_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Panther Tank?
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 02:58 PM UTC
Think of building one of my Dragon Panthers G or F in to a IDF Panther???? yep you heard right and before anyone gets carried away please read on (please note red oxide is not mention anywhere) ....

Scanning the web awhile back I found out that the Israeli High Command looked into building their own Panther tanks!!! in the 1940's presumably from a captured production line. They idea came to nothing as Israel didn't have the resources at that time, plus it as easier to get hold of ready made Tanks from elsewhere...

So the question is 'What if'... Israel has gone ahead with this idea, getting hold of a production line (lets put aside the problems of raw materials etc,etc) maybe the one the British Army had in it's hands (I know unlikely due to the problems in Palestine etc...) but they did build Panthers would they have gone with the standard turret or gone with the Schmalturm turret? plus what other modifications would be likely.
Was the Schmalturn turret a production ready item or merely a prototype at the end of WW2?

Have a read of this discussion as there is quite a good debate about this idea...

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/12613

I like the idea of a Panther G with IDF style upgrades ....105mm / Detroit diesel /.5 Browning's etc, still operating in an alternate 1970's I think it would make for an interesting model/design concept...

Right ho flame away!!!!

FlaminPole
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 05:41 PM UTC
Think about some applique armor around the turret and hull, a storage box on the back of the turret, and add some locations for upgraded weapons sights and scopes (etc); maybe an IR spotlight?
matt7871
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi there Duncan

I like the idea of a IDF Panther G, Keeps us all posted on your work, It would be great to see some pictures of the finished model

You've given me a great idea of what to do with a 1/72 Panther G now

Matt
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
Sounds like a neat idea , you could also convert a Bergepanther into one of those cool Centurian / T- 55 type APCs the Israeli have. A more plassible
"paper panzer " IMO than a lot of those '46 German tanks.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Think of building one of my Dragon Panthers G or F in to a IDF Panther???? yep you heard right and before anyone gets carried away please read on (please note red oxide is not mention anywhere) ....

Scanning the web awhile back I found out that the Israeli High Command looked into building their own Panther tanks!!! in the 1940's presumably from a captured production line. They idea came to nothing as Israel didn't have the resources at that time, plus it as easier to get hold of ready made Tanks from elsewhere...

So the question is 'What if'... Israel has gone ahead with this idea, getting hold of a production line (lets put aside the problems of raw materials etc,etc) maybe the one the British Army had in it's hands (I know unlikely due to the problems in Palestine etc...) but they did build Panthers would they have gone with the standard turret or gone with the Schmalturm turret? plus what other modifications would be likely.
Was the Schmalturn turret a production ready item or merely a prototype at the end of WW2?

Have a read of this discussion as there is quite a good debate about this idea...

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/12613

I like the idea of a Panther G with IDF style upgrades ....105mm / Detroit diesel /.5 Browning's etc, still operating in an alternate 1970's I think it would make for an interesting model/design concept...

Right ho flame away!!!!

Other than one unattributed sentence on a web board, I've never seen any evidence of this. On the face of it, I'd say it was a pretty preposterous idea, even if someone really suggested it. Postwar Europe was littered with operable (or repairable) surplus armored vehicles--even with embargoes on war materiel, it would still have been easier (and cheaper) to get Shermans through unofficial channels, which is ultimately what the IDF did.
Of course, model building is merely a pastime, so you can build anything you want.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Duncan,

The AchtungPanzer website also mentions the Israeli interest, so as long as you want to play "What If?" then how about the IDF getting one or two from the French (who certainly used them post-war) or another of the European users? After all, the gun in the M50 "super Sherman" was a French derivation of the Panther's 75mm...

Whatever you do, remember to post some pics of it for us all to enjoy!

Tom
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
"Other than one unattributed sentence on a web board, I've never seen any evidence of this. On the face of it, I'd say it was a pretty preposterous idea, even if someone really suggested it. Postwar Europe was littered with operable (or repairable) surplus armored vehicles--even with embargoes on war materiel, it would still have been easier (and cheaper) to get Shermans through unofficial channels, which is ultimately what the IDF did.
Of course, model building is merely a pastime, so you can build anything you want."

Wow, this is a WHAT IF, relax ............

Duncan

I think that it would make a great" What If" project no matter what, and keep us posted.

