayed 3-digit numbers on the skirts and on the turret bustle along with the V as of the crossing of the line of departure. These can easily be hand painted.

Olivier
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier! All good points, I've made some notes and put them in my AMX 30 kit box. Do you know if the Heller individual link tracks will be the early ones or the later ones? I hope early... I'll keep my eyes peeled for them when they are released. Cheers!

Back to Dave... how are you progressing?
minimanfactory
Visit this Community
Vas, Hungary
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hey,
If You are patient enough, You can have Friulmodel tracks for the AMX.
There is under prototyping...I know from first hand, I made the digital pattern :-)
nooplwb
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:34 AM UTC
Actually both Primeportal and Olivier's site contain enough ref pics on the tank(both B2 & Brennus).The track set comes with the 'New' Heller kit is a lot more soft than the 'old' one,different material,maybe?,Yes,the resin 'upgrade package' is the Azimut B2 conversion set BUT:
1)It comes with some new parts,such as the driver hatch,cupola ring...etc;they were NOT included in the original Azimut package;
2)Some parts have been remastered,such as the rear panel,MG...etc.
The resin package would certainly make the Heller kit better.....please forgive me for saying this(I am not trying to put anyone off)....loads of scratch building would still be needed if you want to have a decent AMX30.
Bill
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Gabor,
as you made the master can you tell us whether Friul will release the early or late type of tracks. If it's the late type, do you know if Friul will include the new sprockets ?

Bill, I hope your Brennus is seeing the end of the tunnel

Carmen, I have no idea about the type of tracks Heller decided to go with. My guess is this will be the early one to replace their kit tracks without changing the sprockets.

Olivier
nooplwb
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:19 AM UTC
Olivier,
Thanks,I have gone through most of it....cupola and 3 turret baskets would be the last 4 things to go.
I hope to have it done in a month time(not include painting I mean).
Have a nice weekend.
Bill
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good luck with that build, maybe a chinese company will dare to produce a decent AMX 30

S**** Christmas was a month ago

Yes, one thing is for sure, we'll all have gray hair, or no hair at all, before DML or Tamiya decide to produce one. Well, maybe not. Tamiya did produce a Leclerc, which was a step forward, even though they asked a bit much for it, and threw in some unnecessary bits, like metal wheels, while leaving out the photo etch, without which the kit is unbuildable. I imagine Mr. Tamiya must have really come down hard on someone for this bad blunder. Maybe he sent out a fax in triplicate, like Iko "Jitz" Fujitsu, Marty McFly's boss in "Back to the Future Part II: "McFly, I saw that! You're FIRED!"
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hey all had a rough weekend CPR suck's!!!!!! well got some work done here are some pic and thanks for all the coments hey Carmen here are the pic you wanted to see thanks dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 08:10 PM UTC
Nice update David,
thanks for the pics.

cheers
Walter
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hey all update for you I add some cast detail to the turret and I have to say that the rails on this kit were a realy pain in the ^$%@$@^#^$&^#%$& hope you like see you guys next week
dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 01:55 AM UTC
Look really good
Keep it up.

We will see what future bring

Cheers
Seb
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi Dave
nice job on the details but I think you've overdone the cast effect on the turret. On the real one, it's quite smooth.
Look at the pictures on my site

Keep on the good job.
Olivier

dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks olivier for the tip that suck because this the first time that I tried adding the texture to the turrent o well out come the sanding stick !!!!!!!!
Dave
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hey Dave,

Try a little 0000 steel wool to soften the cast texture. Might have to go to 00 or 000 to knock it way down, but it should be easier and more uniform than with the sanding stick ot sand paper.

Looking forward to seeing this one at the next meeting.

'Til then - looking good!
 _GOTOTOP