Anthony
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 04:40 PM UTC
Since the French are the most likely "delivery point" for either tanks or fabrication maschinery how about using the French test report (from Spielbergers "Panther") and doing some "frenchification"?

+ French 75mm as used in IIRC the AMX13
+ Maybe stereoscopic sights (but in a G-Turret) or at least additional sights for the gunner

Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 08:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the support guys!!!

I think = Tom and MBR 'mmeier' point is very valid and possible as the French used Panthers for some years after the war and as he states led to their 75mm on the AMX.

A Bergepanther converted in to a 'Achzarit ' type APC is a very cool idea, maybe after I get this done, thanks for the kind words about this being a more plausible idea than a Paper Panzer.

I will definitely keep you all posted, will be starting soon off to ebay to get some bits!!!

Gerald thanks for the input
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
One more idea:

Many elements planned for Panther/E50 materialized post-WWII in the MBT60 derived tanks (Leopard I, AMX-30) so taking hints and elements from them wouldn't be out of scope. I.e the box like IR/white light shooting spotlight on the mantlet
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
Why is it "preposterous"?

It's certainly no more "preposterous" than that MIG Productions walking KV2, or the scratch-built U.S. Rubble Walker (superbly done, BTW) shown here just recently.

Plus the Syrians had Panzer IVs, and were still using them in 1967. So why not a "What If" Israeli Panther?

I say do it, and give your creativity free rein!

- Steve
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:03 PM UTC
Thanks again MBR you've raised some good points again, I will be combining some of the M6O, AMX etc elements as you suggested.
Been looking in on the 'IDF furum' here too! Wow some fantastic stuff on there, plus I was amazed how much 1/35 IDF conversion and kit is available out there.

I've ordered quite a few bits and bobs from fleabay now it's just a matter of waiting for them to roll up from all points North of here!
I haven't done a build blog before so this will be all new for me but bare with me once parts and things start coming together I will start putting up some pictures.
Graywolfgang
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 303 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks again MBR you've raised some good points again, I will be combining some of the M6O, AMX etc elements as you suggested.
Been looking in on the 'IDF furum' here too! Wow some fantastic stuff on there, plus I was amazed how much 1/35 IDF conversion and kit is available out there.

I've ordered quite a few bits and bobs from fleabay now it's just a matter of waiting for them to roll up from all points North of here!
I haven't done a build blog before so this will be all new for me but bare with me once parts and things start coming together I will start putting up some pictures.

From what I do remember reading a long time back the Israelis did try to acquire some Panthers from France, but a no go.
Take a strait Panther G add a 30 cal in the bow a 50cal up top and add a little more armor and you would have a good candidate for the first round. Then do a Panther G-1 with a new engine, air filters, lights and such. You would have to come up with a different name for it like they did for the Sherman’s ( M50 & M51)
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Fred, thanks for you input, your second variant is roughly what I am going to build, I am now building this Model as part of the 'What If' campaign and had to wait for start date so updates soon.

Regards Duncan
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 02:00 AM UTC
Sounds like a way-COOL idea, to me!

What a bit of turn-about! Israelis driving Panthers. And more fun still, fighting Panzer IV! Deeee-lish!

In the What IF mode, I can see perhaps two different scenarios:

1) An early - post-war adaptation of the Panther G right along the "Frenchification" model as has been poked at above - pretty much taking the available G and adding in the "ex-US" MG and some other bits (maybe keeping the German OVM and rear boxes, and also perhaps adding racks & German gascans (there being any number of those around), a spare wheel rack, and an early version of the over-barrel light).

2) A later, up-graded version: I would go with the Schmalturm because it would offer that new gun-sight set-up, and would have increased survivability (an issue near and dear to Israelis), with a bustle box or rack, maybe some applique armor bits, up-dated spot-light set-up. This newer (alternative 1970's) tank would also come with some adaptations for urban warfare: screens and/or shields over or around ventilation openings, mine ejectors, smoke bomb racks, etc. which show up on real Israeli equipment. A shielded commander's MG would be a cool addition. Maybe also some sort of rear-deck personnel - carrying arrangements? And think "the local epidemic of RPGs"... The Israelis might also have added modified schurzen on the lower hull sides, and reactive armor could be a feature.

You can be sure that this newer tank would come with lots more commo stuff - so there should be multiple antennae of different types...

I think this newer model would also have some version of steel-wheels (just because. no real notion as to WHY!).

One thing I think would have HAD to happen would have been engine changes to cope with the historic over-heating and fire issues - some external mods to increase ventilation would maybe be in order?

Just some wacky opines, of course!

What and how-ever you go, this sounds like a neat WHAT IF project and I look forward to seeing whatever comes of it!

Bob
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 02:05 AM UTC
Duncan,

I think you need to join our "What If?" campaign, bring this preposterous Panther, and build the heck out of it !

More more more I say!

G

Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
Why would a panther in IDF service be preposterous ?!

Heck, didnt Israel use ME-109's in the beginning.

Duncan, you go ahead with that cockamemie idea of yours. Post pictures of the Panther or its all just balderdash !!!
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:40 PM UTC
Bob.... thanks for the input some good idea's there, here's what I'm going to build

Panther G, basic late war surplus stock (from where? well er... it is 'What if')
rebuilt engine deck hinting at a Detroit diesel, I've gone with the standard turret but will have a lot of mods.
105mm main gun .5 Brownings and FN's and a 'Urdan' cupola to name a few ideas rolling around the old Noggin!

Also I am remembering what Steve Riley said... "I say do it, and give your creativity free rein!"... very good advice indeed!

Wayne..... I've joined I was going with a IDF Hetzer, a real nearly/what if but changed my mind (JellyFish moment ... ) at the last minute!

Lou..... 'Project Cockamemie-balderdash' is real just in the early stages, please bare with me as 1. I want to do a good job and 2. this is the first Model I've ever shown on here so be gentle...

Regards Duncan.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 03:33 AM UTC
You could always go with the IDF acquiring Panthers ready built from France (who IIRC had about a regiment in service postwar.) If you do that I would look to the weaknesses of the panther, britttle armor and a pretty poor transmission, as well as problems traversing the turret, then just let your imagination take you to solve those problems, as well as to modernize the vehicle.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 03:47 AM UTC
If you're going to be taking on any surgery to the rear deck, you may want to consider an upgrade to a relatively modern British or American diesel powerplant and a newly fabricated exhaust.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 10:47 AM UTC
The Bundeswehr owns a Panther A (Command) with a Leopard I diesel. This is the vehicle in Munster tank museum. Maybe there are some pictures of that to be found showing the engine deck. The vehicle is in running condition.

Israel used the French 75mm on their M50 Sherman variants. The E50/E75 was designed for guns up to 105mm so maybe using this on a Panther chassis works.

And finally how about combining the british L11 120mm gun with a Jagdpanther chassis?
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 07:16 PM UTC
Here's my background story to how the IDF get hold of Panthers (artistic license abound) for the 'What If' campaign......

.........."So the Panther gets the green light, original I was going use a Dragon Smart kit as a base, but I realized i was going to be doing quite a bit of modification so I got hold of Tamiya Panther Type G Early Version of the every faithful fleebay.

Mods will be 105mm main gun, .5 Brownings & FN's, Reactive Armour, a modified turret with M60 optics etc (thanks to MMeier for that idea) and other IDF mods etc, etc from an alternative 1980's

Right Ho background story......

Fact.... In the 1950's Israel approached the Czechs about purchasing Hetzers from them the deal came to naught as the Czech's kept playing around and altering the price so the IDF went to the French and bought Shermans from them.
The Hetzer's ended up being sold to the Swiss Army about 160 odd of them.

What If.... the deal goes through and as a sweetener to keep the Isrealis on side the Czechs throw in all the Panther they have about 200 or so including about 15 BergePanther ( Did you know .... the Czech railways used BergePanther up and till the 1980's)
The French even keener to get the IDF deal back on with them offers up all their Panther along with plenty of wrecks for spares to get the deal for the 800 plus Shermans the IDF will eventually buy of them.
Other panthers are source from various places and various means?

Both deals happen and the IDF ends up with a force of about 300 Panthers along side its Shermans and are first used in the Sinai War and although there are allot of breakdowns the tanks perform well. The Panthers are up against the T34/55 and JS3's and in capable well train hands (against a not so well trained enemy) make for a feared presence on the battlefield actually out waying its actual performance, but because of this and other factors the IDF decided to keep them on.

Even as Centurions and M60 are bought the Panthers soldier on fondly regarded by their crews ... upgraded over the years into the final mark of Super Panther with Detroit diesel / Auto transmission and a Royal Ordnance 105mm main gun.
Latter as the Panthers really begin to show their age they are pensioned off into reserve forces with about 50 Hull's being converted into a 'Achzarit' (style) urban combat vehicle".........

The 'Archzarit idea is my get out of jail-free card if I stuff up cutting the Panthers turret
I have the Tamiya Panther G kit and an Academy M60 Blazer, plus a lot of extra bits & pieces from 2x Dragon Panther smart kits, strewth you get a lot!!
My aim is to build a practical what-if, this is why I'm using a standard turret but with M60 optics sights/upgrades.

The JagdPanther with a Cheiftain 120mm is an excellent idea, if (BIG 'if') I go ok, I may just build that to go along side the Panther.
I actually got a M50 75mm to use but it didn't look the part, it looked like a standard Panther with a different muzzle brake, I did think about an early IDF version just post-French delivery with a few upgrades but this is 'What-If' so I'm going full on!

I was trying to get a Translation of 'Panther' in Hebrew then get the English pronunciation, in a similar idea to = 'Achzarit' anybody help?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
A couple things to consider (BTW I love this idea):

If the Panther has been upgunned the French 105 seen on the M51, then the ammo storage would become a problem. You might consider sacrificing the bow gunner for more ammo stowage, just like the Firefly.

If you go further down that road you find that you've eliminated the radio operator. It then makes sense to add a radio bustle to the turret, again like the Firefly, which also brings the crew jobs into alignment with Sherman & Brit practice with the loader operating the radio. You might think of angling the walls of such a bustle to mimic the turret wall angles. Just cause it'd look cool.

If changing the engine (& I think you should) the Israelis would likely go fo rsomething a little larger than the 460 hp Cummins fitted to the M51. The Panther is much heavier thatn the Sherman and would need a larger diesel. This would implt that perhaps the readr face of the hull should be bulged or extended (as were the M51s) to fit the new engine.

Just a few thoughts. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Paul
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A couple things to consider (BTW I love this idea):

If the Panther has been upgunned the French 105 seen on the M51, then the ammo storage would become a problem. You might consider sacrificing the bow gunner for more ammo stowage, just like the Firefly.

If you go further down that road you find that you've eliminated the radio operator. It then makes sense to add a radio bustle to the turret, again like the Firefly, which also brings the crew jobs into alignment with Sherman & Brit practice with the loader operating the radio. You might think of angling the walls of such a bustle to mimic the turret wall angles. Just cause it'd look cool.

If changing the engine (& I think you should) the Israelis would likely go fo rsomething a little larger than the 460 hp Cummins fitted to the M51. The Panther is much heavier thatn the Sherman and would need a larger diesel. This would implt that perhaps the readr face of the hull should be bulged or extended (as were the M51s) to fit the new engine.

Just a few thoughts. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Paul

Great mind think alike Paul!!! I am doing away with the bow Mg completely with the ball mount being removed (or not glued on ) I got the idea from how the IDF modified their MBT Cent's and I will also cover up the radio operators hatch possibly with some Armour angled towards the Turret! As the IDF operate over huge areas they carry loads of spare so a un-designed ??? as yet basket/cage will run from the turret seam below the cupola back and round the new turret extension carrying wheels water & Ammo cans etc, etc...
I already cut out the rear engine deck as that's not going to be right and the rear/back will be cut and shut to take a M60 rear section...

Right Ho.... very, very early days.....

I just wanted to get some motivation, noting is much glued as blue-tac is being the man holding stuff on/up!
A Dragon 'Erzatz M10' has given up it's mantlet which will become a more modern version of the late war 'chin' mantlet.
The Turret has been cut off just between the cupola seem and the edge of the back of the turret ready for a big turret extension/bin, also cut out is the rear deck as Detroit diesel awaits!
I plan on adding a applique Armour too.......... but that's a longggggggggggg way off, tonight I'll try and finish the turret extension tonight!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
interesting what if you got here Duncan i'm going to be following this one with great interest
 _GOTOTOP